Blitz Supercharger

Started by kanujunkie, May 26, 2005, 15:37

kanujunkie

i've just got back from option motorsports up at Silverstone and whilst i was there Ki-Ki let slip that Blitz are going to be releasing a supercharger for the MR-S, anyone else heard this??
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Slacey

First I've heard of it, will be interesting to see though.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

kanujunkie

likewise, didn't think it was viable due to the engine config, but if they do bring one out then you boys can keep your turbo's i'm after one of those babies  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

MR-S Turbo

Hmmm who is gonna be the first with a twin charged MR-S then.
TRD 2000GT - 500BHP ish

kanujunkie

i've sent an e-mail off to Blitz-UK asking about it, just need to wait and see what i hear now
[size=100]Stu[/size]

spynish

Hi!

Any answer???

kanujunkie

Quote from: "spynish"Hi!

Any answer???

sorry, forgot to post

the answer was no, it was just a rumour  s:( :( s:(  

shame
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"the answer was no, it was just a rumour  s:( :( s:(  

shame

Bugger  s:( :( s:(

kanujunkie

mind you, they've produce a supercharger for the 2zz, i wonder if it could be made to fit the 1zz??
[size=100]Stu[/size]

SteveJ

TBH, I've lost count of how many times Blitz / TTE / TRD have been on the verge of producing a supercharger for the roadster.

Whilst it is possible (using transfer belts) to fit an SC to the '2, the length of the belts and hoses required means the parasitic losses make it a complete no-brainer - fit a turbo instead - with the current crop of light-weight turbo's, lag is practically non-existant which was the only major benefit of an SC

This of course assumes you dont want to go the major headache of cutting the firewall

With regards to an SC for the 2ZZ, there are allready several kits to fit the 1ZZ (Yaris / Corolla etc) but the intake ports are too close to the firewall to allow them to fit the roadster.

Tem

Quote from: "SteveJ"fit a turbo instead - with the current crop of light-weight turbo's, lag is practically non-existant which was the only major benefit of an SC

I really hate the fact that a turboed engine seems dead till some 2000rpm  s:? :? s:?  (or even more with some setups)

Personally, I'd love to have a SC...maybe one day  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

not forgetting the "whine" from an SC

BenF

Quote from: "stevewarbs"not forgetting the "whine" from an SC

You could always just drive everywhere in reverse  s;) ;) s;)

But seriously, SCs are nice, but they're fundamentally less efficent than the turbo.

eg. output temps from the Supercharger on the Mk1 MR2 can reach a scary 200C which isn't good for detonation, and will heat soak an air to air intercooler very quickly.

As for lag - the 3S-GTE in the Mk2 has to be one of be better/best engines out there - there is no noticeable lag, especially the earlier 90-93 cars.

My PE Turbo'd Roadster has a very small amount of lag if the engine is below 2000rpms, but picks up very quickly. Above 3,000 rpms (which is where you're driving it out of town) there is no lag.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

kanujunkie

is there no way of getting this in?

picture is of our engine, supercharged in the corolla

[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

look where the oil cap is, the engine is upside down compared to ours.

now go look howmuch room you have between the firewall and the block.

Will it fit?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie"is there no way of getting this in?

You can fit anything to anything.. but you'd probably lose the soft top in the process - since (going by memory and the size of that intake), you'd have to slice out the majority of the firewall, shift it forward a good few inches and then fab a new firewall there..

I'm with Ben et al and of the opinion that SCs have, really, seen their day..

For a start - with an SC, you're sucking engine power to drive the compressor (extra parasitic drag), with a turbo you're using already wasted energy in the exhaust gas to power the turbine.. (Ok, not quite as simple as that, since putting the turbo in the exhaust flow will have a detrimental effect on exhaust gas velocity etc, but..).

And on the lag side - well, make sure you're in the right gear then  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  After all, if you stamp on the accellerator at 1500rpm in our cars, not a lot happens until you're over 3500rpm anyway (discounting 1st gear)..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "markiii"look where the oil cap is, the engine is upside down compared to ours.

now go look how much room you have between the firewall and the block.

Will it fit?

i'd realised that Mark!, but now you look at where the alternator is, it doesn't seem to stick out further than the s/c and for that reason i was wondering more about this, i will granted admit that it may not due to the angle of the photo makeing the SC actually be further away from the edge of the engine and thus not fitting in our engine bay, i'll go out soon though and have a look anyway at the bay anyway
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

Having said all that - if you really, really want to make one fit.. go for it  s;) ;) s;)

Probably cost a whole hill of money though - being the first to do anything always does  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "aaronjb"Having said all that - if you really, really want to make one fit.. go for it  s;) ;) s;)

where theres a will theres a way, if i get enough OT this year i may go for it, until then though, finances say no to this idea  s:( :( s:(  would be nice to do though.
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"I'm with Ben et al and of the opinion that SCs have, really, seen their day..

Someone best tell Jaguar, Mercedes and BMW  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

Quote from: "stevewarbs"
Quote from: "aaronjb"I'm with Ben et al and of the opinion that SCs have, really, seen their day..

And Land Rover

Anonymous

And Land Rover

I forgot Aston Martin.

Seriously, though, superchargers are a completely different animal to a turbo and both have advantages and disadvantages. Given the room I would always prefer to go SC but in the 2 I am likely to go the turbo route when swmbo says it is OK

SteveJ

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "markiii"look where the oil cap is, the engine is upside down compared to ours.

now go look how much room you have between the firewall and the block.

Will it fit?

i'd realised that Mark!, but now you look at where the alternator is, it doesn't seem to stick out further than the s/c and for that reason i was wondering more about this, i will granted admit that it may not due to the angle of the photo makeing the SC actually be further away from the edge of the engine and thus not fitting in our engine bay, i'll go out soon though and have a look anyway at the bay anyway

But now look at the '2s engine bay - there is a large overhang that goes straight through where the SC sits - this is where the hood goes when closed so you are left with 2 choices - a hood that you can never close, or no hood at all. The alternator sits much lower down the engine and hence clears the hood area.

Peter Wright

Now this is what a Supercharger is   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
 m http://www.spiralmax.com/ m
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

SteveJ

Oh - and that picture doesnt show most of the pipe work that is required to route the air from the SC to the engine (there is quite a large part of the manifold missing from the bottom of the picture).

Having spent quite a bit of time looking at an SC Corolla at Essen a couple of years ago, there is no way it is going to fit without MAJOR surgery

Tags: