Latest AD08RS vs Latest TR1's or Nankangs.. pls vote!

Started by jvanzyl, September 7, 2020, 12:27

jvanzyl

Hi Folks,
It's quite possibly time to replace the tyres on my PFL.
I've been on Toyo T1-R's for the last 5 years - and looking to change to something better if possible.
I do seem to get a fair few punctures..

Please cast your votes! The selection is from what was available (all 4 corners the same) from black circles.

Please remember this is for PFL sizes, unfortunately I had to take Nankangs off for this reason.

tricky1138

I'll just ask - can you not get NS-20 for the rear? Or NS-2 for the front?

Wouldnt mix them 2.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

jvanzyl

Quote from: tricky1138 on September  7, 2020, 12:38I'll just ask - can you not get NS-20 for the rear? Or NS-2 for the front?

Wouldnt mix them 2.

Can'g get NS-2 for the front.. they looked the "sportier tyre".. but yeah no idea really.

Topdownman

Of your list, I have only tried the Yokos so cant really vote.

I am disappointed having gone from the 08 to the 08rs though. I have noticed much more tyre squeal when launching and some interesting moments braking sharply as I lose traction. The move to a longer lasting, less grippy compound doesnt make sense from the drivers viewpoint. Having a semi slick tread but without the ultimate grip doesnt seem a good idea to me.

Someone recently posted about these;

https://www.zestino.eu/en/gredge-07rs/?mode=grid&limit=24&sort=popular&max=250&min=0&sort=popular&brand=0&filter%5B%5D=276812&filter%5B%5D=276815

I think they could be my next tyre as they seem to have a similar tread pattern to the yokos but with the softer compound.

It was simple for a while on tyre choice for me but no longer!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

jvanzyl

Quote from: Topdownman on September  7, 2020, 12:46Of your list, I have only tried the Yokos so cant really vote.

I am disappointed having gone from the 08 to the 08rs though. I have noticed much more tyre squeal when launching and some interesting moments braking sharply as I lose traction. The move to a longer lasting, less grippy compound doesnt make sense from the drivers viewpoint. Having a semi slick tread but without the ultimate grip doesnt seem a good idea to me.

Someone recently posted about these;

https://www.zestino.eu/en/gredge-07rs/?mode=grid&limit=24&sort=popular&max=250&min=0&sort=popular&brand=0&filter%5B%5D=276812&filter%5B%5D=276815

I think they could be my next tyre as they seem to have a similar tread pattern to the yokos but with the softer compound.

It was simple for a while on tyre choice for me but no longer!

Thanks for the feedback Simon. Point noted - not really wanting to go for a proper semi slick..

EDIT: Actually maybe these might be ok I'll add them to the Poll

Carolyn

NS20 all round.. They are plenty sticky and very good in all weather.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

jvanzyl

Quote from: Carolyn on September  7, 2020, 12:53NS20 all round.. They are plenty sticky and very good in all weather.

Remind me again what sizes you run for the front? I can change the poll to be NS20 all round then

Carolyn

195/50 front 215/435 rear.

£45 a corner plus fitting.

jvanzyl

C'mon people - I see you looking at the thread but not voting! :p Stick your necks out and vote for something...

jvanzyl

Quote from: Carolyn on September  7, 2020, 13:01195/50 front 215/435 rear.

£45 a corner plus fitting.

Unfortunately I run PFL - you can't get those in PFL rear sizes (largest 15" they do is literally 195) - So I'll have to take this off the poll! Can you vote for your nest best thing then?

s12vea

Tr1 great tyres and when matched with geo and correct pressures you won't be disappointed
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

JB21

No Rainsport 5 option? They are such good value for money in both wet and dry conditions.

Carolyn

Unfortunately not... no experience of others - except rubbish ones!

jvanzyl

Quote from: JB21 on September  7, 2020, 13:09No Rainsport 5 option? They are such good value for money in both wet and dry conditions.
Can you get them for pfl?

tricky1138

Tyres are always going to be subjective. What works for one person might not work for you.

If you want a better tyre than the TR1 then get the AD08RS. They will still be a better tyre.

I like the NS-20 as they are half the price of the AD08RS for 3/4 the performance. I'd say they are probably better than the them in cold and wet. I know you have your winter tyres for then so as a summer only tyre the AD08RS still win for me.

If rainsports are available in PFL sizes then also give them a look. Always get good reviews in all weather.

I've got Vredstien on my Volvo and love them, in fact they were recommended to me instead of rainsports - but how they would be on a different vehicle I dont know.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

AdamR28

What do you want from your tyres? Outright grip in the dry on track? Good performance in the wet / cold on the road? Long life? Low noise?

As others have said, tyres are very subjective anyway, so a clue as to your usage would be very helpful.

jvanzyl

Quote from: AdamR28 on September  7, 2020, 13:27What do you want from your tyres? Outright grip in the dry on track? Good performance in the wet / cold on the road? Long life? Low noise?

As others have said, tyres are very subjective anyway, so a clue as to your usage would be very helpful.
I don't track it, but occasionally try and keep up with @1979scotte and that's when I've found the old Toyo's soft side wall.. don't care about noise, just very good grip in dry and decent enough in the wet. These things have lasted roughly 5 years.. so I'd be ok with slightly less.

jvanzyl

OK I've added rainsport 5 to the poll.. haven't checked to see if you can get them in PFL yet though.

EDIT: removing them from poll as you can't get the rears in PFL size

jvanzyl

Quote from: Carolyn on September  7, 2020, 13:10Unfortunately not... no experience of others - except rubbish ones!

Yup I can identify with that.. the car originally came with some "accelera" brand things.. it's how I become family with the term "ditch finders"..

Carolyn

Petrus

My appologies for not voting JvZ.
For one I have limited tyre experience on the Spyder, secondly I live in the andalucian mountains and lastly I would prefer even more sticky than the AD08R.

In general my pov concerning tyres for sporting use, ESPECIALY! on the road, is that the cost per km. is almost irrelevant because the potential cost of less grip is a lot higher.

Gaz mr-s

I don't judge by individual's opinion.  By general agreement over a period of a few years, the ADO8 was the grippiest tyre.  A bit expensive for my taste.

I looked up tests (not Joe Punter's reviews)  The Falken 914 was good. I fitted & liked them. I changed cars, but at the time the Falken was not available in the 16" rear.
Newer tests said the Hankook K125, & I like them, but they're not made in a suitable 15" rear, - neither are the Falken 914 in 15" widths.

But the Falken ZE310 are.  https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2020-Tyre-Reviews-Ultimate-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

treeroy

Quote from: jvanzyl on September  7, 2020, 13:48
Quote from: Carolyn on September  7, 2020, 13:10Unfortunately not... no experience of others - except rubbish ones!

Yup I can identify with that.. the car originally came with some "accelera" brand things.. it's how I become family with the term "ditch finders"..

Accelera are good semi slicks.

jvanzyl

Quote from: Petrus on September  7, 2020, 14:04My appologies for not voting JvZ.
For one I have limited tyre experience on the Spyder, secondly I live in the andalucian mountains and lastly I would prefer even more sticky than the AD08R.

In general my pov concerning tyres for sporting use, ESPECIALY! on the road, is that the cost per km. is almost irrelevant because the potential cost of less grip is a lot higher.

No worries Petrus :-) You do make a good point regarding the cost of grip.. .what are your thoughts on the one's simon posted on? The Zestino Gredge's ?

treeroy

Are the Nankangs that good? They are cheaper than all the other ones. And you can get 195 tyres comfortably on 185 front wheels yeah?

Do you go for NS-20 or NS-2? They have completely different tread designs. NS20 on front and NS-2 on the back?

Tags: