Turbo exhausts

Started by Tem, June 29, 2005, 06:40

Tem

Anyone ever measured the difference between stock cat+muffler and some catless free flowing exhaust after a turbo?

The TS muffler is starting to be a bit too much for me. But I'm kinda sure the stock cat will blow up soonish, so I'd rather have some idea about the performance loss before trying it...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Tem

I'm afraid I don't know anything about your turbo question

Though however can you tell me or even better show us what your turbo looks like and how of a different it does to the car?

Thanks

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"Anyone ever measured the difference between stock cat+muffler and some catless free flowing exhaust after a turbo?

Never measured it on a '2, however I would venture that - with a turbo in the exhaust, you won't find any detrimental effects from removing the CAT altogether. Generally speaking, the turbo will provide more than enough back pressure on it's own.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "rainmen23"Though however can you tell me or even better show us what your turbo looks like and how of a different it does to the car?

Sorry, don't really have any good pics online, but here's some:
 m http://koti.mbnet.fi/temmeke/MR-S/Foto1.jpg m
(keep changing the number up to 7)

As for how different it feels...let's just say I'm off boost now (PFC+PPE+no muffler) and it feels like the car does nothing when I floor it, even if it's around 900kg  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  I'm just getting tired of the noise  s:? :? s:?

Quote from: "aaronjb"Never measured it on a '2, however I would venture that - with a turbo in the exhaust, you won't find any detrimental effects from removing the CAT altogether. Generally speaking, the turbo will provide more than enough back pressure on it's own.

It's not really the cat I'm worried about as I'm sure it will be a straight through setup after some popping  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  But the stock muffler looks pretty restrictive (check Spydermagazine), especially compared to the TS muffler...

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"It's not really the cat I'm worried about as I'm sure it will be a straight through setup after some popping  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  But the stock muffler looks pretty restrictive (check Spydermagazine), especially compared to the TS muffler...

Ahhhh I get you - your question was more about, what will happen putting the stock muffler back on your turbo setup..  s:) :) s:)  Sorry, I misread what you were asking  s;) ;) s;)

Hmm.. I saw the pics on Spydermagazine, and yep, the stock muffler is extremely restrictive.. I'd guess that there won't be any 'terrible' effects, but you'll boost less than you were before and lose a chunk of power..

Don't do it!  s;) ;) s;)

BTW (looked at your pics) - nice divorced downpipe  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

mph

Quote from: "Tem"Anyone ever measured the difference between stock cat+muffler and some catless free flowing exhaust after a turbo?
Power, I presume? Yes, 186bhp stock CAT/exhaust, 220bhp same map, but with a custom non-CAT exhaust.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "mph"
Power, I presume? Yes, 186bhp stock CAT/exhaust, 220bhp same map, but with a custom non-CAT exhaust.

Yeah, power. Thanks, that was just what I was looking for!  s8) 8) s8)

Tags: