Front wishbone / a-arm removal

Started by MrChris, May 8, 2023, 16:54

MrChris

Posting this here as it's own topic as I feel it warrants it...

How do you remove the castle nut on top of the ball joint on the front wishbone / a-arm?

I've tried trying to stop the ball joint spinning by using mole grips, tilting it etc. I've had my impact wrench on it too. I've looked on Google/YouTube for inspiration but nothing seems to work.

Call the midlife!

Pressure under the joint with a trolley jack usually works for me but it's more for tightening the nut than undoing it.
Normally there's enough friction from the taper joint to allow you to undo the nut before breaking the joint.
60% of the time it works everytime...

MrChris

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May  8, 2023, 17:09Pressure under the joint with a trolley jack usually works for me but it's more for tightening the nut than undoing it.
Normally there's enough friction from the taper joint to allow you to undo the nut before breaking the joint.

I'll try and apply more pressure underneath next time I'm out, if it ever stops bloody raining. Thanks.

Call the midlife!

Just put a small block of wood or similar on the jack so you're applying pressure to the right place, rather than the arm itself.
60% of the time it works everytime...

MrChris

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May  8, 2023, 18:06Just put a small block of wood or similar on the jack so you're applying pressure to the right place, rather than the arm itself.

I've been trying this and it just isn't working. I have started cutting the bugger off, this is also taking a while ..

If anyone's got tips for cutting difficult to reach bolts I'm all ears btw. I'm currently using a metal cutting blade with a Dremel but have already worn down two blades. It's incredibly tough nut/bolt.

MrChris

Update: the arm is off. The Dremel worked a treat though I'm down several cutting blades. Had to cut through the ball joint nut and the nut for the drop link.

mr2garageswindon

Quote from: MrChris on May 10, 2023, 20:42Update: the arm is off. The Dremel worked a treat though I'm down several cutting blades. Had to cut through the ball joint nut and the nut for the drop link.

Welcome to the world of fun..
Should have read the Haynes manual... simply remove..
we encounter these sorts of problems frequently even on newer cars.
At least you were doing your own and didn't have to explain to the customer why its gonna be more expensive than original quote!

Well done for sorting it.

MrChris

Quote from: mr2garageswindon on May 11, 2023, 09:23Welcome to the world of fun..
Should have read the Haynes manual... simply remove..
we encounter these sorts of problems frequently even on newer cars.
At least you were doing your own and didn't have to explain to the customer why its gonna be more expensive than original quote!

Well done for sorting it.

Glad to know it's not just me then  :))

I may not have to explain to customers but I do have to explain to my wife why the car is still up on jack stands ;) She is very understanding in fairness!

MrChris

Hi all, me again  :'(

After the relative success of my passenger side arm I have moved on to the driver's side.

I started with the ball joint and cut that MF off. All bolts came off successfully expect for the horizontal bolt which is fully stuck. I have cut the nut off but the bolt still doesn't budge. I'm now worried that if I cut the other end off that I'm going to be left completely stuck.

Any advice welcomed as usual!

Carolyn

If you can get a hefty bolt or punch on the cut end of the bolt, try to give it a smack or two with a heavy hammer, if it moves, however little, then smack it back the other way.  As a gap appears underneath the bolt head, get the Plus-gas on it and keep working if back and forth. Eventually it will come out. 

If you can't shift it, you then take a cutting disc (angle grinder) to the a-arm and cut it away, so you can cut into the part of it around the bush.  This is a real pain, I know, 'cos I've done it.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

MrChris

As ever, thank you @Carolyn and it makes logical sense. I will update tomorrow!

MrChris

Argh definitely having a love/hate relationship with this car right now. I've tried what you you suggested @Carolyn but can achieve no lateral movement of the bolt. Video below is where I'm at, don't know if it's time to cut the other end off?

As you can see the bolt is rotating with the arm moving so maybe I'm getting closer?

Carolyn

Ah, I thought when you said you'd cut the nut off, you had cut through the bolt! Unfortunately it's seized in the bush, which is standard, I'm afraid.

You might as well cut the bolt, at that end, flush with the bracket and then take a lump hammer and punch to it.   As you aren't going to be worried about hurting the bush, you can also try putting heat to it, but when I did that, it didn't help.  If it won't shift, it's  time to get drastic and cut the a-arm off as close to the bush as possible and then cut into the bush with a cutting disc on an angle grinder.  Taking care not to damage the bracket.

It's tricky and you just need to go slow.  It will work, I know, 'cos I've done it.

MrChris

Great thank you, I'll try the first bit but it sounds like it might be time to invest in an angle grinder.

Also good to know that this is standard. I was starting to lose faith with the car. But I shall persevere.

Carolyn

Quote from: MrChris on May 14, 2023, 17:55Great thank you, I'll try the first bit but it sounds like it might be time to invest in an angle grinder.

Also good to know that this is standard. I was starting to lose faith with the car. But I shall persevere.

I can't imagine life with no angle grinders.

MrChris

Quote from: Carolyn on May 14, 2023, 18:51I can't imagine life with no angle grinders.

I'm sure I'll be there soon  ;D any recommendations on size/power for working on the 2?

Joesson

I can empathise with you, on my car one vertical bolt was well corroded in and the opposite side was easier and on the others side the horizontal bolt was the problem. @Carolyn encouraged me in my endeavours and I did get both sides off without resorting to heat or cutting but with much WD40 because that is what I had, and many  blows with a club hammer.
If you have  cut the nut / bolt off flush with the bracket you will need a punch and hammer. But as you will likely need replacements whacking each end of the bolt is easier than using a punch. Once the bolt end is inside the Bush that will help keep the punch in position.
Unusually it is the bolt head that needs to be rotated to release the special
"toothed"  locking nut and similarly when reinstalling after hand tightening the nut bolt assembly tighten the bolt head.
NB I did this with the suspension under load.
As said,  likely need replacement bolts/ nuts, I found TCB to be the best source.

Carolyn

Quote from: MrChris on May 14, 2023, 18:55I'm sure I'll be there soon  ;D any recommendations on size/power for working on the 2?

Just any bog standard angle grinder (115mm, 41/2").  No point getting an expensive one, as a cheapo will last years!  Get a ten pack of cutting disks.  Gloves, eye protection a must.

MrChris

Quote from: Carolyn on May 14, 2023, 19:11Just any bog standard angle grinder (115mm, 41/2").  No point getting an expensive one, as a cheapo will last years!  Get a ten pack of cutting disks.  Gloves, eye protection a must.

Thank you, picking one up tomorrow from Toolstation. Had another crack at it this evening and it's definitely well and truly rusted/fused to the bush. I now have both ends cut off and no amount of PlusGas and hammering will budge the bolt, in fact you can see the whole bush move slightly when you hit it. Also, if I grab the bolt with mole grips on one side and try and move it, it just moves the bush/wishbone. Seems crazy to me that it does this. I will be very, very glad to finally have this off.

MrChris

This is turning into a weekly blog...  ;D

The angle grinder worked a treat which allowed me to nibble at the bolt and then pull the rest of the arm out.

Clearly I didn't check both of the new arms and it turns out I've been sent two for the drivers side... Ffs! I've contacted the company so fingers crossed they resolve it quickly.

Carolyn

Pity about the wrong part, BUT...

Bloody well done! 

You persevered, got stuck in and you were victorious.

Do a wire brush, rust treatment and paint on that bracket while you've got it exposed.

Aren't angle grinders handy eh?

Joesson

@MrChris
I "Like" that you succeeded in getting the offending article off of the car.
Not much to "Like" about being sent the wrong part though!
I have mentioned on here previously that the best tool in the toolbox is perseverance.

Tags: