Need more power

Started by M.Dub, March 19, 2024, 10:21

M.Dub

So, after my recent track day I'm a little frustrated with keep getting passed and losing time on the straights. My car is currently as below.

1zz re built engine

Full stainless manifold,sports cat and back box.

Standard air intake.

Weight reduced.

BC Coilovers.

Grooved disks and track pads all round with braided lines.

Front and centre brace.

I don't really know of what else I can do to improve the performance? Iv contemplated some decent tyres as I'm currently only on T1Rs but with the 1zz will I really see the benefit?

Any advice is appreciated, I know the obvious would be a 2zz but is there even many left out there any more.

Thanks

Nvy

I can sell you a turbo kit to take you to 240-250 hp territory. With some mechanical sympathy and better cooling it will last some time. Have a look into for sale section, ill add some prices today.

Alex Knight

2ZZ or K20 is the way to go for reliable power on track.

There are plenty of decent examples of both still available if you look hard enough, providing you are willing to spend the appropriate money.

Iain

Aside from engine swaps theres 3 other things to gain time. Tyres and weight are the first 2.

Proper tyres make a big difference, as will stripping as much weight out as possible.

The 3rd, if you really wanna go fast on track is get some tuition, works wonders.

M.Dub

Agree with all 3. I don't really want to go down the engine swap route while the 1zz performs well for what it is, just wish there was a way of getting a little more out of it.

Probably go for tires once's Iv killed the proxy's.

Any point in switching to an aftermarket induction kit?

Iain

Quote from: M.Dub on March 19, 2024, 23:37Any point in switching to an aftermarket induction kit?

No. I mean you'll maybe free up 1/2hp at best. But then you'll most likely get heat soak problems on hot days. Stick with the oem airbox, it works perfectly well and then go and spend that money you saved on quality tyres.

Alex Knight

With respect to @Iain, sticky tyres aren't going to change the OP's issue very much, namely being straight line speed.

Petrus

Quote from: M.Dub on March 19, 2024, 10:21I don't really know of what else I can do to improve the performance?

Straight line spééd is a function of power and resistance. You can add lightness to max acceleration but regardless you will run into the hp limit. See @AdamR28 ´s wonderful gem.

Short of supercharging there is not much to do to the 1ZZ-FD. It is what it is and the fun of the car lies elsewhere. See again the above.

In mý opinion modern car hp means that straight line speed is a lost race.

Get  yourself lightweight wheels with grippy rubber, upgrade to aluminium Prius calipers  https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=74205.0   with more agressive pads and enjoy dive bombing them  8)

JB21

As Iain states book some tuition and order some sticker tyres to make your corner speed faster, more so exit speeds as this leads to faster straight line speed. Just look at the MR2 championship cars running 195/205 R888R's. They only go around the UK circuits a second or so slower than I can in my tricked out 2ZZ.

I have some MRF ZTR track tyres I maybe selling if interested. 2 x 195/50/15 and 2 x 225/45/15 all with lots for tread remaining.

Iain

Quote from: Alex Knight on March 20, 2024, 07:31With respect to @Iain, sticky tyres aren't going to change the OP's issue very much, namely being straight line speed.

...But they do allow you to corner faster and carry more speed onto said straight, resulting in more speed on the boring bit.

Then add in being able to brake later into the next corner and suddenly lap times are heading in the direction everyone wants them to be.

Alex Knight

Quote from: Iain on March 20, 2024, 09:36...But they do allow you to corner faster and carry more speed onto said straight, resulting in more speed on the boring bit.

Then add in being able to brake later into the next corner and suddenly lap times are heading in the direction everyone wants them to be.

Yes, hence I qualified the statement with "very much".

The apex speed, and therefore the exit speed, is only going to be ~5MPH higher on a given 3rd gear corner with <= 200TW tyres. Not exactly earth shattering.

Gaz2405

How many track days a year?

If only a handful and it's more of fast road, I'd go budget 1zz turbo conversion.
1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

M.Dub

Thanks all for the advice

M.Dub

Quote from: JB21 on March 20, 2024, 08:32As Iain states book some tuition and order some sticker tyres to make your corner speed faster, more so exit speeds as this leads to faster straight line speed. Just look at the MR2 championship cars running 195/205 R888R's. They only go around the UK circuits a second or so slower than I can in my tricked out 2ZZ.

I have some MRF ZTR track tyres I maybe selling if interested. 2 x 195/50/15 and 2 x 225/45/15 all with lots for tread remaining.

Yea I'd be interested, DM me if you're going to sell them please.

tom256

Quote from: M.Dub on March 19, 2024, 10:21So, after my recent track day I'm a little frustrated with keep getting passed and losing time on the straights. My car is currently as below.

1zz re built engine

Full stainless manifold,sports cat and back box.

Standard air intake.

Weight reduced.

BC Coilovers.

Grooved disks and track pads all round with braided lines.

Front and centre brace.

I don't really know of what else I can do to improve the performance? Iv contemplated some decent tyres as I'm currently only on T1Rs but with the 1zz will I really see the benefit?

Any advice is appreciated, I know the obvious would be a 2zz but is there even many left out there any more.

Thanks

-Stage 1 camshaft or MAF mod
-Prius front brake calipers

But I think best option will be 2ZZ or K20/K24 swap.

Toyota MR2 Roadster 2005 TF300 Silver Streak Mica
Team Impul NS-GT2 '17
Zero header + Zero cat + TTE Exhaust
TRD Door Stabilizer
Denso TT Iridium

Tags: