Mr2 maf mod rough starting

Started by Rallyeluke, November 8, 2020, 15:33

Rallyeluke

Hi

I did the maf mod yesterday on my facelift 2003 mr2

I have a genuine corky maf riser and yellow 2zz injectors.
It is now all fitted up and the vehicle gets better and better every time I drive it but the vehicle cranks without starting initially and then you turn the key again and it will start and for a split second it will misfire, after that she is perfect.

Any suggestions what may be causing this? Initially I fought a dodgy injector or fuel leak, no leak is present from the rail that I can see.

Any advice is greatly appreciated 🙏  Thankyou Lucas

Petrus

Unfortunately that is a downside.

Mine took rather a while to relearn.
Then it started ok when cold and véry reluctantly when hot unless I pressed the pedal a bit during starting.

After I changed the pcv valve for a new one things have improved to almost normal.
My take on that is that the MAF sensing less flow makes the starting more critical.

Bugster_MR2

I've ran my MAF mod for 5 years+. No such problems with mine.

Try disconnecting your battery overnight and let the ECU reset? What is the state of your air filter and spark plugs?
Bugster
2001 red with KW3, TRD rear brace, Zero race cat and MAF-mod.
2003 silver TTE Turbo, underbrace, sidescoops, style bar, front bumper, rear spoiler, interior garnish, exhaust

Petrus

Quote from: Bugster_MR2 on November  8, 2020, 18:33I've ran my MAF mod for 5 years+. No such problems with mine.

Try disconnecting your battery overnight and let the ECU reset? What is the state of your air filter and spark plugs?

I you disconnect it, it will reset and it will need to relearn.
He can always do that after a few rides.

Beachbum957

We have run the MAF mod on 2 different MR2 with no issues.  However, it is entirely possible to damage the injector seals or use the wrong seals when changing injectors.  That will certainly cause problems from a fuel leak to a small air leak

Cap

Mine is MAF Mod serial Number 1.. No such issues.. Daily Driver.. Cold frosty morning starts, with no throttle input I just turn the key and it Starts. Same when it's hot..

The only 'Issue', is the annoying throttle 'Tip Out Fuel Cut' at 3K RPM..

I wonder if it's somehow a Debris issue from when the fuel system was opened..

I'd like to see a Fuel Pressure Gauge installed, to see if your up to fuel pressure when you are having starting difficulties.

It's a reversible MOD..  Change it back to see if it clears up.. If it Does, then it's Likely an issue with the Injectors..

Cap

jvanzyl

I had that issue - it's down to your O2 sensors beginning to age. As they get older they cannot adjust as quickly thus the extended cranking. You will only need to replace the pre-cat ones. I would also consider replacing the PCV valve as per petrus's comment.

Tags: