Potenza Re040s on the rear - linglongs on the front

Started by J4ck100, July 13, 2020, 18:23

potge

Feeling like hijacking, but has anyone tried the Yokohama Advan Fleva V701?
I was looking for tyres and since AD08 are excluded (at least in my head, as a compromise between proper semis and a normal tyre), upon searching I came across them and they look interesting.
I had before yoko s.drive which is their ancestor (on a different car though) and really liked them.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: potge on July 16, 2020, 20:33Feeling like hijacking, but has anyone tried the Yokohama Advan Fleva V701?

They don't fare well in the tests listed here. https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Yokohama/Advan-Fleva-V701.htm

Try looking up tests of the Hankook Ventus Prime K125

potge

Thanks. At least I am on the right path  :) .
Ventus prime 3 K125 and Rainsport5 are my other alternatives. I had rainsport3 and though feedback is so and so, can`t ignore wet performance on a daily. I just hope RS5 are improved on that. And Prime 3 and Fleva look interesting as an all around decent daily that can cope with some spirited driving.
However, on reviews they seem quite similar to me. Though I should only be considering reviews from similar-ish cars and sizes as weight changes things dramatically.
Anyway thanks for the input.

shnazzle

...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: potge on July 16, 2020, 21:05Thanks. At least I am on the right path  :) .
Ventus prime 3 K125 and Rainsport5 are my other alternatives.

From what I've seen the Flevia aren't made in O/E sizes.

I have the Hankook. I know two others who also like them on 2's.  I was going to fit Falken (913 I think) because I had had them & was impressed. My first 2 had a fault, something stopping the rear suspension working properly & it was scary in the wet & nearly killed me.  So you can understand that a drive through standing water for about 80 miles in my next 2 shod with new Falken that were only a few days old, was tense.  The Falken never flinched. But with the current car, when I needed tyres the Falken weren't available in the 16".

The Hankook get better reviews in tyre tests, & from what I've seen, are cheaper. When I bought them around 15 months ago, it was a no-brainer.  Doesn't look different now.

As a by-the-by, I'm reading from individuals reports (no tyre tests yet) of the new-ish Toyo (TR1 I think) the ride comfort is not good. Vibration, steering wobble sort of complaints.

potge

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on July 17, 2020, 14:37
Quote from: potge on July 16, 2020, 21:05Thanks. At least I am on the right path  :) .
Ventus prime 3 K125 and Rainsport5 are my other alternatives.

From what I've seen the Flevia aren't made in O/E sizes.

Thanks again gents.

For what is worth it, I am not going for the OE sizes. 195/50 in front. Still battling between 205/45-50/16 in the back.

J4ck100

Just been out for an evening drive down some twisties

Great fun and the yokos are gripping very well

Couldn't help but feel the ride felt very firm (might not be tyre related as still new to the 2)

Over uneven road surface there was real chassis shake and the car got a bit upset on a poorly surfaced roundabout hopping and skipping a fair bit

Running 32psi rear and 28 psi front

Idiot tyre centre put 42 psi in one of the rear tyres & 32 in the other - downright dangerous !

Ardent

:'(
Tyre fitters eh!

Stilll a Couple of psi heavy in the front.

JB21

Quote from: J4ck100 on July 19, 2020, 21:36Just been out for an evening drive down some twisties

Couldn't help but feel the ride felt very firm (might not be tyre related as still new to the 2)

Over uneven road surface there was real chassis shake and the car got a bit upset on a poorly surfaced roundabout hopping and skipping a fair bit

Idiot tyre centre put 42 psi in one of the rear tyres & 32 in the other - downright dangerous !

Its because of the stiffer sidewalls. This is the reason I can't stand to drive my 2 on the road with track tyres. Makes every journey a tiresome one as UK roads are shocking. Its a totally different car driving on my road wheels with Rainsport 5s.

J4ck100

Quote from: JB21 on July 20, 2020, 09:00
Quote from: J4ck100 on July 19, 2020, 21:36Just been out for an evening drive down some twisties

Its because of the stiffer sidewalls. This is the reason I can't stand to drive my 2 on the road with track tyres. Makes every journey a tiresome one as UK roads are shocking. Its a totally different car driving on my road wheels with Rainsport 5s.

Hmm, maybe I should have thought about that before shelling out! Oops

JB21

Quote from: J4ck100 on July 20, 2020, 10:27
Quote from: JB21 on July 20, 2020, 09:00

Hmm, maybe I should have thought about that before shelling out! Oops

Try reducing PSI's. Maybe 24 front and 28 rear and see how it feels. Just keep an eye out for uneven tyre wear if it feels better.

J4ck100

Yeah i might try that - 32psi at the rear sounds high for such a light car in any case?

my 2.2 tonne LS400 take 32!

Chilli Girl

Correct pressures for a standard 2 is 26 fronts and 32 rears and mine drives great. ;)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Tags: