Tein springs zzw30 front sits high

Started by Rallyeluke, July 7, 2021, 23:25

Rallyeluke

I have had my tein springs on japanparts shocks fitted for 3 months now and the front sits higher than the back.

The front is stripped out with no spare wheel and plastics etc but I would of thought the front would of settled lower by now? You cannot view this attachment.

Iain

Thats probably about right if im honest. The front will always be higher looking on a FL as you have the bigger, 16 inch rear wheel.

Weight loss of the spare wheel etc will make no difference.

Only way to get that nose down would be adjustable coilovers.

Also im always a bit confused with tein springs, some companies advertise them as 33 drop at the rear, 29 front, on here you'll find that people seem to say it the other way round. So im not sure what you get when fitted.

I think the car sits well, and i love the white wheels 😃

shnazzle

I was decently certain that it was the fronts that are lower on the Teins for more rake?
...neutiquam erro.

105e

On the advertisements for the teins that ive seen it says lower at the back, which would look pretty stupid if its right..

s12vea

Stock set up the rear sit higher, with the teins it makes the car more level.
Possibly the best aftermarket lowering spring for our cars
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

s12vea

One of mine on tein for reference
TF204 Blue

Rallyeluke

Quote from: s12vea on July  8, 2021, 07:58One of mine on tein for reference

I would say that our cars sit pretty much identically to be fair :)

Have you cut your front bumpstops?

I didn't bother originally but after reading some posts on here I stripped the fronts down and cut 20mm off both bumpstops and it is much nice to drive now  IMHO

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Rallyeluke on July  8, 2021, 08:04Have you cut your front bumpstops?
I didn't bother originally but after reading some posts on here I stripped the fronts down and cut 20mm off both bumpstops and it is much nice to drive now  IMHO

So you were frequently hitting the bumpstops before?

s12vea

Quote from: Rallyeluke on July  8, 2021, 08:04

No need to cut them
TF204 Blue

Rallyeluke

Quote from: s12vea on July  8, 2021, 09:13
Quote from: Rallyeluke on July  8, 2021, 08:04

No need to cut them

Apparently they originally came with instructions to cut bump stops down, I have cut mine down and now the front end doesn't feel harsh over rough surfaces.

It has made a noticeable difference to the suspension stroke travel on the front. I am chuffed.

A quick search brings up previous discussions on cutting them.

s12vea

I guess some cut them some don't, I've never had an issue on any of my cars I've when fitting teins.
The ride is very oem yet a tad lower
They settle nicely after a few hundred miles
TF204 Blue

Iain

Quote from: shnazzle on July  8, 2021, 07:30I was decently certain that it was the fronts that are lower on the Teins for more rake?

This would be the sensible thought. Everywhere that sells them that i can find say they lower the back more, just odd to me that.

Ive not long fitted eibach lowering springs to mine and the rear of the 2 cars pictured do look to sit lower at the back than mine does.

Rallyeluke

I have aftermarket bumpstops from mr2ben on mine so maybe they are a little longer than stock hence I have felt a benefit to cutting them.

Certainly conflicting info on if it is necessary but in my case it has helped.

Beachbum957

We ran Tein-S for a number of years without cut bump stops, and then found the shock body on the front would just touch the OEM stops when sitting at a static height.  So almost any small bump brought them into play.  We cut the fronts down almost 1" (25 mm) to just below the groove for the boot.  It worked much better and there was almost 1" of travel until the strut hit the bump stops. The rear bump stops were never cut and they never seemed to come into play. 

The only negative was the front stop that was left is now much stiffer (shorter), so if you hit a bump big enough to travel to the stop, the "hit" is pretty harsh.  But that is a very big bump.

It is possible Tein has changed the springs over the years, but when we bought them almost 10 years ago, they claimed 1.4" front and 1.2" rear (same claim today), but our PFL dropped about 1.75" front and rear.  The measurement from the sill jacking point to the ground was 4.5" front and rear.  That will vary with tire sizes.  At that time, they did recommend cutting both the front and rear bump stops, but as mentioned, we never cut the rears.

We have since switched to H&R springs which raised the car about 1/2" front and rear as ground clearance was a problem.

Petrus

I am  :o  about a possible negative rake. It is not desireable on the MR2 at all! It makes the front end lighter as speed increases.
TRD went for a marked positive rake with the Sportivo set.
Before mounting that, I decided to cut down the front OEM springs a bit more than the rears and the about 10 mm extra rake was definitely a positive. It made the front both less understeered and less nervous, which rarely works out like that.
Ok, it lóóked a bit less balanced as the 15" rears optically fill the wheel arches less than the fronts but hey, looks versus réal balance... ;)

Topdownman

Quote from: 105e on July  8, 2021, 07:40On the advertisements for the teins that ive seen it says lower at the back, which would look pretty stupid if its right..

My understanding is that the teins drop the rear by 29mm and the front by 33mm. This is no doubt aimed at reducing the oem front high look.

Other lowering springs seem to be 30mm front and rear.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Iain

Quote from: Topdownman on July  9, 2021, 12:23
Quote from: 105e on July  8, 2021, 07:40On the advertisements for the teins that ive seen it says lower at the back, which would look pretty stupid if its right..

My understanding is that the teins drop the rear by 29mm and the front by 33mm. This is no doubt aimed at reducing the oem front high look.

Other lowering springs seem to be 30mm front and rear.

Seems to be everywhere that sells them they drop the rear more. Very strange and would love to know the thinking behind that.

Petrus

Quote from: Iain on July  9, 2021, 12:55Seems to be everywhere that sells them they drop the rear more. Very strange and would love to know the thinking behind that.

there is another weird one;  the OEM relative spring rate front/rear is 100/150% and TRD goes 100/200 for both the Sportivo and the Race yet most after market springs retain 100/150.

Tags: