Heat shield spacer, are these available to buy ?

Started by TheTigerUK, May 21, 2023, 18:51

TheTigerUK

The top engine heat shield has two of these spacers are they built into the shield or can new ones be bought ?
Thanks

Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Ardent

That material is used in the cat heat sheilds.
They are fixed in place. Integral to the shield.

Doubt available to replace.

Joesson

I had to think what these are. Now I realise I can't answer the question, mine remain in place.
TCB may be a good place to ask for a new component if available, but I do doubt that they are.
I would think that trying to remove that from a used shield will result in what you have in two pieces.
I suggest that the steel mesh is to allow a small amount of give in the fixing to the manifold.
That being the case I further suggest that the solid part is something that could be turned by someone with the knowledge and wherewithal.
The mesh could be substituted for a single / double coil  or serrated washer /s as necessary.
Tightening would be a matter of judgement to not fully compress the springs/ serrations to allow some movement. Perhaps tightened when hot, when cool there would then be a relaxation of tension.
PS
Thinking again, I would not tighten when hot, I would nip up when cold, not fully compressing the washer/s and check after a run that the screw head is still in contact with the washer/s and adjust or not accordingly.

Joesson

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Joesson on May 22, 2023, 22:25@TheTigerUK
Any progress?

I fitted the shield back using some washers I had in stock without problem, I might even turn a couple up in brass or aluminium the next time I visit that area, but not found the originals which I imagine are part of the heat shield.

TheTigerUK

I received a pair of these sensor plugs today, I was very careful when I had the sensors out as I dident want to drop anything into the cats so next time I have the sensors out I will plug the holes with these to eliminate the risk.

TheTigerUK

I had a little time today (love retirement :) ) and took the space apart, there are four pieces, #1 with #2 sitting on #1, #1 with #2 pushed through the heat shield, #3 placed on to #1 that is sticking out of the heat shield and #4 pressed onto #1 so it could possibly be an obscure part ?

I might make a couple of # 1s and reuse 2 & 3 and perhaps make a couple of #4s or just use a washer.

ps: See what I mean about retirement and time on our hands :)

Tags: