Car dead

Started by Newbie57, April 11, 2024, 15:20

Newbie57

Just tried to start the car and it's completely dead. It's been sitting about a week. Put the charger on the battery  and it goes to maintain.
Any thoughts.

Carolyn

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Gaz mr-s

If the charger won't chime in on it's own, a solution is to wire another healthier 12V batt in parallel & attach the charger.  The charger will respond to the higher voltage, but most of the charging current will go into the flat battery.  It might take 5 minutes or 50, but if the car worked a week ago I'm sure this'll work.

Going flat in a week suggests either the battery is way past it's best, or not running long enough (30 mins perhaps) to fully charge.   If you have a voltmeter, it'd be a good idea to check the voltage when it's charging/charged.

Topdownman

If you havent already tried this, I would also suggest taking off the battery clamps and cleaning the insides and terminals with some fine grit wet and dry. I have had the oxidisation on these areas mean that the car lights would work, but not enough current to turn over the car.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Newbie57

Car has a few good runs recently. Battery  is not that old and I have had no issues with leaving it a week before.

Joesson

Quote from: Newbie57 on April 11, 2024, 15:20Just tried to start the car and it's completely dead. It's been sitting about a week. Put the charger on the battery  and it goes to maintain.
Any thoughts.

My reading of this is that your charger is telling you that the battery is charged and just needs to maintain that charge.
Do your ignition lights come on? Do your lights come on?
That being the case perhaps the battery is OK and the problem is with the starting circuit.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Newbie57 on April 11, 2024, 17:08Car has a few good runs recently. Battery  is not that old and I have had no issues with leaving it a week before.

Check of alternator output would be a good idea.

tomaky

how new is the battery? often a battery can charge up to a good voltage but have no amperage. If you dont have a tester (cheap of amazon) halfrauds will test for free.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

Newbie57

Played around with the 2 chargers I have and finally got one to recognise the battery  needed charging. Will see what happens overnight.

Newbie57

Up and running. :D

MarkB1

Most modern/digital display chargers won't even start to charge a really flat battery. Best jump starting and running for 10mins then try to charge. I find you only get three to four weeks out of  the MR2 battery in the colder weather. I don't use mine much and the battery goes flat quite often. I've had four batteries in 12 years, not using them kills the battery.

Joesson

Since 2011 when I bought a new car and also a 2002 MR2 I have bought 2 replacement batteries.
A Yuasa in March 2016 for my 2, used 6 months of the year and garaged all year. For the first  few years, during the 6 months of no usage I kept  the battery on a trickle / maintenance charge but in recent years I simply disconnect the battery, check it occasionally and charge as required. Currently unconnected and at 12.7 V.
My daily had a replacement Yuasa battery in November 2017 at approaching 7 years old and is kept on the driveway.

So, the daily is used as such and my 2 is only for infrequent fair weather use but the batteries both seem to last beyond the 5 year warranty period. Neither battery has been allowed to discharge substantially, maybe that is the key factor in longevity.

Tags: