Sponge or Mitt?

Started by paulj, April 4, 2020, 17:05

paulj

A long time ago (30+ years) I worked in a garage cleaning cars.  It was the days of sponges and chamois and I have stuck with that system ever since.

But staying in has had me looking at google.  Am I perhaps stuck in the dark ages as materials and technology has moved on?  Wash Mitts seem to get equal good and bad reviews on the web so I would really appreciate any views.  And is the chamois a thing of the past also, should I be using a microfibre cloth?

Always willing to learn from you fine people!

Thanks.

PS the car did get a wash today with the sponge (!)
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Chilli Girl

I, like you Paul for years used to use a sponge and chamois until I got Foxy 4 years ago but now I use a micro fibre sponge which basically is a sponge with a micro fibre lining round it and dry off with a huge micro fibre drying cloth.  ;D
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

H1GRM

I think micro-fibre sponges and cloths are definitely more popular and probably more scratch resistant. I have both and use both depending on how the mood takes me.
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=66294.0<br /><br />TTE Turbo 6R4 Forest Green - Y55 GRM <br />Jeep Wrangler - H1 GRM

Call the midlife!

I think a lot of it has to do with the changes in paint technology, modern auto paints are a lot softer than back in the day and suffer from swirling from modern, "car" sponges which also generally seem to be more harsh and plasticky than the ones I remember washing the family cars with as a nipper.
I also think a lot of it is to generate sales by the manufacturers of modern products, it's a massive, massive market with waaaay too many choices available.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Rushy67

Have moved over to a mitt and drying towel myself a couple of years ago. Car needs to be wet before washing commences. I have just started using the "snow foam " on a wet car to remove initial dirt etc before washing.
Use the Bilt Hamber double speed wax these days, which gives a pleasing result. I also used a paint sealant yesterday, a Poorboys World one I had left in stock. Left it on the car for approx. 45 mins and was very pleased with result when buffing off by hand.

Bernie

Sponges should never be used as you can pick up grit in it and as you rub it over the paintwork you swirl scratches into the paintwork

2 bucket method use a microfibre mitt and after each panel, rinse off in a 2nd bucket to get anything picked up off before dipping into 1st bucket with shampoo

http://www.detailingspot.com/?page_id=15

Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

s12vea

Exactly what Bernie said
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

steveash

Wash mits and microfibre are the current fashion that everyone swears by. I like wash mits, they do a decent job. I prefer a chamois to a towel mostly because I really can't be bothered to wash a pile of towels every time I clean the car. Whether one scratches paint more than another, who knows. I've had grit caught up in all of them at times.

paulj

I knew you'd have some views  Thanks very much everyone and looks like I will be getting a mitt when allowed out!
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Call the midlife!

Just remember the 5 second rule with food doesn't apply with your chosen washing weapon.
If you drop it, swap it...
60% of the time it works everytime...

Ardent

Tags: