Insurance fo Turbo conversion

Started by Anonymous, May 5, 2005, 14:39

Anonymous

I know there has been a lot written on this but every 12 months each persons information is out of date so could those of you lucky enough to have fitted a turbo let us know who you are insured with currently and who you will get quotes from at your next renewal.

My insurance is due in a few days and whilst i am not going to turbo yet, there is a chance that I could do it later this year so i would need to go with a mod friendly company now

mrsmr2

You just want to go and beat that blue Mk2 don't you?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Slacey

I'm with Brentacre, paying (around) £840
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

IIRC, Adrian Flux charge roughly a percentage increase over stock BHP: I think it might have been £100 per 10%, but I can't remember exactly.

roger

Quote from: "ekona"IIRC, Adrian Flux charge roughly a percentage increase over stock BHP: I think it might have been £100 per 10%, but I can't remember exactly.

Adrian Flux didn't want to know BHP increase when I asked for Unichip, H&S Exhaust & Inlet Pipe. Quoted a flat £35 (+ admin fee). definitely worth a go.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Sorry, I should've said that that precentage charge only applies to the turbo conversion. You are indeed right, for 'normal' mods they don't charge like that (if at all).

Bongo

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "ekona"IIRC, Adrian Flux charge roughly a percentage increase over stock BHP: I think it might have been £100 per 10%, but I can't remember exactly.

Adrian Flux didn't want to know BHP increase when I asked for Unichip, H&S Exhaust & Inlet Pipe. Quoted a flat £35 (+ admin fee). definitely worth a go.

They told me that they would charge the % on the Unichip.

I'm with Greenlight, they seem very mod friendly and I know a few people with high % power increases they have also insured, well worth giving them a ring.

Anonymous

I was with DIG when the tubby was on, £26 extra for the turbo but I already had a heavily modded car.  dIG can be very good but there doent sem to be any consistancy

heathstimpson

Flux asked me how much the BHP increase was with the Unichip. I said I would not know without it going on the rolling road, but guessed it was probably in the range of 8-10BHP   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

mph

Quote from: "perry190"I was with DIG when the tubby was on, £26 extra for the turbo but I already had a heavily modded car.  dIG can be very good but there doent sem to be any consistancy
DiG is no longer - taken over by some other company. Sarah no longer works there and they don't appear to have any competitive club insurance scheme any more.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

markiii

DIG is no more? nice of them to inform their customers. So I assume that means I'm stuffed at renewal,

any idea what to do about any mods that get added before renewal? will tehy support them?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

mph

Quote from: "markiii"any idea what to do about any mods that get added before renewal? will tehy support them?
Your guess is as good as mine.   s:? :? s:?  The new company appears to have club insurance for another car, but MR2s are not listed, so who knows.

You could always try calling the MR2DC office and see what they have to say.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

BenF

Quote from: "markiii"DIG is no more? nice of them to inform their customers. So I assume that means I'm stuffed at renewal,

any idea what to do about any mods that get added before renewal? will tehy support them?

FWIW I've been having 'fun' with DIG or A One Insurance Group as they are now - David seems to be the lead there in terms of MR2 insurance.

I've been with them for years but when quoting for the Roadster Turbo conversion they wanted £1250 - way over the odds. I've also heard stories of them not providing full refunds for balances of insurance policies, now charging Admin fees etc - all in all, it looks like they're not as good as they used to be.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

Anonymous

Just a quick addition to this...

I've finally got a full quote from Adrian Flux regarding turbo insurance: Mine will go up from £740 to £960, and that's for running at 180bhp(  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  ), and I'm 25, with 7 years NCB and no accidents or points.

Not too bad really, I'm happy with that.

Slacey

I hope they don't ask for proof of the horsepower figure!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

I'm sure I can 'adjust' a few bits here or there to give that figure...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Bongo

Have you tried any other places?

Anonymous

Nope, and to be honest I can't be bothered. Like I said, I'm happy with that quote, and Adrian Flux were by far the cheapest when I started looking for a mod-friendly insurer. I don't think that me spending ages on the phone is worth a saving of £20 or so.   s:D :D s:D

Bongo

Just wondered, Greenlight were a massive 50% cheaper than flux for me.

Tags: