Prius XW20 aluminum front caliper upgrade for ZZW30

Started by JB21, July 12, 2023, 08:19

MrChris

Quote from: __CA__ on October  4, 2023, 15:05Just joined (first post!) to say thanks for posting this, I have just ordered from autodoc.  I love this kind of parts bin upgrade!

I bought a 1MZ-FE swapped MR2 (by Woodsport) earlier in the year, the front brakes are a slightly sticky and it pulls to the left, so this seems like a better option than refurbing the old ones.

Check (all) your suspension bolts. I had pulling to the left twice and both times it was down to suspension bolts needing torquing up.

Edit: Welcome!!

__CA__

Interesting, thank you... the suspension was all re-bushed about a year (but probably only 500 miles!) ago.

Ardent

Could be completely unrelated, but pay say  attention to subframe etc if recent work done.

bluesmoke

This is a great find. If you buy pattern parts, how do you know if they're also aluminium?

Joesson

Quote from: bluesmoke on October  9, 2023, 18:40This is a great find. If you buy pattern parts, how do you know if they're also aluminium?

High strength parts are typically steel, containing iron and therefore attracted to a magnet. These calipers  are cast from an aluminium alloy, such an alloy does not contain iron and won't be attracted to a magnet.

Joesson

Quote from: MrChris on October  4, 2023, 17:38Check (all) your suspension bolts. I had pulling to the left twice and both times it was down to suspension bolts needing torquing up.

Edit: Welcome!!
_CA_
I recall a report on here that the top shock absorber nut/s were found to have come loose. This was attributed to the flats on the top of the shock rod not having been engaged in the slot in the top mount. The top nut/s  somehow had been  tightened , perhaps with a rattle gun, but then working loose and causing noticeable  effect.

__CA__

Thanks for that tip as well, I'll take a look.

The calipers arrived from Autodoc today... WOW they're light! Now I just need to not do my usual and leave them in a box for 6 months... ;D

Petrus

Quote from: __CA__ on October  9, 2023, 21:40The calipers arrived from Autodoc today... WOW they're light!

and if you compare with the OEM one when you have it off....  :o  :o
And they even stop júst that bit better as a bonus with potential fading eliminated.

Ardent

Quote from: __CA__ on October  9, 2023, 21:40Thanks for that tip as well, I'll take a look.

The calipers arrived from Autodoc today... WOW they're light! Now I just need to not do my usual and leave them in a box for 6 months... ;D
Quite interested in what you ordered etc, and arrived. Costs if not to personal.

Been looking on ebay, but not having much luck.

Alex Knight

Quote from: Ardent on October 10, 2023, 17:06Quite interested in what you ordered etc, and arrived. Costs if not to personal.

Been looking on ebay, but not having much luck.

See post #6.

Ardent

Quote from: Alex Knight on October 10, 2023, 21:46See post #6.
Thank you.

Strange ole world. The Right one is £61 the left £48. I thought non handed so could but 2x left. That said as someone else pointed out having the bleed nipple at the top makes sense.
By the time phaffed about with ebay, cleaning up, rar rar rar, might just as well pull the trigger on autodoc and be done with it.

JB21

For additional info on these they are actually handed, they have L & R on each caliper but you fit them with the letter facing up, this should orientate the bleed nipple at the top. Also from Autodoc they come with the OE Phenolic (plastic) pistons. These will be absolutely fine for road, but for track I changed them out for steel pistons as I dont want to take a risk of them melting.

Petrus

as I observed earlier I simply assumed that the L and R would be in line with bleed nipples being up. Although common sense and thus in case of Japanese cars the way to go, still better to first lóók and thínk  ::)

About the pistons imo using steel ones for racing has two sides. For one it makes sense because of the heat involved but on the other hand they will expand considerably more. Also the calipers being aluminium they will dissipate heat at about double the rate the steel ones do ánd the pistons are ´liquid cooled´.
It being brakes and me being old school, I instinctively thínk steel being the safer bet on track but would try investigate a bit deeper as it very well may be reverse.

Anyway, on the road they are simply a literally cool mod. giving better braking. Again; it does not change the car; just makes it a little bit more enjoyable still. Imo  ;)
A3VT!

steveash

Has anyone looked at the 2003-9 Prius front knuckles? They are aluminium but otherwise look very like the MR2 ones.

Snelbaard

A bit out of left field, but I take it this wouldn't work on an AW11? Don't even know if the stock AW11 calipers are heavy in the first place but still.
Follow me on instagram for all my Spyder products @snelbaard

Petrus

Quote from: Snelbaard on November 24, 2023, 14:26A bit out of left field, but I take it this wouldn't work on an AW11? Don't even know if the stock AW11 calipers are heavy in the first place but still.

Stock is heavy iron and I know it is a mod on the AW11 too, not sure if it is without any modification.

Snelbaard

Quote from: Petrus on November 24, 2023, 15:01Stock is heavy iron and I know it is a mod on the AW11 too, not sure if it is without any modification.

Well, I don't mind getting my hands dirty a little bit :) And from your experiences, it seems like a very worthwhile upgrade so I'll certainly look into it more!
Follow me on instagram for all my Spyder products @snelbaard

Petrus

Quote from: Snelbaard on November 24, 2023, 15:27Well, I don't mind getting my hands dirty a little bit :) And from your experiences, it seems like a very worthwhile upgrade so I'll certainly look into it more!

Get a set from the breakers; they are cheap enough and you can always sell them on if you don´t like them. I sure do lóve them.

Ardent

Still surprised at how few there seem to be over here. Bay of e etc

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on November 24, 2023, 16:16Still surprised at how few there seem to be over here. Bay of e etc

Surprising indeed; over here they are thirteen a dozen.

The ZZW30 community is not jumping on it with gusto so that cannot be it  ;) 
In the States (spyderchat) there are so far none  :o  whereas it is an easy, cheap, serious improvement.

Slowpoke

I accidentally ordered two right handed calipers from AUTODOC (all sorted now, I possess a matching pair). If anyone is interested in a discounted LH prius caliper then email me @ leomarch666@gmail.com and we can arrange something
Yours sincerely, sprog with a frog.
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=74303.0

Petrus

Quote from: Slowpoke on November 27, 2023, 15:06I accidentally ordered two right handed calipers from AUTODOC (all sorted now, I possess a matching pair). If anyone is interested in a discounted LH prius caliper then email me leomarch666gmail.com and we can arrange something

@Ardent ?

Hammond

Will our standard discs and pads drop straight into these then or is that wishful thinking?
05' silver

Slowpoke

Quote from: Hammond on November 27, 2023, 21:04Will our standard discs and pads drop straight into these then or is that wishful thinking?

I would hope so as I've got some EBC discs and pads for the mr2 to go on with the prius calipers. If they're a straight swap I don't see why OEM sized parts wouldn't fit.
Yours sincerely, sprog with a frog.
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=74303.0

Petrus

Quote from: Hammond on November 27, 2023, 21:04Will our standard discs and pads drop straight into these

yes.

It´s a straight swap. No other mods needed.

Tags: