Emanage wiring help? (Hass STage 2 installed)

Started by markiii, July 19, 2005, 00:36

markiii

Guys,

Having run out of ideas and inspiration I'm hoping you can provide a little of both.

My Hass Stage II is installed.

Injectors are done.

With the stock ecu in place the car will start and though obviously it's not great  due to the bigger injectors, it will run and it will idle.

On installing the emanage my first issue was that the car woudln't start, much checking of the wiring later and having fixed a problem with the airflow  pin (thanks BIll, WTS) she starts.

However now I have 2 issues, 1 I get a CEL (Pocketlogger back tommorow then I will know what) and 2, my tacho does not work.

I checked and checked and rechecked all of the wiring, I've checked all of the emanage jumpers and dials and all are set correctly.

If I take out the emanage then I'm back to being fine.

So, any ideas?

thanks,

Mark

Looks like I may be carless at JAE at this rate  s:-( :-( s:-(
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

sounds like a conflict of interest almost on the part of the emanage, the tach is wired directly off the ECU and i take it you've cut in on that line, so if it doesn't work with the unit plugged in then surely it can only be one of four things, 1) software/map 2) the units knackered 3)the jumper settings you have are wrong 4) the wireing diags are wrong

i think to be able to help Mark were going to need more info on the wireing layout otherwise only a couple of people are going to be able to help you

can you not limp it to JAE and try Seans unit?

sorry if i'm not making much sense but i've just finnished a 12hr night shift and i'm cream crackered
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Slacey

In consultation last night Mark checked the jumper settings, got a multimeter on the wires / pins and as mentioned checked the wiring (the diagrams are definately correct, we cross-checked them with my wiring. As for the maps, they wouldn't affect the tacho function at all, but they do rely on it so it needs to be working or the car is a no go  s:? :? s:?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

dimwit

Had no trouble with my wiring, straight forward   s:? :? s:?  .. Mark is your car an u.k or import model?

SteveJ

To get at the tacho signal, do you cut the wire (ie. it passes through the emanage) or do you tap in to it?

If you tap in to it and the wiring is definately correct then the emanage must be pulling the line to ground (or +ve) causing the tacho to stop working.

If the signal passes through then the problem could be hardware or software - without looking at it I couldnt say for definate.

If you are still scratching your head this evening I can pop over and bring my scope with me (I also have an OBDII -> Serial adaptor to read the CEL if you havent got the pocket logger back)

markiii

may well take you up on that, and the tacho is a tap not a cut connection.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

Quote from: "markiii"and the tacho is a tap not a cut connection.

that wouldn't make any difference if the units putting a Gnd on the line, it would bugger the signal either way
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

spit

Mark. Dunno if this helps (cos I'm at the bottom of a ridiculously steep learning curve) but the Emanage Ultimate manual mentions an "important" footnote several times that where the ignition, crank angle (pin33) or cam angle (pin39) signal is wired, the unit doesn't require the rpm input signal (pin23) wire to be connected to pick up rpm signal.
It doesn't specifically say that this screws your tacho up, but then it doesn't say that it doesn't either, so I'm thinking that the advice not to wire to rpm signal must be there for a reason.
Dunno if this is the same for the basic EManage - but maybe they've revised software or something since Sean got his. It might be a conflict you can investigate?
Meanwhile, hope you made it JAE and all is well.

Ste
(Moderators, please delete my post if this turns out to be complete bunkum!)
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

SteveJ

Several hours with my trusty oscilloscope revealed there was something wrong with the input & output levels for the ignitors (compared to just the stock ECU) but it wasnt until I was driving home at gone midnight on Tuesday that a little light came on in my head when I realised this was actually being caused by the simplest of faults - a missing ground reference  s:( :( s:(  - the connection point in the instructions seems to be open circuit on Mark's car, but a good ground point on Sean's  s:? :? s:?

The other problem is the instructions Mark had for wiring the emanage said 2 wires should be swapped (these being the rev input and the MAF output). As it turned out the wiring was already correct from the factory - hence a P0100 CEL (MAF failure) and no rev counter  s:( :( s:(

The car is now running fine and having had the opportunity to test drive it on Thursday evening (the first time it ventured out onto the road after Tuesday nights fun) I can confirm that it is now mentally quick. Although it did have to be towed home on one occasion due to a minor problem but I will leave Mark to explain that one  s:) :) s:)

SteveJ

PS. Not quite on the same scale but this seems to have been similar to the fault that grounded (pun not intended!) the latest shuttle launch  s:? :? s:?

Tags: