Front shock absorbers

Started by Microgerry, April 19, 2023, 20:00

Microgerry

Removed my wheels today for a proper clean and a brake check. While they were off I noticed the rubber gaiters on the front shock absorbers had split badly. I realise they are probably there to keep the muck out but do these shocks need replacing?

Joesson

@Microgerry

That was one of the advisories  on my previous MOT (It passed today with no advisories).

All things considered I decided  to replace all four shocks (and the two front gaiters) and in doing so found that the rear gaiters were in very good condition.
My understanding is that while the gaiters protect against  road dirt adhering to the piston rods and becoming an abrasive paste they are not a safety critical item ( although when the piston rod wears / more likely the seals are damaged  because of the abrasive they will start to leak oil) so if you were to cut them off there would be nothing to " advise" on.

As for the shocks " needing replacing" mine had  66k on them, not a lot but they were 20 years old.
I did find that the new shocks ( KYB) offered  noticeably more resistance when I primed them than a similar "test" on the outgoing shocks.

Gaz mr-s

They're not required for an MOT, as said.  The fronts disintegrate far quicker than the rears. Whether the shocks need replaced is down to how you drive it & the feel it gives you.  I'm replacing at approx 60k...the car was a bit soggy for me.  Gaiters.... TCB.

Tags: