Stainless free flow silencer project

Started by thetyrant, July 21, 2020, 07:27

thetyrant

Ok i built a 2.5" stainless freeflow rear box for when my car was turbo'd and it worked well with just the right amount of noise for me and good flow for the turbo, but now the car is back to stock/normally aspirated (after rebuilding engine etc) i fancied a bit more sporty noise than stock so decided to adapt the freeflow silencer to see how it sounds without the turbo snail in the system.

The rear silencer on turbo setup used a slip type joint to connect to sports cat pipe but i wanted it to be plug and play onto stock cat pipe flange this time so needed a flange from stock rear box, got a spare box from Dick sloan and cut off flange then got my welder guy to tig it onto a piece of stainless tube so i could slip on silencer and last night got it all fitted onto the car, needed to remake one of my hangers but otherwise it fitted in nicely.

Sounds is not loud but very deep especially at low revs/high loads etc, at high revs it sounds really nice with some nice burbles on overrun etc, however i think the deep tone when pottering about is too much for me so will be taking it back off for now :)

Was a fun project using what i had left over from turbo setup and plan is to go turbo again probably over winter so will be sat here ready for that, i liked the sound when i had it on turbo kit as the snail absorbs a lot of the noise but without it i find it just a bit much for normal driving, does sound excellent when thrashing it though :D

Pic below...

You cannot view this attachment.

Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

JB21

thetyrant

Quote from: JB21 on July 21, 2020, 07:38You could always sell it to me  ;D

Does your setup use stock silencer fitment to cat pipe ? 

JB21

Quote from: thetyrant on July 21, 2020, 07:54
Quote from: JB21 on July 21, 2020, 07:38You could always sell it to me  ;D

Does your setup use stock silencer fitment to cat pipe ? 

Indeed, currently running the OE silencer.

thetyrant

Couple of sound clips today, 1st is short cold start,  2nd a full throttle drive past, ive also got a lower rev drive by to upload later, i think it sounds a bit like a subaru impreza!  :o

Cold Start-

Drive by full throttle-

JB21

Quote from: thetyrant on July 21, 2020, 15:28Couple of sound clips today, 1st is short cold start,  2nd a full throttle drive past, ive also got a lower rev drive by to upload later, i think it sounds a bit like a subaru impreza!  :o

Cold Start-

Drive by full throttle-

Sounds good. Not ricer at all. Will sound even better at 8k rpm.

thetyrant

Indeed yes it sounds very nice even on my stock car with a deep tone and once revs get up nice and crisp but not raspy like some, will sound epic at 8k on a 2zz i imagine :D  shame its just a bit much for my daily driving so its off the car and its back to stock/stealthy mode for now :D

For those interested and maybe missed it when i built this originally for my turbo kit the silencer i used is one of those on following link, this coupled with some stainless elbows and pipework from same place (who were mega helpful) gave me most of what i needed, just needed a flange off a stock backbox so i could fit it to the cat pipework....  - Ebay extra quiet  silencer

Another clip of low speed drive by :)

shnazzle

I quite like that.
I think my biggest "want" at the minute is another exhaust. The TTE has served me well for many years
...neutiquam erro.

steveash

Now if Zero could be persuaded to knock out a few shiny versions of this I think he'd have a queue outside his door.

JB21

Where no one can hear you scream.

My new action camera can't handle the noise and vibration. This is filmed sealed in the waterproof case to reduce the sound too.

Defo more power all over the rev range, especially in lift

Thanks to @thetyrant for selling it to me.

Petrus

thetyrant

Quote from: JB21 on August  6, 2020, 20:01Where no one can hear you scream.

My new action camera can't handle the noise and vibration. This is filmed sealed in the waterproof case to reduce the sound too.

Defo more power all over the rev range, especially in lift

Thanks to @thetyrant for selling it to me.

Epic :D  although need a better camera/microphone and some outside/driveby footage as well, glad it sounds good and has free'd up some horsepower :D

Smithy

Quote from: thetyrant on July 22, 2020, 08:13Indeed yes it sounds very nice even on my stock car with a deep tone and once revs get up nice and crisp but not raspy like some, will sound epic at 8k on a 2zz i imagine :D  shame its just a bit much for my daily driving so its off the car and its back to stock/stealthy mode for now :D

For those interested and maybe missed it when i built this originally for my turbo kit the silencer i used is one of those on following link, this coupled with some stainless elbows and pipework from same place (who were mega helpful) gave me most of what i needed, just needed a flange off a stock backbox so i could fit it to the cat pipework....  - Ebay extra quiet  silencer

Another clip of low speed drive by :)

Good afternoon. I'm just checking the link you provided ( extra quiet silencer) was the one in the sound clips on a 1ZZ? I just wanted to check that you got 2" bore 18" long clamp on silencer?
Many thanks
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

thetyrant

Quote from: Smithy on December  8, 2020, 13:18Good afternoon. I'm just checking the link you provided ( extra quiet silencer) was the one in the sound clips on a 1ZZ? I just wanted to check that you got 2" bore 18" long clamp on silencer?
Many thanks

In that video yes its on  stock 1zz with a stock/cats2u cat and an ebay catless manifold etc, also as per 1st post the silencer is 2.5" bore as it was originally for my turbo build, length i cant remember but think its 16 or 18" ...i know it was as big as i could fit in!

HTH

Smithy

Thank you for that. Interesting build and a fantastic sounding system
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Smithy

Quote from: thetyrant on July 21, 2020, 07:27Ok i built a 2.5" stainless freeflow rear box for when my car was turbo'd and it worked well with just the right amount of noise for me and good flow for the turbo, but now the car is back to stock/normally aspirated (after rebuilding engine etc) i fancied a bit more sporty noise than stock so decided to adapt the freeflow silencer to see how it sounds without the turbo snail in the system.

The rear silencer on turbo setup used a slip type joint to connect to sports cat pipe but i wanted it to be plug and play onto stock cat pipe flange this time so needed a flange from stock rear box, got a spare box from Dick sloan and cut off flange then got my welder guy to tig it onto a piece of stainless tube so i could slip on silencer and last night got it all fitted onto the car, needed to remake one of my hangers but otherwise it fitted in nicely.

Sounds is not loud but very deep especially at low revs/high loads etc, at high revs it sounds really nice with some nice burbles on overrun etc, however i think the deep tone when pottering about is too much for me so will be taking it back off for now :)

Was a fun project using what i had left over from turbo setup and plan is to go turbo again probably over winter so will be sat here ready for that, i liked the sound when i had it on turbo kit as the snail absorbs a lot of the noise but without it i find it just a bit much for normal driving, does sound excellent when thrashing it though :D

Pic below...

You cannot view this attachment.

Good afternoon. Where did you get that adjustable hanger on the right hand side of your picture please?

03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

thetyrant

Quote from: Smithy on June  3, 2021, 12:39Good afternoon. Where did you get that adjustable hanger on the right hand side of your picture please?

Both the hangers are made from standard threaded bar and the plate from a suitable sized exhaust clamp, nice easy way to make a good sturdy setup and my plan was to weld them on once i got positions correct etc but never got around to it before selling it and refitting stock, maybe next time as im going to build another soon and try to get it even quieter for stealthiness :D

Smithy

Ok thank for that. I may try and fabricate something similar or get somebody to weld a hanger on.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

thetyrant

Yes dead easy get a length of threaded rod and some nuts for it, then an exhaust clamp for size of pipe your using and bend the threaded rod around it tightly before sliding on the plate from clamp, once in place use the nuts to fix it in place, other end just bend to suit hanging position.

I used 6mm rod on both side at first and was ok easy to bend but felt maybe not sturdy enough for r/h in top picture so made another with 8mm, bit harder to bend but got it done ok and was solid.

Smithy

That's brilliant thank you. with your description and the picture I can now see how you have done it.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Tags: