Going hybrid

Started by Petrus, June 22, 2023, 15:31

Petrus

Read on Spyderchat that the Prius XW20 brake calipers fit on the MR2. Being aluminium they are 1 kg each lighter and should dissipate heat a lot better and the Prius being some 30% heavier would make the calipers strong enough.
The piston diameter should not be an issue either.

If this pans out it would be perfect for me as painted red it would be an undetectable mod.

Has anyone here tried this?

Apart from a great kilo unsprung weight per wheel deleted, it would tickle me pink to have hybrid car calipers fitted  O:-)

JB21

Front, rear or both? Got a link from Syderchat?

Petrus

JB21

Dev

I have been reading the thread. If this works it would be a big deal however with the larger piston it might take up more slack in the brake pedal but possibly not enough to notice. If it works it will a great upgrade for the money.

JB21

Quote from: Dev on June 22, 2023, 16:30I have been reading the thread. If this works it would be a big deal however with the larger piston it might take up more slack in the brake pedal but possibly not enough to notice. If it works it will a great upgrade for the money.

I'll give it ago, not sure if you'd need the prius brackets as well though. Will follow the thread as see how it progress.

Dev

Quote from: JB21 on June 22, 2023, 16:32I'll give it ago, not sure if you'd need the prius brackets as well though. Will follow the thread as see how it progress.

It's cheap enough to find out and that is appealing because I would not trust some random person on the internet just because it fits. One of the things I like about my Wilwood calipers is the reduction in the travel of the brake pedal which makes the pedal feel firm but also well modulated. 

Petrus

Quote from: JB21 on June 22, 2023, 16:32I'll give it ago, not sure if you'd need the prius brackets as well though. Will follow the thread as see how it progress.

I hópe not as that would make me feel uneasy about switching sides.

Will give the local parts source a holler too mañana.

JB21

Quote from: Dev on June 22, 2023, 16:41It's cheap enough to find out and that is appealing because I would not trust some random person on the internet just because it fits. One of the things I like about my Wilwood calipers is the reduction in the travel of the brake pedal which makes the pedal feel firm but also well modulated. 

Not looked but I bet there isn't an abundance of track pads available 😄

Petrus

Quote from: JB21 on June 22, 2023, 16:47Not looked but I bet there isn't an abundance of track pads available 😄

It is not exactly the same price range either  ;)

JB21

I can only find EBC greenstuff. Funny as the dimensions are similar to the MR2 front pad but they look slightly different in shape.

Prius pad:

MR2 pad:

@thetyrant could you make pads for the Prius backing plate?

Petrus

Quote from: JB21 on June 22, 2023, 17:21@thetyrant could you make pads for the Prius backing plate?

8)

steveash

It's an interesting idea but Prius brakes are intended to work with regenerative braking. I'm not sure what the implications of this are but one of the problems with running a hybrid or electric car is the corrosion of brake disks due to under use. I wonder how they'd hold up to use on a sports car where they'll be used a lot more and get a lot hotter.

Petrus

I will give it a try.
Have no doubt whatsoever that they will be more than up to it; the Prius being heavier and aluminium dissipating more heat.
The Prius is designed to seat 5 plus luggage. Our cabrio for 2 and their tooth brushes.

Just bought a set revised ones. Come with the Prius sliding brackets. Should be here for 77.95 incl. shipping.

Toes crossed too  ;D

Alex Knight

Would suggest changing the title of this thread to something a little more meaningful and relevant @Petrus

Would certainly help the search function.

Petrus

Nah, this is fun  8)

But don´t worry: Will make a new thread with pictures later. Sofar it is only a left field idea, not done and dusted yet.

Alex Knight

Quote from: Petrus on June 23, 2023, 07:34Nah, this is fun  8)

But don´t worry: Will make a new thread with pictures later. Sofar it is only a left field idea, not done and dusted yet.

Have you considered that the spurious title might stop people reading, and therefore contributing to this thread?

Those people may have information that we are not privy to.

Petrus

Meanwhile cýcled in line of Operación Tripa also past the local garage as the calipers will be delivered thére.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Alex Knight on June 23, 2023, 09:16Have you considered that the spurious title might stop people reading, and therefore contributing to this thread?

Those people may have information that we are not privy to.

Flogging... dead... horse.... But more power to you for trying.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Alex Knight

Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 23, 2023, 10:45Flogging... dead... horse.... But more power to you for trying.

😂

Petrus

Very apt btw. I have a website about horse training. Among other aspect, you get what you reward.

thetyrant

Quote from: JB21 on June 22, 2023, 17:21@thetyrant could you make pads for the Prius backing plate?

Just seen this sorry, yes I can make anything here :D
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Petrus on June 23, 2023, 11:02Very apt btw. I have a website about horse training. Among other aspect, you get what you reward.

I don't think you understand the meaning of the phrase I used in my comment to Alex, in the same way I don't understand what you saying here.
We'll leave it at that.
60% of the time it works everytime...

JB21

I see the update on this in Spyderchat is very positive, and you can actually use the MR2 brackets meaning you can use MR2 pads.

thetyrant

Quick check and seems Early Prius use same front pads as Mk3 MR2 anyhows :D
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Tags: