Acrylic side windows

Started by Petrus, September 2, 2020, 14:09

DantSaperon

Quote from: jvanzyl on September  2, 2020, 17:21Not to be an idiot here.. but how hard is it to change/remove a window? I've got a couple of spare doors (with the windows up!) and would quite like to get lighter windows myself.
I know i'm a bit late. Changing or removing a car window can vary in difficulty depending on the specific make and model of the vehicle. It typically requires some mechanical knowledge and the right tools. Here are a few general steps to give you an idea:

Gather the necessary tools: You may need tools like a screwdriver, trim panel removal tool, glass suction cups, and a window sealant.

Remove the door panel: Start by removing the door panel to access the window mechanism. This usually involves removing screws and clips and carefully prying off the panel.

As for me, it is easier and cheaper to replace on a car. I tried to replace at home, but was surprised at the price. As a result, I simply ordered aluminum windows from Poland in this site https://alumglass.eu/products/windows/ . Better to wait than pay

Petrus

On our MR2 door card removal is a less than 5 min. doddle. See Youtube.

In the end did not go forward with the plastic side windows because the material is too flexible for the frameless use. Pity as I have them down 95% of the time. Can´t have them flopping about when I do need them up though.

The diy windshield is back  on my  list but off topic here ...

shnazzle

One of my few positive contributions to the community

https://youtu.be/qHEjCLGzRm8
...neutiquam erro.

Nvy

Whats the weight of the side window anyway?

Petrus

Quote from: Nvy on June  4, 2023, 10:59Whats the weight of the side window anyway?

Now I am not going plastic I say the glass is light enough anyway  :))  :))

No, seriously, they are quite compact. Have had the door cards off several times and the glass is really minimalistic cut. Hence I thought the flex issue not worth it.

shnazzle

Having manhandled a few doors, I reckon any weight savings are in redesigning the door, not the glass.
The doors weigh an absolute ton!

They're awkward to carry, making them feel a bit heavier than they are but I still reckon we're talking 25kg per door

There's a bit of bracing but can all be re-engineered for function over form.

Getting the doors down to 15kg would be a massive saving across both doors.

Or..replace with some bracing and have open sides during the summer :)
...neutiquam erro.

AJRFulton

I'd not recommend plastic windows on a road car!

Even cleaning the windows on the track car as carefully and as little as possible - they scratch up and scratch up fast.

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on June  4, 2023, 18:56Having manhandled a few doors, I reckon any weight savings are in redesigning the door, not the glass.
The doors weigh an absolute ton!

They're awkward to carry, making them feel a bit heavier than they are but I still reckon we're talking 25kg per door

There's a bit of bracing but can all be re-engineered for function over form.

Getting the doors down to 15kg would be a massive saving across both doors.

Or..replace with some bracing and have open sides during the summer :)

Had a look at the door internals when I had the cards off but apart from being a bit iffy even for me  O:-) , I saw no practical way (to my relief) to get the extra side protection bar out.

Dev

For a road car I would want all the protection afforded to the doors for side impact safety. I do not care how much the door weighs and it's not just about being T-boned in an accident by an on coming car as you can easily get hit on the doors from other things as the car tumbles around. For a race car fine but for a passenger car I would want every available safety device that increases my survival and those that ride with me as Toyota intended. 

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on June  5, 2023, 18:54as Toyota intended. 

There is a bit of a thing there as like most of these things, noise (p.e. the nappies for keeping as much engine noise as possible in the engine bay)and emissions, it was and is entirely regulation driven. I thínk that the first JDM cars did not have the extra door bars. Please note that I am not putting any of it up for discussion, just that Toyota simply followed the rules. See market specific airbag differences too. Thwas not that Toyota intended/cared more or less.

shnazzle

That's what stood out to me most, as per what @Dev said; these doors are the way they are to protect you from the side. If you consider how "thin" the rest of the car is built, there's clearly a lot of thought behind it.

Also for the rigidity of the chassis I reckon
...neutiquam erro.

Dev

Quote from: Petrus on June  5, 2023, 19:08There is a bit of a thing there as like most of these things, noise (p.e. the nappies for keeping as much engine noise as possible in the engine bay)and emissions, it was and is entirely regulation driven. I thínk that the first JDM cars did not have the extra door bars. Please note that I am not putting any of it up for discussion, just that Toyota simply followed the rules. See market specific airbag differences too. Thwas not that Toyota intended/cared more or less.

I am not buying that Toyota is just following the rules. If there were no rules, Toyota would still add safety to their vehicles because they are an ethical company. Throughout automotive history other makes have cut corners, but there has also been a long history of pride of the manufacture to preserve life and some went above minimum safety standards like Volvo and Mercedes-Benz that has been adopted by the industry as a whole.
These manufactures dont just make cars for the public, they make them for their own families, so safety is a very big part of their mission. The regulations and crash safety testing is there to weed out the bad manufactures so consumers know what they are buying.

Petrus

I am more sceptical Dev. Agin; have a look at the airbag in our MR2.
Good for you that you have this positive, trusting outlook.
Imo ´safety´ is a much abused magical marketing word since Nader highlighted it.

Anyway, no plastic side windows, the windscreen is still on the list.

Dev

Quote from: Petrus on June  6, 2023, 09:17I am more sceptical Dev. Agin; have a look at the airbag in our MR2.
Good for you that you have this positive, trusting outlook.
Imo ´safety´ is a much abused magical marketing word since Nader highlighted it.

Anyway, no plastic side windows, the windscreen is still on the list.

Thats not true. They have actual real world statistics and crash test data that have proven the efficacy of safety devices that not only has saved lives, it has massively cut down on hospitalization where those in the vehicle have walked away with minor injuries. They do this with continuous improvement with crash test dummies and collecting data from real accidents. 

Just because you might have one data point or failed safety device on a particular car that can create the injury does not mean you can use backwards gymnastics to justify removing stuff from a car. This is flawed way of thinking to justify having a modification or removing safety devices and you just need to find a conflated reason to explain your reasoning because you want to save a few pounds.

Once they discover a fault with a safety system though discovery and testing then they issue recalls as they have done with air bags and other things to learn from their mistakes.   
 I do not agree with all the safety mechanisms but on the whole they have a proven track record of working.

I am a twice survivor because of those safety devices. With the white car the tow truck driver thought he was talking to a ghost when I approached him because he was certain the person driving had to have been transported or dead. The hit was so hard that the entire seat was bent and twisted.

Petrus

Blowing smoke Dev. As I wrote, not arguing safety or not. It is all rather funny imo as our car is a mid engined cabrio dubbed inherently dangeous on both counts according to some :))

About the safety of mods it is also mosty moot imo as some fit a 30% more powerful engine or ditto+ turbo without further changes like to brakes or crash protection.

Anyway, back to the manufacturers´ethics´ in our car, the airbags are only governed by regulations:
No passenger airbag JDM.
Passenger airbag with off switch for kids in Canada.
Just a sticker about no small kids in mine.

I would say marketing, regulations and lawsuits rule the magical word ´safety´.

And on the internet personal perceptions rule  ;)

Alex Knight

My UK car has a passenger off switch for the airbag. Are you labouring under the assumption that it was only Canada to support your argument @Petrus? If so, you are wrong.

Petrus

Quote from: Alex Knight on June  7, 2023, 07:47My UK car has a passenger off switch for the airbag. Are you labouring under the assumption that it was only Canada to support your argument @Petrus? If so, you are wrong.

Thanks for enlightening me about the UK. At least about yoúr car.

Never wrote ´only´...
Know it was in Canada for sure and here not.
Argument remains the same; regulations rule.

Dev

I also have the passenger air bag off switch.
 No MR-S cars were sold in Canada.

Petrus

-...and still the argument does not change.

Some markets don´t have a passenger airbag, some do incl. an off swith on it and some without. No ethics involved. Just regulations, litigation, cost.

shnazzle

Acrylic side windows,airbags, same difference...yup still on topic
::)
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on June  7, 2023, 22:54Acrylic side windows,airbags, same difference...yup still on topic
::)

You forgot ethics  ;D

For my part you can lock the thread as I am not going plastic for the side windows. And ... if I change my mind I will do so in sweet silence upsetting nobody 8)

Tags: