Dyno in Essex + poss meet-up

Started by Anonymous, May 17, 2005, 16:58

Anonymous

Just a quickie...

As per the title, does anyone know of a dyno shop anywhere in Essex (preferably close to Braintree)? I just want to get my car dyno'd before the turbo goes in, just out of interest more than anything. I've tried googling, but got nowhere fast.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Any ideas?

Peter Wright

Quote from: "ekona"Any ideas?

Might be too far but I got mine done here http://www.enginetuning.net

Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Liz

There is a place in Witham
I think I listed it on the Unichip GB thread - I will have a look!

Had a look - here they are - I got the name for them from Dastek UK

Engine Advantages Ltd : Car Repairs in Witham

Engine Advantages Ltd
UNIT14/4 Crittall Rd
Witham
CM8 3DR
01376 502522
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

That'll do nicely, thanks Liz.

markiii

let me knwo how much they want Imay come with you.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Will do, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Anonymous

Okay, I rang them today and they said that they charge £40+VAT (£47) for a single run. I don't know much about dyno prices, but that seems reasonable enough to me, so I'm going to go ahead and book myself in.

Mark (or anyone else local), let me know if you're still interested and what days you can/can't do, and I'll sort something out.

markiii

I'm in, anyone fancy making a meet of it?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

LeeUK

Well it's only round the corner from me Mark, we could swap engine covers!  May have those brakelines to as a mate may fit them for me in-time for this snetterton day!   s:D :D s:D
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

kanujunkie

i've got details of a dyno place in Bexley Heath if its of use, they do Unichip programming as well
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Jap GT300

We went up there today.  Mark and Dan had pretty good results from their setups.

The 2ZZ dyno was halted at 101bhp because it was running too lean.  I've booked the car in to have the Unichip properly mapped on 24th June so I should have some better figures then.

I didn't realise Sanspeed did the unichip (if thats who your talking about Stu).  They are only around the corner from me.

kanujunkie

Bexley Motor Works
10A Lion Road
Bexleyheath
Kent
DA6 8NR

0208 304 9797

got this direct from Dastek
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

My dyno graph from yesterday:

Click for bigger version

Power was 150.1bhp at the flywheel and 133.5lb/ft of torque, and looking at the graph I'm guessing that it's roughly 108bhp at the wheels. I'm happy with those figures, and the lines are fairly smooth too.

I was hoping for around 145bhp with my mods, so I'd consider that a result! Although I did actually forget at one point that I've got the RPS flywheel in as well, so I certainly think that helped the figures.

BenF

A little late on this one, but there is an IMOC Dyno day that we're sorting out at Engine Advantages at Whitham on June 12th - if anyone fancies joining the 20-30 cars there you'd be very welcome.

I'll be there with my PE Turbo'd MK3.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

Chris

Cool, thats not far from me, so I'll try and make that one.
Do I have to book in or anything, or just turn up - what time?
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Slacey

Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

BenF

Quote from: "Chris"Cool, thats not far from me, so I'll try and make that one.
Do I have to book in or anything, or just turn up - what time?

Everyone is welcome to come along and have a look - if you want to have a run on the Dyno, drop CosmosblueMR2 (Frank) a PM on the IMOC site and if you PayPal him £5 that will cover your space.

You might still just be able to pick up a space if you want to get on the Dyno - there are a few people who originally wanted spaces who haven't paid and probably are dropping out - you could pick one of those up.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

Anonymous

Does anybody know where can I do a Dyno test around Brighton? Is there any article in here explaining all about dyno including relevant links etc.? What else other than bhp and torque do you get out of this test? Thanks.

BenF

Just an update from me after that Dyno run - my PE Turbo installation now is working fully.

I'd got the car dyno'd at Millway, and then Lorven Performance Services in Ipswich, and both gave me 198bhp and 180bhp of torque.

The night before the Dyno session I'd fitted new NGK BKR6EYA-11 plugs gapped down to 0.8mm, rather than the standard ones gapped down to 0.6mm that Millway had done. I also thought I'd check the K&N oil filter.

Having got it off the car, I was staggered by how dirty and clogged with dust it was - it took 8 changes of water + detergent to get it fairly clean, and then two further sessions with the corrosive K&N filter cleaner before it I was happy it was clean enough to dry it and re-oil it and put it back on the Roadster.

Driving around afterwards, the car felt a little 'quicker' - it caused one moment of worry as it popped off one of the vaccum hoses causing it to miss at high revs and throttle inputs, but that was fixed easily by tracing the hissing noise of the vaccum leak at idle.

The following morning, having got everything sorted, the car ran well down to Engine Advantages. Having got it set up on the dyno they took it through one power run which went well, but part way through the second power run I spotted it was leaking coolant  s:( :( s:(

After the run I got it outside and borrowed some jacks and stands to try to trace where the water leak was. I traced it back to a coolant hose onto the oil cooler - the spring clip wasn't holding the coolant hose onto the metal pipe and due to the high water pressure it was leaking coolant.

I bought some jubilee clips to replace the spring clips, and after a couple of hours fidding around under the car I managed to replace the clip on the hose with a jubilee clip, get it all back together and top up the coolant again.

I decided then to take it back for a second pair of power runs - just to check all was OK and that it would take some abuse on the rolling road without leaking again.

This second power run produced some even better figures than before - the peak torque was a little lower as the car had be heatsoaking idiling outside, but I was pleased with the results - 195 ft/lbs of torque and 220bhp :

On this plot - the solid lines are the second run, the dotted lines the first run with the water leak) - the Blue line is the estimated flywheel power.

Anonymous

Now there not too shoddy numbers for our 'wee' turbo. What psi was that at?

Chris

shame i couldn't make it to this after all - all the spaces had been sold and while i was intending to go for a look see anyway, I did the good grandson bit and went to see my nan...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

BenF

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"Now there not too shoddy numbers for our 'wee' turbo. What psi was that at?

I tried to get some video of the run showing the output figures on the main display, as well as the boost gauge, but there was too much glare from teh boost gauge.

The Run itself was at 7psi - Looking at the torque plot you can see where Millway took out a large chunk of timing advance at 4k rpms, reducing the torque figures there. Hopefully a remap listening carefully for det should smooth that out a little.

One thing I have noticed though is an occaisional smell of oil though, especially when coming off the throttle - there's no smoke though.

Is this a known issue with the PE turbo?

dimwit

Had my P.E. set-up at Thor racing and managed to get 219bhp (185at wheels) running at 6psi, well fast enough for me!!..  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

BenF, yes i too get the occasional smell of burning oil, no leaks or smoke also...Maybe Ian could unlighten us on this issue?...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "dimwit"Had my P.E. set-up at Thor racing and managed to get 219bhp (185at wheels) running at 6psi, well fast enough for me!!..  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

BenF, yes i too get the occasional smell of burning oil, no leaks or smoke also...Maybe Ian could unlighten us on this issue?...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I must admit i'm suprised at the figures we're getting at low'ish psi from the small turbo, must be the good water/air IC's we've got.

Did you not get them to tune it for higher boost while you were there?

I don't remember getting any smell of burning oil but if i did just occasionally i wouldn't worry as the breather goes back into the inlet pipe and some oil does get forced through while it's breathing.

Can you and BenF possibly share you emanage maps with me so i can compare with all the others i have?

dimwit

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"Did you not get them to tune it for higher boost while you were there?
Yes, i was going too, but the wife's moaning like a good'un   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:   and had to compromise at 6psi, after'all it is her car for work tho, but i will go back and get the psi up a bit more when she stops whinging... Women  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"I don't remember getting any smell of burning oil but if i did just occasionally i wouldn't worry as the breather goes back into the inlet pipe and some oil does get forced through while it's breathing.
Aah, okay!...
Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"Can you and BenF possibly share you emanage maps with me so i can compare with all the others i have?
Certainly mate, not a problem.. Just p.m me!..

Tags: