Aerial stuck up

Started by Smithy, August 22, 2023, 22:12

Smithy

Hi all, I did a search before asking about this but didn't get anything helpful. Aerial went up without radio being turned on, the motor engages when the car is turned on and off and the radio works. I just can't get the aerial to retract. Any ideas please.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

J88TEO

Most likely the relay is faulty.

fawtytoo

Or the nylon cord inside has snapped.

"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Smithy

Good evening all. Before I tackle removing the Ariel can anyone tell where the relay is for the Ariel?
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

J88TEO

Behind the driver, under the plastic of the lagguage compartment.

Smithy

03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

ruud2boy

I have a similar problem with mine. The aerial still goes up and down when the ignition is turned on and off, even without having a radio in the car!

Can anyone help w/ part number or similar for the possible faulty relay?

Joesson

Quote from: ruud2boy on February 28, 2024, 18:35I have a similar problem with mine. The aerial still goes up and down when the ignition is turned on and off, even without having a radio in the car!

Can anyone help w/ part number or similar for the possible faulty relay?

If you were to follow the "Use the passenger window switch for something else" guide that should stop the aerial moving.

https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=5453.0

J88TEO

I installed a switch across the blue wire and use that to control the aerial.

ruud2boy

Quote from: Joesson on February 28, 2024, 18:43If you were to follow the "Use the passenger window switch for something else" guide that should stop the aerial moving.
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=5453.0

Ah, good shout. I hadn't really twigged there were 2 different switches for the passenger window. How pointless is that!?

Joesson

Quote from: ruud2boy on March  1, 2024, 15:35Ah, good shout. I hadn't really twigged there were 2 different switches for the passenger window. How pointless is that!?

Dependent upon the passenger I guess:
One switch allows the passenger to raise or lower their window in the same way as the driver.
The other switch allows the driver to deactivate the passenger window control switch. This could be of some use in the case that the passenger declared suicidal intent and threatened to throw them self out of their window, which they would first need to lower.
In answer to your question, I believe the consensus is - rather pointless, except perhaps, in the above described, hopefully unlikely, circumstance.

Tags: