Power steering fluid change

Started by Mr2paul, October 15, 2020, 09:03

Mr2paul

So after changing the steering u/v joint I noticed the fluid was a dark brown colour so decided to change it and it's made a big difference to steering so I recommend anyone who hasn't done it ever or for years to do the same.
Tools needed, a pair of pliers, empty milk carton, 1 ltr psf.
Take off the black rubber hose to the ps reservoir,put the end in the milk carton.
Start engine for 3 seconds and turn off,
Fill reservoir again,
Start engine for another 3 seconds only and repeat the above.
Replace rubber pipe on reservoir and start engine, this time turning steering left and right numerous times. Stop engine, remove hose and start engine again for a final 3 seconds. Replace hose and refill reservoir.
Start engine and turn wheel a few times on full lock to remove any air and top up as reqd.
Job done. Takes 5 mins at most, costs very little and was well worth it.
Learning is good. Failing to learn is not an option

ucb

For an inexperienced mechanic like myself, is the hose very obvious??

Gaz mr-s

Yes, take the frunk off & have a look.  If I were you I'd undo the reservoir mountings & check your abs pump cradle too...
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=70101.msg835836#msg835836 -post 12 & after.

If you want to replace the fluid you need this... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-CITROEN-Total-DA-Fluid-ELECTRIC-POWER-STEERING-PUMP-FLUID-1-Litre-PSA/373203935823?hash=item56e4b0224f:g:s-MAAOSwBrxfWzYJ

There are two listings starting at £1 though....might get a bargain?

Beachbum957

Nissan E-PSF (999MP-EPSF00P) fluid also works very well.

Mr2paul

As Gaz says check the mounting. This was mine. Maybe a chance to treat any rust ? Also pic shows the return pipe for the p/ steering if it helps.
Learning is good. Failing to learn is not an option

househead

Ravenol E-PSF is also often touted as a good shout for our cars. I've got some waiting for me to get around to it. The current fluid looks nasty.
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

LeRich

I've bought the fluid to do this on mine

Tags: