Chassis bracing

Started by Slowpoke, November 13, 2023, 19:21

Slowpoke

Has anyone got any recommendations for a front chassis brace? I think there might be a few small companies on instagram doing parts like this?
Yours sincerely, sprog with a frog.
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=74303.0

Joesson

@Slowpoke you might find this thread of some interest :
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=812707

You could also check what a Member @Snelbard on here has to offer.

steveash

It's worth noting that some front under braces (not the top strut brace) only fit certain model years as Toyota added their own standard bracing over the years.

moca2cv

My 2p is that the FL brace is plenty adequate when combined with a strut brace. I would consider an alternative for weight saving reasons only.

Beachbum957

Quote from: Joesson on November 13, 2023, 20:36You could also check what a Member @Snelbard on here has to offer.

Get a breastplate like the one sold by Snelbaard. It makes a big difference.

Petrus

Quote from: Slowpoke on November 13, 2023, 19:21Has anyone got any recommendations for a front chassis brace? I think there might be a few small companies on instagram doing parts like this?

Have you found something yet?

On your PFL you might want to look at the ream lower arm braces too. Simple and relatively affordable but they make the rear track noticeably tighter.

Iain

Just leave it standard imo, it aint worth messing with. Even when i fitted a full roll cage i didnt notice that much difference.

Slowpoke

Quote from: Petrus on January 12, 2024, 08:59Have you found something yet?

On your PFL you might want to look at the ream lower arm braces too. Simple and relatively affordable but they make the rear track noticeably tighter.

Nope, the mr2 has taken a back seat unfortunately as I blew up the 1zz. Once I've sorted another engine out I'll return to my long list of changes I want to make

Slowpoke

Quote from: Iain on January 12, 2024, 10:15Just leave it standard imo, it aint worth messing with. Even when i fitted a full roll cage i didnt notice that much difference.

Good point, I'd like to go for a half cage and a front brace like the TPS car. As it's a PFL I'll potentially look at a bigger belly brace too.

Petrus

Quote from: Iain on January 12, 2024, 10:15Just leave it standard imo, it aint worth messing with. Even when i fitted a full roll cage i didnt notice that much difference.

Interesting. I most definitely noticed some of the bracing. Especially the two areas Toyota themselves addressed in the FL: The front lower member brace and the rear lower arm braces.
Also really appreciated the head steady (in combi with firming up the motor mounts).

The ´flex´  of the ZZW30 can imo best be divided in three areas; chassis/tub flex, suspension flex and load transfer/movement by/of the drive train.
The FL upgrade addresses the second.

Carolyn

I have a lot of bracing on my car, which is a PFL MR-S.  Each brace does make a noticeable difference with the exception of the TRD rear strut brace.  It might well be that when going for it on track bracing is less noticeable, but on the road in 'enthusiast mode', is, I  think, a different matter. 

A front strut brace, regardless of FL or PFL, is the most standout difference.  The turn in is much sharper and direct. It does need the be a properly engineered one, not one of those silly flexible ally jobs with cross bolts at each end.

The next biggest difference is with a good rigid chassis centre brace.  The car is just better over the bumps and potholes.  The ones we made were very effective.  Shnazzle had to soften off his coil-overs by several clicks after fitting one, cos the ride became much too harsh.

A front chassis brace does reduce scuttle shake in a PFL car. The standard factory one on FL cars does a good job.

And, as Petrus says, a head steady makes a difference when you pull away or hit the throttle. It needs to be properly mounted though.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Petrus

as I wrote,  understanding whích forces a brace ... braces against, helps understand what it will do, which use/circumstances it suits.
The effect on the reduced conformation of the center brace Carolyn mentions is a good example.

The lower arm braces have no such effect. Just make the wheels track their course a bit more true.

The head steady has the same effect on stability during engine load changes as harder engine mountings but without transmitting as much vibrations.

M.Dub

Wouldn't mind a centre brace, thought of trying to make something myself but not got round to it. Got a nice piece of steel plate salvaged and it needs a purpose in life. Anybody know the dimensions?

househead

Quote from: M.Dub on February  1, 2024, 23:52Wouldn't mind a centre brace, thought of trying to make something myself but not got round to it. Got a nice piece of steel plate salvaged and it needs a purpose in life. Anybody know the dimensions?

I've got a centre brace going spare. I think it's a TTE one or at least a TTE-style one. I got it intact but with a little surface rust, and it's since been covered in two coats of por15 (and garage stored). I'll get a pic and put a low price on it if you're interested? I have one of Carolyn's braces on my car that she no longer makes, so I don't need it. I'm in Preston so assuming your location here is up to date, not far to travel.
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

M.Dub

Quote from: househead on February  2, 2024, 15:08I've got a centre brace going spare. I think it's a TTE one or at least a TTE-style one. I got it intact but with a little surface rust, and it's since been covered in two coats of por15 (and garage stored). I'll get a pic and put a low price on it if you're interested? I have one of Carolyn's braces on my car that she no longer makes, so I don't need it. I'm in Preston so assuming your location here is up to date, not far to travel.

Yea id be interested thanks. I wasn't really looking to buy anything just a project really. How much you thinking?

househead

Quote from: M.Dub on February  2, 2024, 19:52Yea id be interested thanks. I wasn't really looking to buy anything just a project really. How much you thinking?

How about £40? I'll get a pic sorted.
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

M.Dub

Stuey2uk

I've been looking to fit some to my pfl ... how do the Barbarian ones fair ?

Probably start with front strut then mid

https://barbarianracing.co.uk/product/toyota-mr-s-spyder-centre-chassis-brace-bar-3/

Joesson

@Stuey2uk
Are you aware that @Snelbaard makes a range of braces and other items for our cars?
He may have a For Sale section on here, but he also might pop up, now I've mentioned his name, to offer his wares.

PS
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=67389.0
In Commercial sales.
Several items on offer.

Snelbaard

Thanks @Joesson, I do indeed offer quite a range of products. I haven't looked at my threads on this board in quite a long time so by now there are even more products in my lineup. If anyone is interested, please ask away :) Also you can keep up to date by following my instagram @Snelbaard.
Follow me on instagram for all my Spyder products @snelbaard

Tags: