ARB bushes, refresh or Top Strut Brace?

Started by Zspeed, June 14, 2021, 22:33

Zspeed

Hi,
I have read and load of threads to try and work this out for myself but alot of them have got a bit heavy and in depth so i thought i would ask my own direct question.

My Roadster is my daily and is a great drive on b roads and country lanes. I have noticed the two retaining bushes on my front ARB are split and no longer tight on the bar. I want to replace them and i assume everyone would recommend polybushes?

Should i be considering changing the bar though? Even if it is a new oem spec? Or, would i be better off changing just the bushes and consider a top strut brace instead (i have read a few comments where people felt this done a better job of tightening up the handling more than an uprated ARB)?

My car is a 04 with pfl rear alloys on the front and 205s and 25mm spacers on the rear being the only mods on the car (inherited from previous owner).

I dont see myself tracking in the near future, if i do it would be novice days to understand the car better for the road.

Look forward to some experience based comments 😁
Mostly Silver 04 Roadster. 2zz MAF, Decat Manifold, Zero Sports Cat Pipe.

Alex Knight

I'd just replace the bushes with poly.

I doubt you'd notice the difference, but they will have greater longevity.

Gaz mr-s

Most advice by the experienced on here would say that 205's on the front spoil it.
Be aware that changing the a/roll bar is quite a big job.

Zspeed

I have read about trouble getting the bolts out for the ARB. I have some replacements ready and the chap helping has all the kit to drill and retap if required. It's partly my reason for asking about the top brace, it sounds a lot easier to add that than replace the the ARB, but does it do the job as well and adds more weight. Wondering if anyone had done both and whether there is much difference in the results

Gaz mr-s

They'll both improve the driving feel, but they're for different purposes. The biggest improvement most people think is a mid-underbrace, then a front strut brace. They both improve torsional rigidity, & the strut brace's effect on cabin/dash creak can be noticed.

The a/roll bar is just that.

I'm in the middle of refurbing & didn't realise the suspension arms would need to come off to fit the a/roll bar.
My a/roll bar mounting bolts came out no problem. Wire brush & plus-gas & tighten them initially.

Joesson

I've had front and rear ARB out to de rust and repaint. I don't recall removing the suspension arms to do that. It's a bit like threading a needle getting them in and out but I managed it in my typical one car width, can't get the doors wide open garage.

Iain

New polybushes will be fine as will new oem bushes for that matter. The standard bar is fine especially if not thinking of track work.

The front strut brace is a great add on and really sharpens up the front end.

I'd do both 😜

Zspeed

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on June 15, 2021, 15:04They'll both improve the driving feel, but they're for different purposes. The biggest improvement most people think is a mid-underbrace, then a front strut brace. They both improve torsional rigidity, & the strut brace's effect on cabin/dash creak can be noticed.

The a/roll bar is just that.

I'm in the middle of refurbing & didn't realise the suspension arms would need to come off to fit the a/roll bar.
My a/roll bar mounting bolts came out no problem. Wire brush & plus-gas & tighten them initially.

I think my car has the oem mid brace, a sort of plate with a mixture of small and large holes in it. Is it to improve that or is it for another position?

Gaz mr-s

The type & amount of bracing changed from pfl to FL & changed at least once after, later 2004 cars (I think) having the final versions.  But a mid underbrace is aftermarket. An example.

Zspeed

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on June 16, 2021, 00:10The type & amount of bracing changed from pfl to FL & changed at least once after, later 2004 cars (I think) having the final versions.  But a mid underbrace is aftermarket. An example.

Thanks Gaz, that is really useful. I done a quick search and see others discussing this now. Claim seems to be the mid brace helps to reduce scuttle shake as well. I like the sound of this as the roof is off as much as possible.

Smithy

Quote from: Iain on June 15, 2021, 18:03New polybushes will be fine as will new oem bushes for that matter. The standard bar is fine especially if not thinking of track work.

The front strut brace is a great add on and really sharpens up the front end.

I'd do both 😜
Just a quick question re rear ARB bushes. I measured 17mm diameter ARB for a face lift 2, is that right?  15, 17, 18 & 20mm are available on line
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Tags: