TRD

Started by tomato, July 13, 2021, 13:06

tomato

Afternoon all,

Quick question, are the TRD upgrades more body related or did they do performance upgrades for the MR2 as well?

Thanks

Dev

Its a mixed bag for the brand. Some are excellent parts, some are mediocre mild parts where the aftermarket does better at a lower costs and some are for that TRD badging mystic. On the whole TRD parts are generally high quality but in most cases overpriced considering there are alternatives some of which are built by our community of owners.  They are considered performance upgrades but are generally mild for our car.

tomato

That makes sense, looking at this picture the red pipe/thing next to the battery, what is that assume a mod of some description. Car got a trd quad exhaust too which seems a tad over the top..

Used Toyota MR2 ROADSTER for sale | PistonHeads UK
https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11688656

Bernie

Quote from: tomato on July 13, 2021, 13:22That makes sense, looking at this picture the red pipe/thing next to the battery, what is that assume a mod of some description. Car got a trd quad exhaust too which seems a tad over the top..

The exhaust isn't TRD it's made by Cobra, I think you'll find the badges are about the only thing TRD on that car
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Call the midlife!

Quote from: tomato on July 13, 2021, 13:22That makes sense, looking at this picture the red pipe/thing next to the battery, what is that assume a mod of some description. Car got a trd quad exhaust too which seems a tad over the top..

The red pipe will be for an alternative air filter arrangement, often called a "cold air induction kit" which is a misnomer in this case, unless it's piped up to the original intake feed.

The jury will always be out on the relative merits of fitting one to a standard engine but they do make a nice sound, if you like that sort of thing.
60% of the time it works everytime...

tomato

Thank you, did look a little suspect 😉

The Other Stu

Best TRD mods for me were the front bracing, but then again, some of our own community have improved it.
Many people feel the rear one is just extra weight and an engine brace is a better mod (I liked @Bernie 's one and meant to ask if it's a unicorn or an available part)

Interestingly, most ricer/kit parts are TTE (Toyota Team Europe).
I guess they didn't like the idea of Turd branded parts here, in the same way, that the MR2 is not an MR2 in France (Emm-Air-Duh as it's pronounced in France sounds like "Merde")

What makes it even more confusing is that the bodykit you'll see on a lot of our cars is often called a "TTE skirts", when in fact it's a Toyota GB kit.
No Longer Here

Alex Knight

I've got a genuine TRD exhaust, and I think it's great. Just right for my car.

s12vea

The previous owner must have loved buying fake eBay TRD badges
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Petrus

Quote from: tomato on July 13, 2021, 13:06Afternoon all,

Quick question, are the TRD upgrades more body related or did they do performance upgrades for the MR2 as well?

Thanks

TRD is a a bigger mixed bag than Dev already suggests.
The bulk of the range is merchandise.

On the sharp end there are the far fewer real go faster goodies craeting the added value for the merchandise.

There wás a quite extended range for the MR2. Bolt on things like the inlet horn mod, properly working short shifter, proper braces, very well sorted complete suspension upgrade and full body kits.

Petrus

Quote from: The Other Stu on July 13, 2021, 16:19an engine brace is a better mod (I liked @Bernie 's one and meant to ask if it's a unicorn or an available part)

There is a thread on the head steady if that is what you mean.
Carolyn made some mounting kits.

Bernie

Quote from: The Other Stu on July 13, 2021, 16:19Best TRD mods for me were the front bracing, but then again, some of our own community have improved it.
Many people feel the rear one is just extra weight and an engine brace is a better mod (I liked @Bernie 's one and meant to ask if it's a unicorn or an available part)

It's a C One incorporating the engine brace so now hard to come by
You cannot view this attachment.
Readers Ride

Petrus

Quote from: Bernie on July 13, 2021, 17:25It's a C One incorporating the engine brace so now hard to come by

Nicely shiney.

Is the engine brace júst visible at the RHS tower?

Joesson

Quote from: Bernie on July 13, 2021, 17:25
Quote from: The Other Stu on July 13, 2021, 16:19Best TRD mods for me were the front bracing, but then again, some of our own community have improved it.

Your not fooling me this time Bernie, I know  those panelled doors aren't in your engine bay!

Bernie

Quote from: Petrus on July 13, 2021, 17:34
Quote from: Bernie on July 13, 2021, 17:25It's a C One incorporating the engine brace so now hard to come by

Nicely shiney.

Is the engine brace júst visible at the RHS tower?

Yep it's red and black off the bracket
Readers Ride

Petrus

Quote from: Bernie on July 13, 2021, 17:59Yep it's red and black off the bracket

Thanks.

@The Other Stu

Here is the ´forum one´:

The Other Stu

Ah ok, it's part of the overall brace.
I know @Carolyn has a different mod and we've talked about whether a 2zz can incorporate that (we think it can)
No Longer Here

Call the midlife!

Quote from: The Other Stu on July 13, 2021, 22:03

Ah ok, it's part of the overall brace.
I know @Carolyn has a different mod and we've talked about whether a 2zz can incorporate that (we think it can)
I think you'd struggle to be honest Stu, I can't imagine you finding one to go with the brown...🤓
60% of the time it works everytime...

Tags: