Removing the Unichip...

Started by GSB, July 15, 2005, 10:00

GSB

In short, don't... you'd be a fool.

Mine has been out of the car for about 4 days, and I really miss it... The car just seems so gutless without it.
The strange thing is, that the difference in performance wasn't this noticeable when the Unichip went in, but I can really feel it now that its gone.

For those of you who havent had the pleasure, the best way for me to explain the benefits of the unichip is like this:

You know how responsive your car feels when you give it some throttle whilst travelling down hill? That immediate surge of acceleration thats a little more than what you normally get? The ability of the engine to pull hard at low revs? The Unichip makes the car feel like that all the time, only without the extended stopping distance...

At the moment I feel like Im constantly travelling up a loooooong hill...  s:( :( s:(  

Its going back in tonight...  s:D :D s:D
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Why'd you take it out?

Anonymous

What you really want to do is sell it some that you can spend some money on the wife/GF.

I'll take it off your hands  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

xdesign

Yep, a fuel managment system is a must I think.

I installed the PFC with the PPE header and cat, and ...it's just a different car!!! Much more responsive, and fast!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "stevewarbs"What you really want to do is sell it some that you can spend some money on the wife/GF.

I'll take it off your hands  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Oi i'm first in the cue   s8) 8) s8)

GSB

Quote from: "mkawada"Why'd you take it out?

Getting some performance data using the dyno function on my Digimoto software and ODBII reader. I want to compare my 150 mile old stock exhaust manifold, with my gutted stock manifold, and with my new Amuse 4 into 2 manifold. I'll post the results here when they are done (eventually). I would have preferred to use a TRD manifold for the performance item but the   Amuse is very similar.  My aim is to see just how good a stock header can be if you get rid of the pre-cats, and see if the performance ones are really worth the extra.
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Good effort! I'll be waiting with bated breath for the results. I've always been of the school of thought that says a header similar to the standard one but without the cats i.e. TRD or Amuse, is not going to much better than a decatted stock header. My mind , however, remains open to the reality that, hopefully, will be gained from your testing.

GSB

Quote from: "RUSTY"Good effort! I'll be waiting with bated breath for the results. I've always been of the school of thought that says a header similar to the standard one but without the cats i.e. TRD or Amuse, is not going to much better than a decatted stock header. My mind , however, remains open to the reality that, hopefully, will be gained from your testing.

Its one of a series of tests I've been planning for ages, but haven't had the time to do. Others include a differential pressure analysis of the nearside air intake, to see what's really happening back there at speed. I hope to be able to answer once and for all what actually happens at the air intake.

Another test is a vibration analysis of the crankcase. Someone detailed a possible low speed resonance problem with the crankshaft at cruising speeds, that could be a factor in some engine failures. I've got an SKF bearings vibration ananlyser for work, and decided to investigate, but then it went on the back burner due to lack of time. I'll investigate that one again in a few weeks.

Anonymous

Performance comparison studies are always good for reference. Too bad, we can't find that many in SC or over here. It's always more of a 'heresay' without technical data to back the claims up.

If you do what you say you gonna do, it's one tiny step towards the right direction!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

BenF

GSB - how are you doing the comparison - 0-60 times or something ?

That reminds me, I need to do some 0-100kmh runs using the OBD-II reader too  s:) :) s:)
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

GSB

I decided that 0-60 tests are not the way forward... Not only cant I afford the clutch bill, but there are just to many variables that affect the result, like traction, gearshift times, and the hamfisted abilities of the monkey behind the wheel.

My tests will be rolling, in gear acceleration tests. This removes many of the variables at a stroke. Traction is no longer an issue, and as the driver needs only to plant his foot to the floor at the right time, his ability can be factored out of the equation too. As long as the tests are conducted on the same road, in the same direction, at the same ambient temperature and humidity, with the same fuel load, we can also rule out gradient, mass flow of air, weight of the vehicle etc. and leave only the one variable that actually matters. The output of the engine.

I have in mind a particularly quiet, straight, traffic free, flat section of track on private land that suits my purposes perfectly.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

BenF

Sounds good - I'd not thought about doing in gear acceleration test, but that's the way to do it. I don't think the free / GPL apps I've got allow in-gear tests.

One thought - my OBD-II reader only takes ~2.5 samples a second - so assuming that you're aiming to measure the time to accelerate between two speeds, does the DigiMoto app interpolate between two samples to give you an estimated (but fairly accurate) timing ?

I'm still tempted to buy the PocketPc version of DigiMoto but ODBGauge is has done upto now everything I needed including datalogging ..
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

Chris

sounds like you have access to some impressive tools via work there Grant!  I look forward to seeing the results (as i'm sure we all do), especially as I have been thinking about getting a new header...   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Tags: