trd flywheel

Started by ale_rx, May 18, 2023, 08:56

ale_rx

hi folks
while i'm sourcing and waiting for parts to arrive for my 2zz swap i found this trd lightened flywheel locally from a guy that totalled his car.

yesterday evening i unbolted mine and weighs roughly 6,2kgs
the trd one weighs 4,4kgs so it's a lot lighter.

so here's the question, is it worth it? should i keep the stock one?

btw guy ask around 150 euros, hope i can get it at 120
i plan to use my 2zz mostly on mountain roads with only a few trackdays

here's my blue frog

Carolyn

A lighter flywheel has pluses and minuses.

On the plus side, the engine will spin up faster.

On the minus side the engine has less torque at idle/low rpm and you have to pick up more revs when you pull away.  You'll find yourself 'blipping' the throttle and slipping the clutch a lot in traffic.

I'm not a fan for everyday road use, but others will disagree.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Petrus

Pretty much as Carolyn observes.

I am on the ´go for it´ side in you case. It makes the car a lot more lively than shaving off those kgs anywhere else.  Especially in second and third the differnce in marked. You will notice it most on mountain twisties as on track you are keeping it mostly on the boil anyway.

JB21

I have a lightweight flywheel on my 2zz conversion and its great, I dont feel any of the above mentioned drawbacks on the road, its drives fine. Go for it!

ale_rx

it's a go then, i'll contact the guy then.. >:D  >:D

thank you all
here's my blue frog

JB21

Quote from: ale_rx on May 18, 2023, 10:07it's a go then, i'll contact the guy then.. >:D  >:D

thank you all

This is the one I have at a very similar weight to the TRD one.

https://id-workz.co.uk/products/competition-clutch-ultra-lightweight-flywheel-toyota-celica-2zz-ge-zzt231

Make sure you get some ARP flywheel bolts to mate it to the engine, these can be re-used unlike the OE Toyota bolts.

ale_rx

Quote from: JB21 on May 18, 2023, 10:13This is the one I have at a very similar weight to the TRD one.

https://id-workz.co.uk/products/competition-clutch-ultra-lightweight-flywheel-toyota-celica-2zz-ge-zzt231

Make sure you get some ARP flywheel bolts to mate it to the engine, these can be re-used unlike the OE Toyota bolts.

man 330£ makes the trd one loke so goood :)

as for the bolts, i was gonna ask since i've read so much about reusing/not reusing the flywheel bolts.
basically i read that oe bolts ""cant be reused"" since they're pre coated with thread locker, i also read that people clean them and then reapply thread locker and usem them again so cant actually tell what will do
here's my blue frog

JB21

Quote from: ale_rx on May 18, 2023, 10:32man 330£ makes the trd one loke so goood :)

as for the bolts, i was gonna ask since i've read so much about reusing/not reusing the flywheel bolts.
basically i read that oe bolts ""cant be reused"" since they're pre coated with thread locker, i also read that people clean them and then reapply thread locker and usem them again so cant actually tell what will do

OE bolts are stretch bolts and 100% SHOULD NOT be re-used.

jvanzyl

Definitely go for it - it's one of my best mods.

Alex Knight

I've had the lightest available 2ZZ flywheel in my car since 2017, and I honestly haven't experienced any drawbacks at all, ever.

Here is the one I have.

I normally agree with almost everything @Carolyn says, she is the font of all MR2 knowledge, but on this occasion I would have to respectfully disagree.

Carolyn

Quote from: Alex Knight on May 18, 2023, 19:29I've had the lightest available 2ZZ flywheel in my car since 2017, and I honestly haven't experienced any drawbacks at all, ever.

Here is the one I have.

I normally agree with almost everything @Carolyn says, she is the font of all MR2 knowledge, but on this occasion I would have to respectfully disagree.

I did say, 'some will disagree'.  I reckon it's down to your driving style.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

mr2garageswindon

I recently fitted a lightened flywheel on an MX5 hill climb car, the customer loves the difference it makes when racing but has said it is harder to drive in stop start traffic.
I found I needed to keep blipping the throttle and slipping the clutch.
Unless you plan to spend lots of time in traffic its well worth doing.

The Other Stu

Have the Eliseparts one in mine.
https://www.eliseparts.com/shop/gearbox-drivetrain/lotus-2zz-lightweight-flywheel/

Again, don't have any trouble in traffic, although I do my best to avoid it. I don't disagree with Carolyn. Driving style with a 2zz is different. To get the most out of it, you'll want to be driving it at the extreme edges.

Certainly 0-4k rpm I find little difference between a regular 1zz and a 2zz. Once you hit 6k, the party begins!
No Longer Here

Petrus

Quote from: Carolyn on May 19, 2023, 09:30I did say, 'some will disagree'.  I reckon it's down to your driving style.

It´s not even rocket science  ;)   Less flywheel mass equals less flywheel effect equals easier to stall the engine.

I think the matter is a bit clouded by the 2ZZ being driven differently than the 1ZZ. The rev range of the former is very much larger so revving it slightly more upon take offs comes natural.

My 1ZZ has the automatic clutch which is ´foot perfect´ and thus why I went for the lightweight flywheel. Otherwise I would not have despite véry little stop´n go traffic.
The OP has a 2ZZ many used for mountain twisties and little stop´n go.

Nevertheless the potential down side is real.

Alex Knight

I don't agree with the above sentiment on drive take-up.

I have driven:

1ZZ with stock flywheel
2ZZ with stock flywheel
2ZZ with Fidanza flywheel

Therefore I feel I am more qualified than most to comment:

I can pull away from little over idle in my 2ZZ, with no issues at all, just as I could in 1ZZ and 2ZZ with stock flywheel.

There are zero downsides in my experience.

Mark A

It is a yes from me.

I'm using a CC super light flywheel and don't feel any draw backs, I also used 1ZZ with standard and Fidanza flywheel.

Petrus

Quote from: Alex Knight on May 19, 2023, 11:57I don't agree with the above sentiment on drive take-up.

Attaboy, them darned engineers are ALL wrong :))

Alex Knight

Quote from: Petrus on May 19, 2023, 13:50Attaboy, them darned engineers are ALL wrong :))

Nope, just you.

Petrus

Quote from: Alex Knight on May 19, 2023, 14:21Nope, just you.

Not sure if you actually réad what I wrote but regardless, glad it makes you happy then.

The Other Stu

Quote from: Petrus on May 19, 2023, 14:53Not sure if you actually réad what I wrote but regardless, glad it makes you happy then.

You do appear to have a great knack of annoying others.
No Longer Here

Dev

Here is my take.
 I have test driven the same kinds of set ups as Alex including
 3 1ZZ with a chromoly flywheel.
 2 with a aluminum flywheel 1ZZ
 1 with the aluminum flywheel 2ZZ with an upgraded clutch.
 And of course mine with the OEM flywheel.

For the 1ZZ I never felt a difference with the lightened flywheel. It wasn't positive or negative but it did not make much of a difference to me. Maybe if it was my car I would appreciate it more.
 For the 2ZZ I felt it spin up faster and I could certainly say it made a difference over mine.

In all cases I did not feel any drawbacks when starting out or driving up hills but I also did not really feel its benefits either except for the 2ZZ.

However there is one area I felt where I prefer the OEM and that is with my grabby Kevlar clutch. Every time I shift and reengage the clutch the car feels more of a jerk but in a good way like the car is more powerful.I did not feel this with the 2ZZ with the flywheel and upgraded clutch as that was lacking a bit probably because the momentum is not as strong.

Tags: