What cars had a silver/blue colour? - looking for potential options...

Started by jvanzyl, August 27, 2020, 13:39

jvanzyl

Hi Folks,
I'm trying to find/settle on a colour that I can paint the car that would honestly be nice to look at.
It also needs to go with the current blue roof and the navy blue/ grey seats and door cards I have.

I'm aiming for a metallic silvery blue..

So far I've found DB 396
You cannot view this attachment.

and DB 380

would love to see these colours in the flesh before committing.. does anyone have any other suggestions for colour codes?

Chilli Girl

You probably wont be familiar with it as you're not a biker but the Honda CB600 Hornet shade is awesome. It's a metallic blue, gorgeous but not too sure it'll go with the blue shade of roof. Anyway, what's wrong with silver? There I go again, dont mention silver on here!  ;)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

jvanzyl

Quote from: Chilli Girl on August 27, 2020, 13:56You probably wont be familiar with it as you're not a biker but the Honda CB600 Hornet shade is awesome. It's a metallic blue, gorgeous but not too sure it'll go with the blue shade of roof. Anyway, what's wrong with silver? There I go again, dont mention silver on here!  ;)

Ha yes that's a but toooooo blue.. it's like that plastidip blue I experiemented with earlier.. more silver in the colour please!

Topdownman

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

carolineasb

What about the blue they had on the 2 in the States? Is it called Paradise Blue?
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

DanRS4x

Toyota Yaris
Early Corvettes

I was looking at similar I put "silver blue cars" into image search
Oscar (the Grouch) named for the grumbly exhaust note
2005 silver HT/AC, Stainless Creations twin exhaust, Tein lowering springs, Ultra Racing front strut brace, Dev's door bushings (more mods to come)

jvanzyl

Quote from: carolineasb on August 27, 2020, 14:46What about the blue they had on the 2 in the States? Is it called Paradise Blue?

Yeah - it's a bit too "baby blue" if that's a good description? It is on the list, it'll likely be cheaper than what I've found so far!

jvanzyl

Quote from: DanRS4x on August 27, 2020, 14:50Toyota Yaris
Early Corvettes

I was looking at similar I put "silver blue cars" into image search

Yeah I've been doing a bit of that, often finding things described as "copia blue" for example isn't the real name of the colour for the porsche one I liked..

It's a bit frustraing where it looks different from each picture but its the same colour - hence me asking people for real experiences that they've seen.

jvanzyl

It's like this is an awesome colour:
Silver Blue - 500116

but I can only find one example of it! so is it a real colour or just a one off?

Topdownman

If you look opposite to blue on the colour wheel you get orange....

Could you do metallic? If so, maybe the Ford light blue sapphire?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

tets

Topdownman

Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

jvanzyl

Quote from: Topdownman on August 27, 2020, 15:03If you look opposite to blue on the colour wheel you get orange....

Could you do metallic? If so, maybe the Ford light blue sapphire?

Hmmmm... if it were on another car it would make it look nicer!

Hot damn! I like this one.. is that what you meant? I'm trying to find the actual colour.. been on the lotus colour guide and can't seem to find it yet  >:(

jvanzyl

Ah just saw you said the Elan:
They call it blue grey but I've not found the code yet..

jvanzyl

Quote from: Topdownman on August 27, 2020, 15:10The focus RS blue would like quite striking.
striking yet... but I'd feel like a twerp.. the objecive here is dignified and beautiful..

jvanzyl

OK found a version called  L18 Glacier Blue".. looks nice over here:

carolineasb

The Lotus in #13 I think was the colour of the Lotus that Wheeler Dealers "refurbished", was it not? Would the colour be on any of the pieces on the net about that/wikipedia?
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

jvanzyl

Quote from: carolineasb on August 27, 2020, 15:29The Lotus in #13 I think was the colour of the Lotus that Wheeler Dealers "refurbished", was it not? Would the colour be on any of the pieces on the net about that/wikipedia?

I'm a googling! it seems to be one thing to find more than reference to the colour and another to actually find it for sale.. I've found this so far:
https://wiki.seloc.org/a/Paint_codes

just for reference, here's paradise blue:

And here is the light blue that was on the Mk1:

I'm trying for more silver/grey..

jvanzyl

lol. found a lovely website.. just one problem in finding B107 Glacier blue..

drat...

jvanzyl

Found it!!! yeah... oh wait.. how much?!

how far does a litre of paint go on our cars doing 2 coats?

Carolyn

Well,if you're going to be picky about price, this might not be for you?

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

jvanzyl

Quote from: Carolyn on August 27, 2020, 15:46Well,if you're going to be picky about price, this might not be for you?

haha - give me a break.. I'm still exploring the world of paint colour! I'm unfamiliar with the costs of all these things!

Going back to my original post, I'd be torn between the glaciar blue and the mercedes DB 396.. they're both quite different.. anyone able to paint shop our cars with those two colours?

Joesson

jvanzyl

Quote from: Joesson on August 27, 2020, 18:43@jvanzyl said
"I'm trying for more silver/grey.."

What was it that @Chilli Girl asked?

ah that was in context of the blue cars.. I wanted more silver/grey in the mix!

Tags: