Front Brakes

Started by normanh, April 26, 2023, 18:21

normanh

Over the last few months I havent been that happy with the fronts performance they just seem to have lost their edge. So the logical thing is replace them - Halfords based on the rears and their low costs. So I ordered so Pagid pads and discs - total cost with free delivery £53.88. Now they have an offer on and the website says use the code CP10 and get an extra 10% off seemed a great but yet the discount never appeared. Need them pronto so I paid and thought I would give the Customer Service a ring, basically told tough you have paid we cant do any more what a rip off, but hey still mega cheap compared to Euro Carparts who actually suppy them via DHL.

The consequence of doing the brakes it looks like the offside fron shock is knackered and I have a slight weep on the nearside. So wheres the best places for quality at a good price components?

Last year I was going to replace the springs. My shopping list is as follows -

KYB Struts
KYB Top Mounts
Strut Gaiters/ Bumper Stops.

Might look at replacing the bolts in the clamps on the struts

Taking off - slacken the centre bolt before taking the weightn of the springs, Can the struts be removed without distrubing the droplinks? Take off complete unit  - 3 bolts on top plate. Assemble new struts and install. Last ones I did were on a Peugeot many moons back. Possible problem areas brake hose mounts and cable for ABS?

Norman

Have I missed anything?
Drop Links

Carolyn

yes the drop links aren't involved in the job.  Just undo the bracket for the cable. 
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

normanh

Cheers

Just ordered from Autodoc - hada good price on Bilstein shocks so included the top mounts and gaiters/stops both for £150

Norman

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: normanh on April 26, 2023, 19:31Cheers

Just ordered from Autodoc - hada good price on Bilstein shocks so included the top mounts and gaiters/stops both for £150

Norman

Never heard of Bilstein for a Mk3....?

Iain

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on April 26, 2023, 20:45Never heard of Bilstein for a Mk3....?
This puzzled me aswell...

A mk2 yes, but not mk3.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Iain on April 26, 2023, 21:05This puzzled me aswell...

A mk2 yes, but not mk3.
I looked on the site & no Bilstein for Mk3.  And two Bilstein plus bits for £150..... :o  ::)

normanh

Bilstein came up when I searched the site for shocks.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/bilstein/637509 is the link

Norman

tricky1138

Quote from: normanh on April 27, 2023, 09:38Bilstein came up when I searched the site for shocks.

Norman

When I go on that link they come up with shocks for VW/Seat.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

normanh

Somethings amiss here when it was originally checked it was ok, gone back to Autodoc for clarificiation very strange. Had issues last night making the order and for some reason it went in twice, I am cursed here!

Norman

Gaz mr-s

Choices for the Mk3 are very limited.  Cheapest source is usually ebay when there's a 20% off.  Then TCB I believe.

Joesson

Quote from: normanh on April 27, 2023, 09:38Bilstein came up when I searched the site for shocks.

Norman

Sorry to say but the devil is in the small print:
Sorry, this part is not suitable for your car. Please check a similar product for your car.

At the top of the page!

PS
I am aware that the Autodoc site did not work completely/ correctly for my iPad, when I contacted Autodoc they said to use my PC, it worked OK then.
I do know that their returns policy works , albeit it takes a little while.

PPS
A link for my car reg:
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/shock-absorber-10221/toyota/mr-2/mr-2-iii-zzw3/14535-1-8-16v-vt-i-zzw30?fromSearch=1#

I did buy some bushes from them but returned them to buy SuperPro from TCB
My  (4) KYB shocks I bought from Parts in Motion for about £300 in 2019! Currently about  £350.

normanh

Thanks Joesson

Not having much luck here getting parts never thought it would be so hard, Autodoc say the mount I selected is not compatible and suggested another but they have only one in stock dam. Can someone please tell me what I actually need for the top mount please? I cant get the rubber gaiters from Autodoc either they say none are suited to the care and they have the VIN number? I just want to get the parts at a reasonable price.

Not sure on Gas Shocks had bad experiences with these in the past - short life, I think oil last longer if I am correct.

Norman

J88TEO

Joesson

OPTIMAL AK-735303
I'm pretty sure that is what I got from Autodoc, but searching that number all the usual suppliers are out of stock.
As @J88TEO suggested TCB parts is you likely your best chance.

normanh

Looked at TCB but the prices phew?

What do I need with the top mounts - do these include a bearing I am just going around in circles here prices vary by nearly 100%.

Norman

Joesson

Quote from: normanh on April 27, 2023, 17:00Looked at TCB but the prices phew?

What do I need with the top mounts - do these include a bearing I am just going around in circles here prices vary by nearly 100%.

Norman

Try : for dust cover

https://www.spring-loaded.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Optimal%7E-%7EProtection%7EKits%7E-%7EBump%7EStops-Dust-Covers%7E-%7EAK-735303

Gaz mr-s

Norman

Do you use ebay?

Iain

Front top mounts have bearing in them, rears dont.

Not a fan of autodoc for these exact reasons.

As for the price on tcb, they'll be quality parts if not sometimes genuine, and that reflects in the price. My old favourite saying comes to mind, 'you get what you pay for'.

Joesson

#17 aside @normanh have you checked my link @0#15 to spring loaded, they are showing the dust covers and list top mounts but not sure what they have. Uk co with phone contact.

Ardent

Norman
Is a tricky one. Depending on the mileage and life they've had, they may be absolutely fine and not need replacing, you just can't tell until you're in there.
Maybe see who has a good returns policy first. Expensive purchase if not required, but a bugger if you need them and have to wait for them to turn up.

For what its worth, when I replaced my shocks at 99665 miles the top mounts where fine.

Iain

If your on a tight budget its worth contacting Andy @jspec. Im sure he will have some useable struts already built up and ready to bolt on.

normanh

To be honest its not just price its service, delivery and quality. I am totally brain dead now trying to shop around getting false steers. I have always looked at the one stop concept ensuring full compatibility of parts and thats just not happened here.

Well I have cancelled all previous orders with the supplier due to stocking and compatibility and gone with one supplier and with all luck said items are being delivered tomorrow. The prrice was higher than that expected but with what I have saved on front and rear brakes through the forum here thats more than covered the excess so thanks guys.

Not sure who will do the job as my mechanic son is tied up for a number of weeks now - weekdays and weekends are tight. I am more than capable but suffering from arthritis in knees/back and hands really limits my abilities these days. The cars off the road until the jobs done now and I miss it.

Norman

Ardent

A classic, like, sad (unlike), like type post.

You will get there. I have no doubt.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: normanh on April 27, 2023, 18:43To be honest its not just price its service, delivery and quality. I am totally brain dead now trying to shop around getting false steers. I have always looked at the one stop concept ensuring full compatibility of parts and thats just not happened here.

Well I have cancelled all previous orders with the supplier due to stocking and compatibility and gone with one supplier and with all luck said items are being delivered tomorrow. The prrice was higher than that expected but with what I have saved on front and rear brakes through the forum here thats more than covered the excess so thanks guys.

Not sure who will do the job as my mechanic son is tied up for a number of weeks now - weekdays and weekends are tight. I am more than capable but suffering from arthritis in knees/back and hands really limits my abilities these days. The cars off the road until the jobs done now and I miss it.

Norman

I feel your pain and hopefully you will get sorted.
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

normanh

Sh-t happens it continues Parcelforce promised delivery today Friday 28th in SMS and email, waited in until 19-10 tonight no delivery. Tracking hasnt altered since 08-42 today, they have blocked delivery requests for 2nd May unless its planned and I have no idea where the parcel is now so its likely I'll have to waste 2 days on top of the wasted Friday waiting in. They really need to get a grip and either deliver as promised or give at least a realistic date.

I was looking to attempt to fit the worst one on Wednesday if I have a fair day with the arthritis - ie warmer weather.

Autodoc dont seem to want to reply to confirm my order has been cancelled and refunded due to their ability not to supply the full 3 items I wanted, more phone calls planned for Tuesday grrr.

Norman

Tags: