WRX spoiler.

Started by Smithy, July 23, 2020, 14:32

Smithy

I got a spoiler not so long ago from a guy on the FB group. I have painted it and offered it but I just cant decide whether to put it on or not.
I know others have done this adaption but half of me is saying My 2 isn't every going to be showroom condition nor is it stock, but the purist in me is saying i'm going to spoil it.
Anyone got any thoughts or examples of the WRX spoiler on and looking good?     
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Call the midlife!

Not that it really matters but I've always thought they're too big and angular for the car, don't let that influence you though, go with your gut feeling.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Ardent

My thoughts are.
The fact you have doubts, is reason enough not to.

I'm not a fan of any wings.
I think it would spoil it.
Or go mad, get a donor engine cover, cannibalise that and keep your existing one to put back.

Smithy

03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

tricky1138

I actually like the WRX spoiler (and not just as I like car it came off!) and think it looks good on there. If I didnt have the TRD spoiler on I think I would be looking at it.

I also think a good idea would be to pickup another engine lid, and install it on that, then you can always swap them over (and back if you dont like it).
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Petrus

Be original, step from the middle of the road, opt for a stronger tatste than vanilla; put it on!!

As to bouncing your idea over here, be aware that this forum is on average on the conservative side in taste.

You state your car is not a showroom thing to be kept in a conditoned room for enternaty, so go for it. If you are bored of it, an unmolested deck is easy enough scored.

Have fun!!!

shnazzle

Quote from: Petrus on July 25, 2020, 13:02As to bouncing your idea over here, be aware that this forum is on average on the conservative side in taste.
I found myself offended by that at first... And then realised it's actually true :) 

Maybe we don't have enough wacky 2's on here. 
But it comes down to what was said before; go witb your gut. Place it on and have a good look at it from different angles, including form inside!
Or get someone to hold it if it doesn't. 
If your first reaction is "I like it"..
Youre golden. Even if its followed with a "but". 
Worst case? You get a replacement engine lid and lessons learned. 
That's what I did
...neutiquam erro.

Bernie

Ultimately it's your car your way

Many post here and on FB seeking comment or approval but if it floats your boat just do it

Many aesthetic mods are down to personal taste you're never going to please everyone nor should you seek too

OK I get mine is a 2nd car and is kept in showroom condition but "am I bovvered" absolutely not I enjoy my car my way hardtop on in the winter, coz I can and if the purists don't like it tough

I was fortunate to purchase a car that was immaculate and couldn't go  down in history as the guy that wrecked Robs car so had to maintain it the right way
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on July 25, 2020, 23:58
Quote from: Petrus on July 25, 2020, 13:02As to bouncing your idea over here, be aware that this forum is on average on the conservative side in taste.
I found myself offended by that at first... And then realised it's actually true :)

Maybe we don't have enough wacky 2's on here.
But it comes down to what was said before; go witb your gut. Place it on and have a good look at it from different angles, including form inside!
Or get someone to hold it if it doesn't.
If your first reaction is "I like it"..
Youre golden. Even if its followed with a "but".
Worst case? You get a replacement engine lid and lessons learned.
That's what I did
I don't think we're short on non-conservative cars, I think it's more to do with their owners not being showboaters...

Petrus

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 26, 2020, 08:12I don't think we're short on non-conservative cars, I think it's more to do with their owners not being showboaters...

That´s a copout if there even was one. Proove it!

No photo; it did not happen. 

You show yours and I´ll show my Doraemon belt pads.

;-)

Smithy

As always thanks for all your useful comments. I didn't post this on the FB groups as I'm not all that keen on the way some of them express their opinions on there. I have always found this forum however to be respectfully opinionated and just more honest and friendly. I love the way my 2 looks at the moment and I don't want to change it too much, just wanted to put my own little stamp on things. I will continue to give it some carful consideration and view it from different angles before drilling holes. 
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Petrus

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Dev

I'm a member on many MR-S related car forums some no longer in existence. All of them were like this one when it comes to taste which is not a conservative thing, it's just the reality that more owners prefer no wing or exaggerated mods that many don't find tasteful or tacky. The difference is how it is received and this forum is nicer about peoples controversial choices. 

Everyone's reasoning for their mods are different and it's often said that it's up to the owner and that's all that matters. Although true there is another truth and that is some like myself modify our tastes to be universally accepted by the masses as we would want to catch more looks of admiration than disgust.   

Call the midlife!

A large percentage of the changes I've made to the car are purely aesthetic such as the front lip and rear spoiler, the red wheels stand out and compliment the colour of the car.
The musical air horns (now deceased) were fitted because sometimes I like to act like a child, the same applies to the novelty stickers here and there...

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on July 28, 2020, 13:58Although true there is another truth and that is some like myself modify my tastes to be universally accepted by the masses as I would want to catch more looks of admiration than disgust.   

Been there, done that, made no difference.

My mods are in two distinct categories:
One makes the car go better suited to mý driving and the other is simply mý idea of fun.
Per example I would have preferred Volk CE28 because they are just about the lightest (functional) and I would have liked them in bright ´Club´ red (fun). As they are basically unobtanium here, I have Enkei RPF1 (functional) in grey (unfun) so sómething needs to compensate.

Gregmorse

IMO the WRX one looks a bit too Bulky and slightly the wrong height - I like the look of the BGW's but only with a hardtop. A lot of people suggest sticking with a ducktail type.

Smithy

All fitted and I'm really pleased with the look.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Ardent

Have to say, that isn't what I had in mind.
That looks ok.

Smithy

03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Ardent

Ardent

Yours is much more a banana spoiler, where you would expect to see it.

Edit.
Nice beading. Bloody loveleh.

Smithy

Oh right I see. Yes it's a bit more low key than the one you linked
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Jay

Just like everyone else I was thinking of the wrong spoiler..  :))

You cannot view this attachment.

That looks spot on, aggressive without being OTT, good choice!

Joesson

Quote from: Jay on September  5, 2020, 11:13Just like everyone else I was thinking of the wrong spoiler..  :))

You cannot view this attachment.

That looks spot on, aggressive without being OTT, good choice!

I have mentioned in the past that few things are so aptly named as a "Spoiler"
But when you see something like the above I suppose it goes from spoiler via ridiculous to sense of humour.

Tags: