Standard Headunit Removal

Started by Anonymous, August 15, 2003, 09:45

Anonymous

Hey guys, i went to take it out last night and can't see how it works, no holes or anything.

Any help most appreciated, cheers.

Anonymous

There's a howto link somewhere but it doesn't seem to work at the mo.

1. Take off heater knobs, remove screws and take off trim.
2. Take caps off bottom of uprights either side of radio
3. Pull off upright plastic bits.

It's pretty obvious from there.

J

Anonymous

Sounds complex, how long does it take and do you have any piccies?

Anonymous

Its ok found this thanks though.

m http://www.spydermagazine.com/2000/july ... stereo.htm m

Comer

Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

So you need a wiring harness then?

All other h/u's i've had you simply plug in....

Anonymous

Buster challenged me to complete it in 10 minutes.  I failed mainly because I couldn't get some screws out  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  but it still only took 30 - 40 mins from start to having the new HU working.
It looks scarier in the pictures that it is really.

J

Anonymous

Yep I risked getting a RAV4 harness from Halfords and it worked a treat.

J

Anonymous

30-40 mins i had the fronts in comers by then   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

RAV 4 stuff 2000+ works on the 2 lovley but make sure you get the correct ISO plug on the end for the manufactures conection   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Just to add to this topic : I followed a combination of both guides which are linked on this topic and I installed my stereo completly in about 40 minutes - and Im a novice!!.

Hardest parts was not buggering up the fixing screws for the existing stereo - they're in tight!.

I got all my parts from Incardiscount and everything went in first time - no problems.

Yes, it looks scary to do, but it really is a case of following the guides and taking your time.  But nothing will replace the smile on your face, having done it yourself and getting rid of the worst car stereo you'd ever owned!.

Anonymous

here here silver   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

filcee

Quote from: "silvermr2"Just to add to this topic : I followed a combination of both guides which are linked on this topic and I installed my stereo completly in about 40 minutes - and Im a novice!!.

<snip>

I got all my parts from Incardiscount and everything went in first time - no problems.

<snip>

Silver,
Do you have an '03 Fisher Price model H/U, or the Sony unit in the '02 and previous models?
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

I "had" the Toyota 03 Fisher Price headunit, I now have the oh so lovely Kenwood KDCM7024 MP3 Headunit installed.

Photo available if anyone is interested........

[/i]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "silvermr2"I "had" the Toyota 03 Fisher Price headunit, I now have the oh so lovely Kenwood KDCM7024 MP3 Headunit installed.
Did you find a huge improvement? (I guess probably so)
And did you replace the speakers?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

filcee

Quote from: "silvermr2"I "had" the Toyota 03 Fisher Price headunit, I now have the oh so lovely Kenwood KDCM7024 MP3 Headunit installed.

Photo available if anyone is interested........

[/i]

OOOh - yes please! Photos would be cool!
Am I correct in my understanding that the parts required for replacing the '03 are the same as those quoted in the articles?
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Yes its makes a MASSIVE difference mate, i'll get those prod numbers for you hang on.

Anonymous

55521 -16030 : Tray / Storage slot
55423 - 17040 : Surrounding trim
86221 -52050 : Left hand spacer
86221 - 52060 : Right hand spacer

Anonymous

I'll try and get some photos on today...

I only needed two parts : The MR2 03 Single Din Facia adapter & the official MR2 Wiring loom to connect the new head unit to the existing wiring. Both Items are found on  w www.incardiscount.co.uk w  I actually emailed them first and they told me what I needed.  From memory, the whole lot was around £30.00+

The facia kit actually covers a range of Toyotas, some snapping off of parts is required - but all is made clear in the included instructions, to tailor is to your car.

And yes, the new stereo makes a WORLD of difference, I have not upgraded the speakers though, Im happy with the results. (and I was used to having over £1k of kit in my previous car!)

Anonymous

I think its described as RAV4 2000+ fascia adaptor  s:D :D s:D

Tags: