Bye Bye Understeer

Started by Anonymous, May 14, 2005, 13:55

Anonymous

Finally got my TRD front tower brace delivered yesterday and have just fitted it and taken my 2 for a blast.

First impressions are pretty good.

The car it MUCH more stable on uneven roads. Before, I though there was something wrong with the car, but I think the lack of front end ridgidity was obviously causing the car to twist - sometime feeling like it was driving its self!!

The other big thing I've noticed is that there is now no understeer. The car is basically stock (minus precats   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ) and after performing the roundabout test, it now feels completely neutral  s:D :D s:D  .

Been looking to by a Corky anti-flex plate. Does anyone know if this will eliminate the scuttle shake?

kanujunkie

that and a descent set of tyres would certainly help
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

mrsmr2

The Corky plate will reduce the shake but not eliminate it.  

What year is your 2?

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

year: 2002

Quotethat and a descent set of tyres would certainly help

kanujunkie - What would you class as a decent set of tyres? I see that Toyo Proxies are well spoken off.

kanujunkie

yep they certainly are, i'm just in the process of ordering some T1-R's at the moment
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Chris

On a similar note, I spent around 2 hours today fitting my Cusco Front Strut Brace that I've had for months...

This adds to my Corky flex plate and the recently added T1-Rs so it will be interesting to see how it drives now...

edit: looks like i lost most of the pics while resizing - i really must get some decent photo editing software!!
edit2: uploaded the full size ones again...
edit3: updated pics link to new hosting site..
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Chris, how easy was it to cut your plastic cover. I've not attempted to do mine yet!

Ernie Ball

Can you open the front hatch still with that brace there?

Anonymous

Easy solution is just to get rid of the plastics altogether... Think of the weight saving too!   s8) 8) s8)

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"Can you open the front hatch still with that brace there?

with the TRD one the answers no, you have to remove the hatch cover, but dont fret, nothing ever gets wet in there even with the cover off.

i know there is one type though where you can still use the hatch cover but for the life of me i cant remember which one it is  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Just ordered Corky's Anti Flexplate. Be interesting to see how it fairs.

On another note. Just bought Forza on the Xbox. You can do LOTS of customizing - Superchared MR-S anyone??

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "Ernie Ball"Can you open the front hatch still with that brace there?

know there is one type though where you can still use the hatch cover but for the life of me i cant remember which one it is  s:? :? s:?

Maybe it's that Cusco?  Looks like he's still got the hatch cover in place.

Anonymous

Hi
Quote from: "mikeep"Just ordered Corky's Anti Flexplate. Be interesting to see how it fairs.

On another note. Just bought Forza on the Xbox. You can do LOTS of customizing - Superchared MR-S anyone??

Keep me posted with your verdict please mikeep

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Dominic_Gregory"Keep me posted with your verdict

just get one, it's one of the best mods you can do, stiffens the car up no end
[size=100]Stu[/size]

mrsmr2

I can't comment on the other mods but, the anti flex plate is definitely worth having.

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Ernie Ball

Where can you buy one?

Anonymous

m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtop ... ght=corkey m

Get in touch with 'CeeDapp'.

Ernie Ball

How hard is it to install?

Anonymous

A strut brace at the front sounds like an essential.

The car does clearly 'bend' if you know what I mean on uneven roads. The brace seems to really stiffen the body up and is worth doing ?

What does the breast plate do exactly ?

GSB

Ahem...

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7041 m

Essential on Pre'04 cars (Before Toyota added the output of a small foundry below the front suspension), Not so helpful on post '04...

Also consider TRD Member braces for Pre facelift cars, these made the biggest difference by far to my previous '01 MR2.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"Ahem...

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7041 m

Essential on Pre'04 cars (Before Toyota added the output of a small foundry below the front suspension), Not so helpful on post '04...

Also consider TRD Member braces for Pre facelift cars, these made the biggest difference by far to my previous '01 MR2.

How does the TRD measure up to the one you are selling (sorry to be off topic slightly)

My car is a 2001 Y Reg Mk3 MR2, if that helps...PICS for identification

m http://img152.echo.cx/my.php?image=prague0369qb.jpg m
 m http://img190.echo.cx/my.php?image=prague0370xg.jpg m
 m http://img190.echo.cx/my.php?image=prague0353bp.jpg m

kanujunkie

Quote from: "samhain"What does the breast plate do exactly ?

because of the way the cars designed there are effectivley 2 halves to the car, the breastplate ties these together across the transmission tunnel, normal vehicles dont have this problem as they have a roof to keep that rigidity within them but we dont and hence the need to tie them together again. Unfortunatly Mr.T made a cack job of sorting this out with the stock items and so in came Corky with the answer
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

because of the way the cars designed there are effectivley 2 halves to the car, the breastplate ties these together across the transmission tunnel, normal vehicles dont have this problem as they have a roof to keep that rigidity within them but we dont and hence the need to tie them together again. Unfortunatly Mr.T made a cack job of sorting this out with the stock items and so in came Corky with the answer

Thanks mate. Presumably the holes for attaching the plate have to be predrilled ?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "samhain"

Thanks mate. Presumably the holes for attaching the plate have to be predrilled ?

they come from corky predrilled, all you do is bolt it on
[size=100]Stu[/size]

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "kanujunkie"they come from corky predrilled, all you do is bolt it on
... in place of the really weedy ones that are there already.

Simon

Tags: