Whats involved in removing the door mirror?

Started by normanh, May 15, 2023, 16:47

normanh

I need to touch up the paint on one of my mirrors so how is it secured?

Remove door card, surround to lever, speaker cables I understand that.
I assume there is a simple cable socket arrangement for the mirror electrics?
How is the mount secured through the door skin to the mirror?
Have I missed anything?

Norman

Call the midlife!

It comes off as a full unit, mount and mirror, just the two fastenings through the skin.
60% of the time it works everytime...

MrChris

I've just done this, 2 nuts need removing with a 10mm socket and the unit slides up and out. Accessible after door card is removed. It is fairly clear looking at it. I seem to remember the cable just disconnects.

normanh

Thanks guys, I just like to have this sort of info available beforehand. I assume a 1/4 inch drive is adequate to remove the nuts?

Norman

Joesson

@normanh

I've not had reason to remove the mirrors but my 10mm socket is typically on a 1/4 inch drive and my favoured wrench at that size is a very short SnapOn as the core diameter of something requiring a 10mm socket will not resist much else.
As always, something that has been tight for 20 years or so would likely benefit from a drop of easing juice.

andyroo104

Normally easy to remove with a smaller socket wrench and windows down for easier access.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

andyroo104

MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

normanh

TheTigerUK

Make sure when you refit the mirror you route the cable correctly or else it fouls the window glass.

Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Tags: