Vented bonnet & proper ducting

Started by Viszaly, June 10, 2020, 01:07

Viszaly

So I've seen plenty of MR2s with vented bonnets for that extra bit of front end grip - but does anybody have any suggestions on vent & ducting combinations? Better yet, if there's a thread (I did search!) that shows how somebody else built their ducting and what vents/placement they used? If I can find one, I'd ideally like to get an Elise bonnet moulded in, but more than happy to look at other options.

Thanks

Petrus

Spyder Lee has a visual example of ducted Elise type bonnet on youtube

Viszaly

Got to say I'm not a huge fan of the appearance of Spyder Lee's vents - they definitely look to be more visual than functional - wasn't aware he'd properly ducted them though so I'll take another look through the videos :)

Petrus

He first had Jaguar slits and then went to an Elis type which he ducted.

That observed; ány hole in the bonnet will be a functional air vent.

m1tch

Vented bonnets are only there to get additional airflow through the radiator, you need to remove the frunk plastics etc for them to actually do something, they are usually used when V mounting intercoolers - something we can't exactly do with a rear engined car!

Petrus

Quote from: m1tch on June 10, 2020, 18:09Vented bonnets are only there to get additional airflow through the radiator, you need to remove the frunk plastics etc for them to actually do something,

I assumed that obvious, but I stand corrected.

There is also an aero function:
They álso reduce front lift by providing an additional exit fo the air coming through the radiator; no longer forcing all underneath the car. As such there will also be less hot air flowing under the car.
The ducted Elise type directs just about all over instead of under the car. Quite an aero difference.

Viszaly

Quote from: Petrus on June 10, 2020, 18:32
Quote from: m1tch on June 10, 2020, 18:09Vented bonnets are only there to get additional airflow through the radiator, you need to remove the frunk plastics etc for them to actually do something,

I assumed that obvious, but I stand corrected.

There is also an aero function:
They álso reduce front lift by providing an additional exit fo the air coming through the radiator; no longer forcing all underneath the car. As such there will also be less hot air flowing under the car.
The ducted Elise type directs just about all over instead of under the car. Quite an aero difference.

It's specifically the aero functionality I'm looking for - all frunk plastics etc. have been removed, so I'll need something keeping the front end down - hence the vented bonnet setup.

Tags: