Is NOS legal???? I believe so

Started by Anonymous, July 15, 2005, 13:02

Anonymous

Is NOS legal???? I believe so check out the video chip on http://www.potn.com

Anonymous

Has anyone put a NOS kit in their car yet???  Or is anyone thinking of doin it soon???  Please let me and everyone else know soon

Thanks

spit

It is an acknowledged modification and AFAIK its legal (as seen on Top Gear last season), but will obviously require clearance with your Insurers.

I considered this a couple of years ago for the MR-S but never got round to it. Gonna go turbo instead - probably C2, PE or Hass.

After much negotiation, my underwriters have confirmed that I can now do what I like against my existing policy "statement of facts" (except change engine displacement) with no hike in premium. Be stupid not to! Yippee-do!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I'm in Manch - pm me if you wanna chat.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

spit

oops, I meant "Fifth Gear", not "Top Gear"   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

aaronjb

Quote from: "spit"oops, I meant "Fifth Gear", not "Top Gear"   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

I'm sure it's been on Top Gear as well.. I think.. that old Jag?

Anyway, definitely legal, though you may have hell's own job trying to find an insurer who will cover it - they can be very finicky about tanks of pressurised gas in a car (now where's that picture of what happens when it explodes?), even if it is actually not flammable.. (And lets face it, in our cars we practically sit on an even larger tank of flammable liquid!)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  Aaron the invincible - you're right matey. Was that the Jag that eventually succumbed to terminal water damage?

aaronjb

Quote from: "spit":bowdown: Aaron the invincible - you're right matey. Was that the Jag that eventually succumbed to terminal water damage?

I can't remember what they did to it now.. I just remember it being an old .. was it XJS or XJ12? White, rusty.. and winning the top speed sprint against all that expensive metal  s:D :D s:D

(Oh and - not invincible, just watch too much TV!  s;) ;) s;) )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Darth Paul

Finally went off the ski jump of HMS Invincible (or other) with the old Stig in it, IIRC.

spit

IIRC, isn't it the one they eventually launched off an aircraft carrier? (Or was that a green one). I clearly don't watch as much TV as you....

Drifting off topic a bit here, soz.

spit

Beaten by two minutes. Dman you darth  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Anyway, back on topic

I thought that it was legal to carry nos, but not to actually activate it?

Maybe I made that up though?

edward.carter

i heard that it was illegal to activate it recently but i thought it was 100% legal myself, i do know that your supposed to display one of those green compressed gas stickers on the back for it to be road legal though

SimonC_Here

Didn't someone here have NOS and a turbo

and NO engine management over the stock ECU?   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Simon

markiii

yep Daz400 and surprisingly he also had driveabilty issues  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"Didn't someone here have NOS and a turbo

and NO engine management over the stock ECU?   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Simon
I think that was Daz who moved to Spain - he did piggyback something in the end though IIRC - maybe an Emanage?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Never mind about the sting.  the dude is dead!!! RIP  That crazy sod drives cars off a aircraft carrier wouldn't you be dead???

Has anyone got a NOS kit in there car????    s:D :D s:D

MR-S Turbo

I have nitrous oxide in my other car.  Some insurers will not insure me with it.  To keep it leagal I have 2 small warning stickers on the back of my car one being the comperssed gas sticker and the other being the oxidiation agent sticker.
TRD 2000GT - 500BHP ish

Anonymous

Spit, let me know if you go turbo, wouldn't mind having a look  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Daz had the Nos setup but it was never installed, the idea was to put a small shot to compliment the lag of the turbo, but it never needed it really so he sold it on.

He always had a piggyback on from the start, well a PFC came first but he wasn't informed of it not fitting an SMT till too late, his driveability issues came from the SMT when the clutch was changed, Yota had a bitch of a time getting it to select gears after they'd finished shagging it all up   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

kanujunkie

come across this one through work, yes as others have said, NOS is legal, but because it's a pressurised container you come into problems with the Health and Safety Exec, all pressurised vessels have to be declared to your insurance and require additional insurance to be carried in a mobile vehicle, this comes under the transport of dangerous goods act(i think 1974??) and is backed up today by COSHH regulations, oh and don't forget the nice big square compressed gas sticker that you have to have on the back of the car, it's about 6" square min
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Jap GT300

Quote from: "rainmen23"Has anyone put a NOS kit in their car yet???  Or is anyone thinking of doing it soon???  Please let me and everyone else know soon

Thanks

Come to JAE next weekend and i'm sure you'll find out   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

I have NOS on the GT four and yes its perfectly legal, as for insurance, Adrian Flux dont have a problem with it

I only have a 25 shot to take car of any lag on my now larger turbo, but its very noticable and gets her up to her 437 bhp quite easily now   s;-) ;-) s;-)    :-) :-) :-)

heathstimpson

Quote from: "perry190"I have NOS on the GT four and yes its perfectly legal, as for insurance, Adrian Flux dont have a problem with it

I only have a 25 shot to take car of any lag on my now larger turbo, but its very noticable and gets her up to her 437 bhp quite easily now   s;-) ;-) s;-)    :-) :-) :-)
Any chance of a sample run at JAE  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

cars in the body shop being painted for the next 3 weeks so will miss out on JAE unfortunately   s:-( :-( s:-(

BenF

Quote from: "perry190"I have NOS on the GT four and yes its perfectly legal, as for insurance, Adrian Flux dont have a problem with it

At the risk of topic drift ... that's a lot of power from a 3S-GTE engine - what work have you done to get it up there?

It might be useful info for anyone considering a 3S-GTE engine swap into a Roadster  s;) ;) s;)
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

Tags: