Stock PFL Sony headunit: can I add an aux input?

Started by inigopete, October 2, 2023, 12:34

inigopete

Hi, I've had a search on here and haven't been able to find what I was looking for.

I've got a 2001 PFL with the stock Sony head unit. By the sound of it, although there's an aux in socket, it's designed to work only with a compatible Sony CD multichanger.

Is there a cable or adaptor available to fool the unit into thinking a CD changer is attached, so I can just run a line in from a jack connection (iPod headphone out, for example) and hear it through the speakers?

It sounds like the Sony XA-300 "aux selector" is one option for this, although there aren't any currently on eBay and they seem to be like hens' teeth to find. Or one of those old-school cassette-with-a-cable adaptors, but I think it would look neater with a cable going into the back of the unit.

I'd appreciate any advice you could offer.

inigopete

May have found the answer to my own question: a Sony Unilink adapter, to make the head unit think a CD changer is attached.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B27YNP2D

Also about to order a RCA stereo to 3.5mm jack cable, which should allow me to plug into the iPod. :)

Topdownman

Could you not just get a modern aftermarket head unit? Presumably better sound quality and features and not that much more than the leads you would need to use the old h/u?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

inigopete

Thanks @barchetta_ms that looks like the one I've ordered! :)

@Topdownman that's another option but the sound on the original Sony unit is actually pretty good - I'm quite keen to keep the car as stock as possible so I'm making do without DAB for now and there's enough power in the stock headunit and speakers for my needs. My phone seems to be held quite nicely by the dashboard top compartment door when it's resting on top of it, so that's navigation sorted, and it's powered by a USB charger plugged into the cigarette lighter. :)

fawtytoo

I have a Stock Toyota unit from a Land Cruiser. The mounting points and rear connectors all fit. 6 CD changer with aux input and the fascia trim fits too. You might struggle finding one though.

Point is, that if you research, they were many stock Toyota head units across many models that are mostly interchangeable.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Ardent

Ardent

Quote from: inigopete on October  4, 2023, 10:50Thanks @barchetta_ms that looks like the one I've ordered! :)

@Topdownman that's another option but the sound on the original Sony unit is actually pretty good
The Sony unit is, sadly the fisher price unit that followed............

fawtytoo

Quote from: Ardent on October  8, 2023, 22:01Any pics or part numbers for that unit?
This is one I have for sale, but the CD player is faulty. However it gives an idea of what's possible with stock units.

fawtytoo

You'd need an aerial lead adapter, but otherwise would be good.

EDIT: I checked the part number for that and it fits a RAV 4, which means it'll fit the MR2 and the fascia trim should fit too.

Ardent

Maybe an idea for a compatible head unit thread.

fawtytoo

Joesson

Quote from: fawtytoo on October 11, 2023, 18:42Done.

My car came to me fitted with an Alpine head unit. I have read mention of such on here, iirc. Was this unit a dealer option or an after market choice by a previous owner?

fawtytoo

Quote from: Joesson on October 11, 2023, 18:55My car came to me fitted with an Alpine head unit. I have read mention of such on here, iirc. Was this unit a dealer option or an after market choice by a previous owner?
Do you still have it fitted?

Joesson

Quote from: fawtytoo on October 11, 2023, 19:12Do you still have it fitted?

I do, the only "work" I have done in that area is to fit a switch to stop the aerial from yo yoing.

fawtytoo

Quote from: Joesson on October 11, 2023, 19:20I do, the only "work" I have done in that area is to fit a switch to stop the aerial from yo yoing.
Would it be too much to see pix of it removed to show fittings, part numbers, etc? Or, at least, do you have a model number?

Joesson

Quote from: fawtytoo on October 11, 2023, 19:36Would it be too much to see pix of it removed to show fittings, part numbers, etc? Or, at least, do you have a model number?

I'm pretty sure the instruction booklet is in the glove box. I'll have a look tomorrow, it is in a surround that seems to fit well and provides a small storage area below the unit, I can photo that as well.

J88TEO

Joesson

Quote from: fawtytoo on October 11, 2023, 19:36Would it be too much to see pix of it removed to show fittings, part numbers, etc? Or, at least, do you have a model number?

Alpine CD receiver  CDE9872R

C/ w simple anti theft device!

Joesson

fawtytoo

Quote from: Joesson on October 12, 2023, 10:21Alpine CD receiver  CDE9872R
According to some Alpine product information, that unit dates back to 2008. And the newest MR2 Roadster would be 2006.
Alpine product information

inigopete

Answer: yes I can add an audio input.

Details here. :)

Tags: