Some 1ZZ Turbo questions...

Started by bluesmoke, October 9, 2023, 16:37

bluesmoke

I've just bought a dirt cheap FL car, and finally returned to MR2 Ownership! Since buying the car last week, I have already bought a universal turbo kit and a Malian turbo manifold.

I'm sure some of the kit bits will get replaced in the not too distant future, but it gets me started.

A couple of things I'm trying to figure out, and I've done a fair bit of reading but getting it all in one place would really help.

1. If I get a MAP sensor, where do I need to be plumbing it in, and how does it connect to whichever ECU I choose? Does it need wiring directly to a couple of pins in the ECU plugs?

2. Should I retain the MAF as an intake temp sensor? And should it be placed after the intercooler if so?

3. Which ECU should I be going for? I know PFC is old and they don't come up that often nowadays. Then there's Link and ECU Master that I'm aware of. Can you tune the ECU Master yourself?

I'll think of other things to ask soon, no doubt, but those are the things I'm currently concentrating on. Thanks in advance.

bluesmoke

Call the midlife!

I can only speak for what I know about the ECUMaster Black which has a built in MAP sensor and just needs a feed taking from the intake manifold and will also support a standalone IAT sensor. Where you would site the IAT depends on the rest of your kit but as close to the throttle body as appropriate.
The Black has plenty of functionality to control boost etc and premade looms for the 1zz are available from RRR to run the OEM ECU and associated functions.
60% of the time it works everytime...

thetyrant

Sounds like you still in early days of working all this out so plenty of research is the key, 1st step is working out what ECU you are going to run as this will determine the answers you need to know.

ECU is probably the biggest expense of the turbo conversion so choose wisely and find a mapper who will work with it as that is the key, no point buying an ecu nobody local to you can map etc. Its better to spend a bit more on a good quality setup than some of the cheaper ones out there, also piggybacks like EManage etc can be made to work at lower boost etc but never as well as a proper standalone ecu which is fully programmble.

I had the LInk G4 on my old turbo build and it was a brilliant bit of kit could do everything i needed,  but mine was wired in (bought 2nd hand) and not sure if PNP harness is available, many use the ECUmasters where there is a PNP harness available making install easier,  im personally not a big fan from what ive read but others get on ok with them, as above it all depends on who can get to map etc as that is most critical part of it all to prevent blowing the motor.

Have fun :)

Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Joesson

@bluesmoke

@jvanzyl,on his long term thread in Readers Rides-

'01 Silver - The daily commute smile machine!

Is currently building the exhaust system for a turbo mod. He did recently bookmark an ECU for his reference.
Their maybe some points of ( mutual) interest.

Tags: