Mr T - a friend in need!!

Started by Anonymous, April 25, 2005, 13:56

Anonymous

Hi all,

My first post here and its going to be quite a stupid one but sure you will all enjoy a laugh at my expense!  I've been 'helping' my girlfriend with her MR2 that was seriously thirsty for oil.  Toped it up last week and then this weekend went to check it again and give it a final top up to take it to the max level.

Went on to give the car a nice wash then set off to enjoy the sunshine with the roof off.  All very lovely, car running beautifully (apart from a little brake problem that I'll come back to) until, after driving about 10 miles, my friend following behind in his elise shouted over about the white smoke billowing out of the engine bay   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Opened her up to discover I had left the oil filler cap off!!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   Whole engine had a generous coating of hot oil!!  I'd left the cap on the heat shield over the exhaust so had no idea of where it had fallen out (or where it may still be stuck in the engine bay!)

Panic trips to the local Halfords drew a blank.  Walks round the local car showrooms also drew blanks.  Finally took a spin round to Hodgson's Toyota in Gateshead and told them my sorry tale.  Of course it was Sunday afternoon so no parts department!  They were a bit reluctant but with a bit of pleading and a generous monetary deposit they agreed to loan me the cap of their showroom MR2.  Fortunately the car hadn't lost that much oil (just enough to make a hell of a mess) so with the kind loan from Mr T I was able to get the car home.

Couldn't find the original so have ordered a replacement today.  Had to spend the best part of the evening cleaning the engine bay (and buying apologetic meals and drinks!).  Anyway, cars now clean, were still speaking so alls well that ends well - just thought I'd give you all a laugh.

I'm off to post up a query in the troubleshooting section.

David

Liz

Hi David and welcome along  s:) :) s:)  ....I wouldn't worry about doing that, I believe someone on here has had Mr T do it to their car as well.....however, if my other half had done that to my car they would be hell to pay!! You have a very forgiving girlfriend!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

forgiving, yes - but I doubt she will ever forget!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    ...or let me forget for that matter!

Thanks for the welcome

David

Anonymous

Serious oil thirst.....search for pre-cat   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Quote from: "bigun007"Serious oil thirst.....search for pre-cat   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Yeah, must admit that is a fear.  I've been having a look round the forum and its the thing that jumped out at me.  Its full now so I'll monitor it and see how quickly it goes down.

Whats the best way to check for the health of the pre-cats?  Peeking in the o2 sensor holes?

Assuming the best case and all is well, whats the best course of action?  Gutting or replacing before they fail?

David

roger

Plenty written about pre-cats.

1. Yes, look through O2 sensor holes. If "mesh" is solid no probs, if its missing or damaged, SCREAM and   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  then get something done about it.
2. IIRC replacement requires new manifold, not cheap. Having a warranty or gutting are the only 2 real options to avoid serious pocket damage IF they go. Lots haven't.   s:D :D s:D
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tags: