comparing charge coolers & novelties

Started by jvanzyl, February 8, 2022, 11:31

jvanzyl

So I'm researching what charge cooler setup to go with.. and broadly speaking we seem to have the old "barrel" and then the square ones..

Would welcome any input on pros and cons of fitting either. I'm assuming it's coming down to ease of space and fitment and actual cooling ability.

Started some browsing on ebay to what was about and came across a couple of designs :
A Merc A class AMG:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363287422666?hash=item54959e26ca%3Ag%3AR1wAAOSwCQBgIqLw&LH_ItemCondition=4

Does anyone know what the extra little pipe holes are for? I can see normal liquid and air...

And a Mclaren MP4:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373686651117?hash=item570175c8ed%3Ag%3A91cAAOSwOyJX7Rl3&LH_ItemCondition=4

Is it just me or is this two little jobs stuck together and then a little pipe running between them???

Call the midlife!

On the merc one I'm assuming it's for blow off/recirculation valving etc.
60% of the time it works everytime...

jvanzyl

Quote from: Call the midlife! on February  8, 2022, 11:49On the merc one I'm assuming it's for blow off/recirculation valving etc.

ah ok...

would you be a bit miffed if your fancy Mclaren had the above chargecooler? I cannot think of a reason for the design..

Petrus

Quote from: jvanzyl on February  8, 2022, 11:31Is it just me or is this two little jobs stuck together and then a little pipe running between them???

Not you.

Call the midlife!

The Mc one is only one of multiples on the vehicle so I'm sure there's a really good reason for it...

jvanzyl

do you reckon there's a workshop charge section for "leaking charge cooler gasket" ?

:-) I jest of course... would love to have one of those cars, it's quite interesting browsing the used parts bin on ebay to see how most of the big companies do stuff and it's nice to see the weird smaller companies do things a bit different.

Call the midlife!

I don't think you can do bad for the money with the AVT stuff I've seen, I know it's probably a bit more expensive than reclaimed parts but the barrels I've seen look nice and neat and fit well in place of the OEM induction piping.

Tags: