ECU Master EMU Black - Review and Thoughts

Started by Gaz2405, October 21, 2021, 20:48

Gaz2405

Thought I'd get a little review done of the EMU Black I've just fitted to my 1zz Turbo, coming from an Apexi PFC I thought it would give a good balance and over view of how ECU's  have come on in the 20 years between the two.

So I purchased the EMU Black from RRR Engineering, with a 1zz plug and play adapter harness with the extra inputs pre wired for oil pressure and lift switch for when I go 2zz.

I also had a couple of spare inputs added for future use and a bosch IAT sensor.

A paid around a grand in total.

Now straight out of the box the ECU is nice and compact which makes for an easy mounting position on the bulk  head wall was my final position.

I downloaded the software to have a play about with it first and its all very intuitive  and easy to use.

Once I was comfortable with where everything was, I went about connecting up my harness. The EMU Black uses the original ECU to run certain items such as coolant temp gauges on the dash and a few other items.

Once plugged in, I ran a silicone hoes through the bulk head to attach to the on board MAP sensor.

After searching around online and looking at various base maps, I made the decision to build my own base map using items from the the MWR 2zz base map and adjusting to suit the 1zz turbo I'm currently running.

After watching hours of ECU Master USA youtube videos, I started my methodically working my way through the menu list.

To start with setting up my analogue inputs and making sure I had readings from all sensors.

Following this I went onto the VE table, now this was the 1st main difference from the PFC for me as the PFC didn't use VE table it used injection timing, time open and % of fuelling.

Another couple of hours watching the HP Academy videos and Tuning fork on VE tables and I was comfortable with what I had in the settings.

Next up the injector wizard tool is amazing, select the injectors you have and it does everything else for you.

After this I set m target AFR table and we went for a 1st start.......

Nothing it wouldn't "catch", after checking back through my injector settings, there are two types of Siemens deka 630cc Injectors, in my haste I'd selected the wrong ones.

After that it fired straight up and idled perfectly, no having to learn its idle  like on  PFC just perfect idle straight away.

After letting the car get up to temperature and checking the rad fan came on when it was supposed to, I turned the EGO feedback on (Fuelling correction base on the AFR reference table) and went out for a steady drive.

1st impressions where it ran nice and smoother than on the PFC.

After half an hour or some of driving round I came back and checked the fuel trims to see where we were vs target AFR table and it wasn't far off.

So literally up and running very quickly.

That's where I left it for around a week and then looked at it again tonight to get my fuelling spot on.

Now this is where it is much easier to tune, the autotune feature (which you can use with EGO on) is a fantastic piece of kit and makes getting fuelling spot on a doddle!

Simply go out for a drive, log some data. Run autotune, which enables you to compare you VE table and difference and compare your AFR and target AFR.

Highlight and copy the new VE table and paste into your fuelling VE table and boom job done.

Something like that on the PFC for me was hours of logging, checking, changing and re-changing.

Next up was pulls, fuelling was spot on and MAP sensor shows me running 14 psi of boost at peak.

Knock sensor wise, and engine protection wise there are so many protection features you can run its brilliant.

I'll start to add timing now, as currently the car still pulls hard but currently not getting very high knock readings.

The ability to be able to see fuelling and timing maps in 3d makes the smoothing of them much easier.

I've yet to fully realise its full potential but so far very, very impressed with the ease of set up and the ease of tuning.

I would list all of the features but we'd be here forever, but if your curious:

https://www.ecumaster.com/products/emu-black/

1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

shnazzle

I would have been able to give you a couple turbo maps but doing it from "scratch" is a much better approach. 
If it makes you feel better, as far as I have seen, all the maps from RRR have all been based on 2zz as well (assume from their Lotus experience).

Well done. I was equally impressed with it all for all the same reasons. The "autotune" is really nice. Not prescriptive, just "Here's what we think you should do, do you want to implement? If so, how much of it and where?" 

Now... Watch that wideband o2 sensor. I'll be very interested to know
A) what settings you chose for wideband warm-up and start-up and
B) how long it lasts.
...neutiquam erro.

Gaz2405

Quote from: shnazzle on October 21, 2021, 21:17Now... Watch that wideband o2 sensor. I'll be very interested to know
B) how long it lasts.

I've actually decided against using the on board Controller for the time being, as I have to repin the connector as it came with a deutsch connector.

So I'm running the 0-5v analogue input from my AEM wideband, which is also known to be spot on in terms of reading.

But I was looking at slow start up and warm up.

shnazzle

Quote from: Gaz2405 on October 21, 2021, 21:24
Quote from: shnazzle on October 21, 2021, 21:17Now... Watch that wideband o2 sensor. I'll be very interested to know
B) how long it lasts.

I've actually decided against using the on board Controller for the time being, as I have to repin the connector as it came with a deutsch connector.

So I'm running the 0-5v analogue input from my AEM wideband, which is also known to be spot on in terms of reading.

Even more interesting! So you could try both...

Basically, don't know if you know, but EMBs seem to eat widebands. I'm currently in a group with a whole bunch of Lotus chaps with EMBs and trying to figure it out. Some of them have gone through about 5-6 widebands.

Others never have issues. It's odd. And not related to placement which was the first suggestion. They even got in touch with Bosch to try to figure it out.
...neutiquam erro.

Gaz2405

Quote from: shnazzle on October 21, 2021, 21:45
Quote from: Gaz2405 on October 21, 2021, 21:24
B) how long it lasts.

Even more interesting! So you could try both...

Basically, don't know if you know, but EMBs seem to eat widebands. I'm currently in a group with a whole bunch of Lotus chaps with EMBs and trying to figure it out. Some of them have gone through about 5-6 widebands.

Others never have issues. It's odd. And not related to placement which was the first suggestion. They even got in touch with Bosch to try to figure it out.

Ah interesting! Think I'll stick with my analogue input for now then!

Call the midlife!

I'm on my 3rd wideband but I've had a lot of other issues with the tune and oil burning which have contributed to an overly harsh environment for them.
I'm not even sure the current one is still working as it's gone back to lumpy running until fully warmed up again but conversely returning slightly better mpg since I started using V power a couple of tanks ago.
60% of the time it works everytime...

shnazzle

Latest conclusion from the Lotus and ECUMASTER Facebook group; run a standalone WBO controller.
So you've done the right thing Gaz.

It's just clearly not very good with LSU4.9 sensors. Fine with 4.2.
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Just a side note to those interested; one of the main people at RRR, the main Ecumaster dealer, has left the company.
He was driving most of the work, so you might want to look elsewhere now other than for shop purposes.

There's an outfit here in Newcastle which is a dealer and picking up good pace. They're next door to JM Imports so there's a fair bit of cross-pollination of knowledge. 
"The Car Whisperer"
...neutiquam erro.

Gaz2405

Quote from: shnazzle on January  4, 2022, 12:23Just a side note to those interested; one of the main people at RRR, the main Ecumaster dealer, has left the company.
He was driving most of the work, so you might want to look elsewhere now other than for shop purposes.

There's an outfit here in Newcastle which is a dealer and picking up good pace. They're next door to JM Imports so there's a fair bit of cross-pollination of knowledge.
"The Car Whisperer"

Is this Greg who's left?

shnazzle

Quote from: Gaz2405 on January  4, 2022, 13:54
Quote from: shnazzle on January  4, 2022, 12:23Just a side note to those interested; one of the main people at RRR, the main Ecumaster dealer, has left the company.

"The Car Whisperer"

Is this Greg who's left?
No, Roberto
...neutiquam erro.

Zspeed

"The Car Whisperer"

I have seen some of their work. The fabrication in the engine bay was good and the builder at tcw seemed knowledgeable. 

The car had an emu black in it, but I'm not sure about the tune or the install. There were problems with both but I couldn't work out if it was tcw issue or what the car owner had asked for.

A lot of the dash didn't work but when I spoke directly to Ecumaster they said it can easily be sorted but would cost. It was like tcw couldn't finish it, but can't say why.

The owner claimed it was half an install as he was hoping to add an adu at a later date but it meant the car clearly had a 'friendly mot' for now and was not worth what was claimed.

I wouldn't say don't use them but I would certainly try and speak to someone that has had similar work done before you do.

Mostly Silver 04 Roadster. 2zz MAF, Decat Manifold, Zero Sports Cat Pipe.

Tags: