Quarter Mile

Started by Anonymous, July 25, 2005, 11:03

Anonymous

I took my '2 down to Brize Norton airfield yesterday for some 1/4 mile runs and max speed runs down the (bloody enormous) runway. It was torential rain so certainly not the best conditions.

Anyway, I was very happy with the performance of my stock '2.

15.34 on the quarter mile (only 0.3s off my mate's best time in his S1 Elise).
Indicated 125 on the runway although I backed off as the car started to aquaplane over the standing water. That was a very worrying moment   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

The quarter mile time was more than 1s better than the 2 Clio 182s and 1.5s faster than a CTR. It was also faster than a couple of Fiat Coupe 20VTs, a 328i, a Chrysler Crossfire, a Volvo T5, an Impreza estate thing and various other hot hatches.

However, the fastest on the day was a Honda VFR doing low 11s runs.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Overall, I was very impressed.

James

kanujunkie

what tyres were you useing James, were they stock Potenza's?as they seem to work really well in wet conditions, really good times though, v.impressed
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

No, I have 4 fairly new T1-S. They gave fantastic grip - great launches from 4k revs with no wheelspin.

James

Anonymous

how did you manage to get to Brize?

roger

Quote from: "stevewarbs"how did you manage to get to Brize?

and the timing. Yes, would be good to know...  s8) 8) s8)  

And I didn't even mention the A40   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Indeed, not far from me, would happily spend a day zipping up and down the runway, using my Gtech etc. etc. if it were easy to get on there.

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"

and the timing. Yes, would be good to know...  s8) 8) s8)  

And I didn't even mention the A40   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I would have deserved it  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

It was an event organised by the Brize Bike Club and I tagged along with some members of the Fiat Coupe Club (which I used to belong to). They had proper timing equipment set up on a taxiway and then allowed to do max speed on the full runway (when not in use  :lol: )

Interestingly I did also time with my G-Tec (group buy!) and it wasn't far out - reading +- 1s from the official timings over the 1/4 mile.

James

roger

Quote from: "jamesn"It was an event organised by the Brize Bike Club and I tagged along with some members of the Fiat Coupe Club (which I used to belong to). They had proper timing equipment set up on a taxiway and then allowed to do max speed on the full runway (when not in use   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Interestingly I did also time with my G-Tec (group buy!) and it wasn't far out - reading +- 1s from the official timings over the 1/4 mile.

James

James, would they accept outsiders if they did it again?

If so it would be appreciated if you could keep your ears and eyes open for me / us.

Thanks
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

proeliator2001

I'm guessing you were only faster in the 1/4 mile than the clios and CTR due to it being wet and thus getting a big advantage in traction.  CTRs do the quarter stock in a smidge under 15 seconds with good traction, I think clios are very similar - sounds like the CTR driver had a terrible start off the line   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I didn't think the '2 could hit 100 in under 20 seconds so am surprised you got 125 indicated in 15 seconds   s:? :? s:?    Anyone else get these sorts of figures with a stock '2?  (A CTR takes nearly 16 seconds in the dry to hit 100 and thats with another 60 bhp).
Official - old git alert. 42 years old!
Facts  are meaningless - they can be used to prove anything.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

Anonymous

I totally agree with your analysis - RWD gave me a big advantage in the wet. Even with their traction control, the CTRs and Clios would be at a big disadvantage. Equally, I would not have kept up with the Fiat Coupes in a million years if it had been dry. However, 15.3s seems very good in those conditions and I wonder what time the '2 would manage in the dry?

As for the point about max speed, I think you misread my original post! We were doing the 1/4 mile on the taxiway and max speed on the runway. I didn't check max speed over the 1/4 mile although I suspect it would be around the 80-90 mph mark. I was crossing the line in 3rd so it can't have been that fast.

The point where I got 125mph indicated was during the max speed runs on the runway. Let me tell you, this took considerably longer than 15s   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Brize Norton has an enormously long runway so plenty of time to get the speed up.

James

MRMike

I've done quicker runs than this on the GTECH but was the only one I could lay my hands on..

I couldn't quite believe the figures at first but time and time again it came back with the same 1/4.  

As has bene said key to the times is the traction of the line.  Never got near the 0-60 feet in the 350Z

m http://www.spydermagazine.com/files/speed.jpg m
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

proeliator2001

I see what you mean now, didnt read that the max speed was a seperate event   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

It goes to show how quick the '2 is over slower speeds. I am sure 0-40 oblierates front wheel drive cars completely.  It will be fun come winter to out drag old friends in their CTRs   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Official - old git alert. 42 years old!
Facts  are meaningless - they can be used to prove anything.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

Anonymous

I goaded an A3 2.0 TDI into a bit of frolicking the other day from about 50-80 he caned it past me. Just goes to show the importance of midrange grunt on a straight road. Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to gun it from standing  s8) 8) s8)   Certainly didn't realise that the 2 was capable of a 15s 1/4. Although I did know that it can certainly shift off the line and that the rear drive traction and anorexic weight is a massive advantage when engaging in traffic light departures with front wheel drive jocks

Tags: