TTE sway bars installation - Help!

Started by Anonymous, July 18, 2005, 16:35

Anonymous

Hello everyone,

I've just imported a bunch of TTE parts (springs, sway bars and roll bar) and had my local Toyota service dept instal it all (want to keep that warranty). This they did for all but the sway bars saying that they couldn't get them to fit and that I needed bigger braces and seals - and they tried but couldn't source any. This is all coming from a service dept. 'front man' - they wouldn't let me get to the mechanic, and it was late in the day so I gave up.

This service "elf" said they thought I should have been supplied appropriate extra fittings with the sway bar kit from TTE.

I don't think they're referring to the endpins, it sounds like it's the bar mount and its rubber (?) cushion, but who knows?

Also when I ordered I said I had an 04 MR2, but I've since done my homework and it's definitely an '03. Would this make a difference to the size of the bars- I've been through all the threads I can find about TTE sway bars and I've seen nothing to make me think that it would, in fact most people seem to have iinstalled them with the stock mounts and some have used custom endlinks.

Excuse me if there's a post about this but I couldn't find anything. I've seen the installation guide on Spydermagazine btw. Makes it look like stock mounts are fine!

markiii

ok first up,

year of teh car will make no difference.

TTE bars are thicker so technically you need rubber mounts witha  wider bore. However most people seem to manage, one way or another.

If you measure teh thickness and call Demon Tweeks they should be able to sort you out.

next up is what stiffness setting you are trying to install it on. As you probably know teh TTE bars are 3 point adjustable. The inermost setting is very very difficult to get attached as it is so tight. It can be done with the appropriate leverage and patience though.

However be warned several people have bent their ARB links byt putting a TTE bar on it's stiffest setting.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"year of the car will make no difference. >><<TTE bars are thicker so technically you need rubber mounts witha  wider bore. However most people seem to manage, one way or another. >><<If you measure the thickness and call Demon Tweeks they should be able to sort you out.<<

Thanks markiii... We don't have Demon Tweeks here but there are shops here like them. Maybe DT will mail me them if I can't source them here.

Quotenext up is what stiffness setting you are trying to install it on.>><<< be warned several people have bent their ARB links byt putting a TTE bar on it's stiffest setting.

Hmm, I've seen allusions to this- v good to know. I was planning on starting on the middle setting. Is getting the bars to their stiffest setting a matter of being careful, trial and error or just plain luck. (ie does one need bigger stronger links - someone on Spyderchat has made some I believe) or will the stock ones work ALWAYS with care?)

Thanks again mate.

Anonymous

btw here's the reply from my guy at TTE:

QuoteHi Ken,

you can fit the stabilizer kit with the standard Toyota parts, it does not matter which production date you have. I know that in the installation manuel is mentioned that you have to use new rubbers but these rubbers are not necessary and were never included in our kit.

Please keep me informed.

Kind regards,

Toyota Motorsport GmbH

Florian Bachus
Co-ordinator Sales

Tags: