Not starting

Started by Asura, March 14, 2023, 00:21

Asura

Hi, my MR2 doesnt seem to start. First time I tried, it cranked but didnt start now the second/third time, it makes a "buzzing noise".

I dont suspect it to be the battery since all the lights etc work and the central locking system is intact.

I suspect this could be due to my main key breaking with the metal side off and somehow messed around with the immobiliser.

Any idea guys?

Gaz mr-s

When you're turning it over & hearing the 'buzzing' noise (assuming that's when you mean) are the dash lights doing anything weird?  If so, battery is low.  Starting the car needs a lot more juice than lights, etc.  A healthy charged battery should be around 12.5V.

MrChris

Does sound like the battery to me. See if you can jump start it from another car.

Topdownman

Yep, I agree that the first step should be to check the voltage of the battery.

Also worth taking off the battery terminals and cleaning them and the posts with some sandpaper as oxidation can be enough to stop the car starting but leave the lights working.

Have you got a spare key to try?

Is the key you have complete with the transponder still?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Asura

I checked yesterday and I definitely think its the battery going flat, so will have to replace this, tested some of the electrical and they were really sluggish.

Tags: