Brake hoses

Started by Craigjm, April 17, 2023, 10:01

Craigjm

I am about to do a major job on my brakes. Plan is to have the calipers refurbed and professionally painted, going for Ford imperial blue and the have toyota on them in white if we can fit that on. New Pagid pads and discs all round and I was going to change the brake hoses. Any forum agreement on which ones to go for? Ive see BF Goodrich braided hoses and also stuff like Hel performance hoses from the likes of Megillan motorsport. What would you guys suggest?

Joesson

@Craigjm
When I did my brake refurb I decided on aftermarket rubber, but what ever you do decide consider that the mid point fixing  on some of the braided hoses has been found to be not quite correct for our cars.

Craigjm

Thanks

These are the ones that I am looking at. I see I can buy them direct from HEL rather than go through Magellen Motorsport. The make them themselves so I would expect them to fit. Would be interesting to know what brands had the issues. I cant find anything on the search here

Carolyn

Quote from: Craigjm on April 17, 2023, 11:22Thanks

These are the ones that I am looking at. I see I can buy them direct from HEL rather than go through Magellen Motorsport. The make them themselves so I would expect them to fit. Would be interesting to know what brands had the issues. I cant find anything on the search here

You would expect them to fit, wouldn't you?  But there have been quite a few reports of them not fitting properly.  This WAS a while ago - so maybe they're better now. ;D
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Topdownman

The Hel ones used to need some U-shaped metal clips that meant you could attach them to the shock mount. At the time they were about £1 for 4 but this was some years ago.

If you buy from Hel, I would ask them if they fit first because you have heard they used to need additional clips. Hopefully they can re-assure you!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

105e

I recently fitted the HEL ones, all four.  the standard fixed metal mounting on original hoses is replaced with a sliding plastic mounting which is held in place with some plastic clips, which didnt originally impress me but after fitting they seem fine..

Ardent

If the lines need changing.
How about new OEM?

I have HEL lines. I cannot see them when the wheels are on. Cannot tell any difference to the OEM they replaced.

Might have some benefit if you track, but for road use not convinced.

Alex Knight

Quote from: Ardent on April 18, 2023, 08:00If the lines need changing.
How about new OEM?

I have HEL lines. I cannot see them when the wheels are on. Cannot tell any difference to the OEM they replaced.

Might have some benefit if you track, but for road use not convinced.

Braided lines don't expand under extreme pressure the same way rubber ones do, thus giving a more consistent brake pedal.

I would only reccomened them for the track though - road users will see no benefit apart from increased longevity.

mr2garageswindon

Standard hoses are just fine unless a track monster car.
Clamping standard hoses to change calipers or troubleshoot problems a lot easier.
Braided more hassle than its worth imho.

Carolyn

Quote from: mr2garageswindon on April 18, 2023, 11:30Standard hoses are just fine unless a track monster car.
Clamping standard hoses to change calipers or troubleshoot problems a lot easier.
Braided more hassle than its worth imho.

Couldn't agree more!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

thetyrant

I might have a set of Hel braided hoses here i bought for my car but never fitted them, let me know if interested will dig them out :)
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Petrus

Quote from: Alex Knight on April 18, 2023, 08:49Braided lines don't expand under extreme pressure the same way rubber ones do, thus giving a more consistent brake pedal.

I fitted them on mine and the difference is marginal. Not worth any extra money hassle in my opinion too.

Ardent

Nice to see others share the view.

Craigjm

I was just thinking I would replace them while the calipers are off seeing as they have probably never been replaced in 18 years. Not really looking for increased performance just might as well do the job. I guess I could find out how much the standard ones are

Alex Knight

Quote from: Craigjm on April 21, 2023, 11:32I was just thinking I would replace them while the calipers are off seeing as they have probably never been replaced in 18 years. Not really looking for increased performance just might as well do the job. I guess I could find out how much the standard ones are

Preventative maintenance - I like it.

More people should be like you.

Craigjm

I spoke to hel and they told me if I wanted them to fit perfectly without modification to buy the Goodrich ones 🤣

Alex Knight

Quote from: Craigjm on April 21, 2023, 18:41I spoke to hel and they told me if I wanted them to fit perfectly without modification to buy the Goodrich ones 🤣

I went with Goodridge hoses. They fitted perfectly.

Craigjm

Tags: