Quick power and speed gains?

Started by Anonymous, July 6, 2005, 18:08

Anonymous

Hi guys.
I dont really want to admit this but a 106 gti beat me the other day and im gutted!!
My mrs tops out at about 125-130 but i wondered if anyone knows a quick and relitively cheap way of improving my performance?
Thanks

Anonymous

from what i've seen, the faster we go, the easier it is to catch us! I bet he would have struggled to beat you on country roads with loads of corners!

(As long as the roads were dry!   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:     s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )

Anonymous

yea prob, but my last car was a 306 gti6 so im not familiar with this kind of problem. I do love my MRS tho. Any ideas of how to bump the performance up then?

GSB

Quote from: "jamesr1"from what i've seen, the faster we go, the easier it is to catch us! I bet he would have struggled to beat you on country roads with loads of corners!

(As long as the roads were dry!   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:     s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )

I bet he wouldn't...

I have both an MR2 and a 106, although mine is only the 8v 1.6 engine...

So whilst my 106 isnt the fastest one made, or the best handling (that would be the GTi version) it does have the sort of handling characteristics Peugeot used to be famous for. Quite simply, its a delight to throw around corners, and its much easier to drive on the limit, in all weathers, than the MR2. So in a cornering contest, the bravery factor enables the 106 driver to throw the car around with far greater conviction.

As for straight line speed, the little pug GTi has a similar power to wieght ratio to the MR2, but is far far easier to tune. Cams, ECU's, throttle bodies, turbos... all are very easy. There are also several of them running around with the 2.0 turbo lunp from the 405Mi16, So dont be shocked when some boy racer 106 eats you alove at the lights, and then goes on out corner you in a blatent display of the cars talents vastly outwieghing those of the driver.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

if you want the strongest and fastest way to get power get a turbo system for your car. do understand that it will take some getting used to the speed but its more than enough for me. i suggest the Power Enterprise Turbo from monkeywrench racing, they have great customer service. and if your money is really tight i just suggest stripping the car and making it as light as you can get it. power to weight ratio can only get better. i used to drive a high powered civic and i prefer my spyder over the civic anyday.

Darth Paul

Quote from: "mrS dan"Hi guys.
I dont really want to admit this but a 106 gti beat me the other day and I'm gutted!!
My mrs tops out at about 125-130 but i wondered if anyone knows a quick and relitively cheap way of improving my performance?
Thanks

So presumably you raced him at these speeds?  s:? :? s:?  

The best way is not to race – then there is a mystery to your car and no-one can say they've beaten you.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Beaten by a 106GTi! You P*ssy!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Just kidding mate - there's no shame in it. I only sold my 106GTi a few weeks ago and it beat Emma's '2 hands down for speed. As for cornering, I agree with the above - it is very good on corners but sadly I'm not, so Emma did used to beat me in the bends. Problem was I could be straight back up her bumper again in a matter of seconds!

Mine had a decat and FAI - that was it. Very quick indeed. Not as quick as my 172 though!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Top speed on the 106 is approx 130 so if you went flat out there'd be nothing in it. It's the acceleration you need to worry about.

Tags: