Rear drop links

Started by MrChris, September 22, 2022, 12:40

MrChris

Have gone to put new rear springs on the car. Everything going well. Started taking the drop link off the sway bar, the nut came off most of the way then the allen key rounded out the stud.. bugger. Any tips for getting this off (or back on)? If I cut the drop links off, where can I source some immediately? Track day Monday so this isn't great...!

Edit: Can I run without the roll bar?

Call the midlife!

Droplinks are fairly easily available if you're replacing them but you're probably best to grip the thread behind the nut with some narrow, vice grips to be able to turn the nut.
They're generally a nylock so don't slacken off until the end.
60% of the time it works everytime...

MrChris

I've had to cut them off... If I can't get any is it possible to run without the sway bar?

Topdownman

Quote from: MrChris on September 22, 2022, 13:53I've had to cut them off... If I can't get any is it possible to run without the sway bar?

If you manage to get hold of him in time for todays collection, TCB would probably deliver tomorrow.

http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/suspension.htm#Mr2(Suspension)
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Joesson

@Mr Chris
I have the two OE ones that I replaced at 66k from my 2.
I am midway between Evesham and Stratford upon Avon.
Yours for the collection

MrChris

Quote from: Topdownman on September 22, 2022, 14:08If you manage to get hold of him in time for todays collection, TCB would probably deliver tomorrow.

http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/suspension.htm#Mr2(Suspension)

Forgot about TCB, great shout. 2 on the way, hopefully here tomorrow although their cut off was 2pm.

Quote from: Joesson on September 22, 2022, 14:12@Mr Chris
I have the two OE ones that I replaced at 66k from my 2.
I am midway between Evesham and Stratford upon Avon.
Yours for the collection

Really appreciate the offer but just won't be able to drive there and back given how little time I've got over the next few days before my track day (got visitors coming).

---

If the worst happens and the drop links don't arrive in time, is it a big no-no to drive without the ARB attached? I've seen posts on this forum where people have not run an ARB but have coilovers (I'm running BC coilovers).

Call the midlife!

It won't do any harm to run without it but you'll potentially spend a lot more time going sideways or backwards 😃
60% of the time it works everytime...

MrChris

Quote from: Call the midlife! on September 22, 2022, 14:51It won't do any harm to run without it but you'll potentially spend a lot more time going sideways or backwards 😃

Yikes, will have to be careful then if the droplinks don't turn up!

Well both springs are on each side. Final problem is one of the three nuts for one of the strut plates/towers has threaded itself so I need to source another one quickly. This car fights me every step of the way...

Topdownman

Quote from: Call the midlife! on September 22, 2022, 14:51It won't do any harm to run without it but you'll potentially spend a lot more time going sideways or backwards 😃

That sounds like a good excuse for your first track day in it!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Tags: