Alternative Power Steering Pump

Started by moca2cv, June 13, 2023, 23:03

moca2cv

Has anyone used an alternative power steering pump? Looking at the Astra one (same unit as the Bosch motorsport one) as mine seems to bog down on opposite lock making it tricky handling oversteer. It has fluid, but I'll be flushing that to see if things improve, but given the Bosch ones are buttons thought I'd look into it...

jvanzyl

Have you considered getting yours refurbished?

moca2cv

Quote from: jvanzyl on June 14, 2023, 00:25Have you considered getting yours refurbished?
The cost involved is m fairly high compared to another (admittedly unknown) pump from eBay. You can pick up the Vauxhall units for ~£50. So I thought I'd give it a go :)

Alex Knight

I've had no issues with mine applying a dab (or more) of oppo.

Would suggest you need to do some maintenance, not replacement.

Carolyn

In addition to the above; making a different pump work with the car's electrics would be a real pain.  I'm sure it probably could be done, but the ECU wants to see and interact with a Toyota pump.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

moca2cv

Thanks all.

Quote from: Carolyn on June 17, 2023, 19:16In addition to the above; making a different pump work with the car's electrics would be a real pain.  I'm sure it probably could be done, but the ECU wants to see and interact with a Toyota pump.

Does the ECU do anything to the PS pump (speed related pumping?) or would it just show a CEL?

moca2cv

Started with fluid. Will test at Llandow on Saturday. As the pipes are looking past their best I think it'll be time for a little overhaul though...

Tags: