Urethane motor mount inserts

Started by Slacey, June 23, 2005, 19:07

Slacey

After buying these way back in January, I finally got round to fitting them today. To be honest, the stories of seriously increased vibration had put me off a bit, then I just forgot I had them until I took the car to be tuned at Thor - I was amazed at just how much the engine moves when under load.

Anyway, the install was easy, just having to drop the front and rear engine mounts which are easily accesible when on ramps. Basically you drop them, then push the inserts into the rubber, and reassemble. I had to jack the engine up a little with the rear one, but the front was no hassle at all.

Impressions? Well, the extra vibration is certainly noticeable, but nowhere near what I was expecting. Pulling away at low RPM's gives a bit of a shudder, but when moving you don't notice any more vibration over standard. Now the plus points - the throttle now feels instant and without the engine shifting the pickup is instant, it all feels more direct. Secondly, my B&M has never been what you would call smooth - the brass shifter bushings made a difference, but this, wow! Now the engine barely moves there is nothing moving the shifter cables and mechanism around, and the gearshift has become silky smooth - even Kris Clark would like it now  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

To sum up, these IMO are well worth the $50 purchase price. I suspect some people couldn't live with the vibration from the now stationary engine (apparently the harshness subsides as they bed in), but I think I will be leaving them in for good. If anyone is interested in these and would like to try them first, catch me at any of the meets or shout if you are local and I'll take you out for a spin.

Full details on these HERE

Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

so.simple

You guys are all evil! Stop giving me reasons to spend all of my hard earned money!   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:
Carlos

Slacey

Quote from: "so.simple"You guys are all evil! Stop giving me reasons to spend all of my hard earned money!   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:
LOL! I see you bought some then  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

so.simple

Yes I did...   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Carlos

Slacey

As an aside to this, looking at the pic above does anyone know what the rubber thing is with a bolt and nut through it is for? There is also one on the back side of the rear mount that you can't see in the picture. They aren't connected to anything at all once the mount is in place  s:? :? s:?

Tem

Quote from: "Slacey"As an aside to this, looking at the pic above does anyone know what the rubber thing is with a bolt and nut through it is for? There is also one on the back side of the rear mount that you can't see in the picture. They aren't connected to anything at all once the mount is in place  s:? :? s:?

IIRC, someone said it's some sort of vibration dampener.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: