2002 Roadster Stereo Problem

Started by Anonymous, May 21, 2005, 19:22

Anonymous

I have a 2002 (December) MR2 Roadster - facelift version- with the factory Toyota CD/Radio system.
I wanted to replace the ICE with a Sony, but I am now told by a local shop and Halfords, that this is not possible due to some ' LEXUS wiring '. They have given me no option.

Am I stuck with this Stereo ????

markiii

if you have the standard sony double din in place it is very easy to replace
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Had my double din unit replaced by Halfords with a Sony.  No problems with wiring and ariel acts as normal  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

BenF

They're talking rubbish I'm afraid. I've just installed a new Kenwood Head unit into my 03 car.

Using the info from GSB (nice one!) and other posts about installing a head unit I did it myself - just take your time. The only thing you need though is a Autoleads Toyota to ISO converter loom, assuming your stereo has an ISO output - fairly much all new stereos will do.

I was wondering what impact using so many adapters would have on the sound, but TBH with the standard door speakers in place and playing from a CD source through the Kenwood KDC-W7531 head unit it sounds plenty good enough for me.

I was thinking of upgrading the door speakers for some components, but I'm quite happy for the time being with leaving them as they are.

FWIW, if you need the adapters and converters, take a look in the Installation accessories section of  w www.justkenwood.co.uk w  - the ISO adapter is £9.99, and the Toyota Stereo mounting kit is £24.99 (same price as through Halfords, but less hassle / waiting!)
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

GSB

Your dealer is speaking via his ringpiece...

There are four plugs in the back of the factory head units on facelift cars. 2 of them are for the £1000 sat nav system that hardly anyone bothers to have fitted, so they can be unplugged and tucked under the carpet. The other 2 contain only power and speaker wires and are plugged into an ISO converter lead and ANY head unit can then be fitted...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tags: