Unichip Tuners in the Midlands

Started by Bongo, July 6, 2005, 18:11

Bongo

I'm looking to get the chip that's currently sat under my bed fitted and tuned   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Has anyone used a place in the midlands area that they would recommend?

Just wondering if there is anyone decent nearby or if i should plan a trip to millways?

Slacey

Give Thor a call -  w www.thorracing.co.uk w

I'm not sure if they deal in Unichips but they are well recommended in tuning terms, I've used them personally to tune my Emanage.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

kanujunkie

if not, e-mail Dastek, got an e-mail back pretty quick with the name of a local dealer who could program the Unichip
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Bongo

Just rang Thor and it seems that it's just about the only thing that they don't touch.

They did say if I wanted to change and put something decent on that they would be pleased to help   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Bongo"They did say if I wanted to change and put something decent on that they would be pleased to help   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

picky buggers! just like a company to critisize other companys products
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Bongo

They were very reluctant to criticise actually  s:) :) s:)

Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm now unsure whether to "chance" it with a local dealer who no one has used or to take a trip to millways?

kanujunkie

yep, go to http://www.dastek.co.uk/contact.asp they contacted me back with the info within 24hrs
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Sell it to me  s;) ;) s;)

Bongo

They replied:

m http://www.aldonauto.co.uk/ m

Aldon Automotive
Brierly Hill

Anyone heard of them?

Slacey

Nope! I can't see any mention of the Unichip on their website, and the rolling roads they run are 2wd only and up to 280bhp. Still, they could be really good, who knows?
If you lived closer I'd say call in and see them in person to make up your mind.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

yes, I know of Aldon from the old 3.0 Capri and 2.0 Cortina days  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

They do mention the unichip as it forms the basis of their X-rated power kits.

Used to have a very good name but alas I am a little out of date but I did e-mail dastek this morning for a list of all recommended tuners in the Midlands.

Bongo

That's what I asked for too (last week). They took about a week to get back to me and just listed Aldon.

filcee

I used Aldon once 10+ years ago to diagnose a problem with the ECU on my old Nova GTE (:oops: there's an admission  s:oops: :oops: s:oops: ).  My local backstreet mechanics recommended them as they were unable to diagnose the problem properly with their set up.  At that time, they were well known in the Black Country as the local tuning experts, and ISTR that one of my acquaintances had used them to tune Ford XR2's, 3's and a Lotus Sunbeam.

It seemed to take Aldon a long time (3 separate goes on the rolling road), plus putting the control unit in an oven and cooking it  s:!: :!: s:!:  to work out that it was broken and  needed a new one. I was also 500 quid poorer at the end of all that effort.

Although they were recommended, I can say that I was not overly impressed with their technical expertise or ability to communicate their plan for diagnosing the problem, and the results they expected.  Fortunately for them I knew less than they did ... maybe that's why I ended up 500 quid poorer  s:( :( s:(

Having said all that - it was 10 years ago & things may have changed.  I would suggest the only way to find out is to go and see them and have a chat to determine if you think they are up to the job.  If they want the business, they should be accommodating, if not - well that's a clear indication that you might be better off spending the time and effort to go further afield to make sure you get the service & result that you want.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Tags: