Why is there a hole here??

Started by jvanzyl, February 6, 2024, 13:40

jvanzyl

Started filling the charge system up as I figured now was as good a time whilst access was good to do a leak test.

Turns out there is quite a leak but not from where I expected!

Can anyone PLEASE tell me what the purpose of this hole is for???

I didn't realise it goes straight into the core, I thought it was just another nub for some original oem purposes..

And can anyone say how you're supposed to plug these things?

Whilst I'm at it- there's another "hole" in the side of the coolant bottle.. is it supposed to be some kind of pressure release or over flow? (To where??)

Thanks in advance all!

jvanzyl

OK I'm going with the radiator hole being an overflow pipe, Aaand I'm going to connect it the coolant bottle nipple.. it's not quite making sense to me as it's all one system but I guess this is what happens with custom setups?

I'm not sure I have the right hose for this  :(  shall have to do some measuring and ordering.. bah.

Carolyn

The spigot on the radiator is meant to go to the bottom of the expansion tank, to allow for expansion. Depending on how you've plumbed the tank, you could put a piece of hose on it and close the hose with a bolt and a jubilee clip.  The spigot on the expansion tank is for overflow if it should over-pressure, which will probably never happen.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

jvanzyl

Ah! Ok right, I attempted a "close" .. this did not work.

I put some reasonably close fitting tube around it, folded it over and jubilee clipped it as tight as it would let me.

Next will be a nicely fitting screw/bolt of some sort with a rubber washer. If that doesn't work I'll be hooking it up to the expansion tank (which does have a 1.1 bar cap fitted to it).

Out of interest, surely if I just left the spigot (below) inserted,  wouldn't it leak during driving?

jvanzyl

Faint but still pursuing!

This is what was meant wasn't it?

mr2garageswindon

Throw those hose clips away now, they won't last 5 mins.
Proper "Jubilee" Clips/ hose clips are way better than them.
That is right kinda idea.
I would leave the bolt head on it too.

jvanzyl

Quote from: mr2garageswindon on February  7, 2024, 11:35Throw those hose clips away now, they won't last 5 mins.
Proper "Jubilee" Clips/ hose clips are way better than them.
That is right kinda idea.
I would leave the bolt head on it too.

I literally just looked up jubilee vs hose clamp.. honestly thought that the hose clamp/ jubilee clamp was the same thing! Definitely not my area of expertise... so it's sounding like I need to "invest" in proper stuff.. thanks for the pointer!  :)

Tags: